Why such a big difference in price?

We chose Carnival over RCI out of PC for our family cruise last summer due to saving close to $10K (18 ppl).  I have to say I definitely prefer RCI.  Carnival was way under staffed and the service was horrible due to this.  We will be back on RCI next summer, though on a smaller class ship, Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore (even better b/c w/in driving distance).

57 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

I paid $3400 with $75 OBC for the Harmony for four (2 adults, 2 kids) in a balcony room. Granted this is end of February/beginning of March so not peak summer time.

No, that is actually peak tourist time in Florida.  Spring break, escaping the cold north, snow birds in residence, etc.

But that is indeed a good price for that time of the year.  🙂 

I agree that I think it has a lot to do with only have 2 Oasis class ships vs 3 in the past.  My 2020 June cruise on the Harmony is over $1000 more than my 2018 & 2019 on the Allure.  I just keep hoping for a great sale to pop up prior to our PIF date and then I can call to get the lower price applied.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CruiseWendy said:

If you're price conscious I guess I can understand the concern. But it's like comparing the stay at a two star resort to a 4-5 star resort and expecting the price and amenities to be the same. Unfortunately price is not the one and only factor for comparison. 

This pretty much sums it up.  Higher quality products cost more.  If sailing on RCI you should expect a higher quality experience across all the different elements of a cruise.  Better food, better entertainment, better on-board activities, etc. etc.  Is it actually better and/or worth the additional cost?  Impossible to say with 100% confidence, subjectivity is very real and the experience of a cruise covers such a wide spectrum of services & amenities, but it's probably safe to say demand hasn't pushed the price up to where it is entirely by accident.

Of course you can always price a Disney cruise, then you will think the RCL price is a bargin, lol.  I priced a DCL cruise for the same time next June and it was $2500 more than my Harmony cruise.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tltay said:

I agree that I think it has a lot to do with only have 2 Oasis class ships vs 3 in the past.  My 2020 June cruise on the Harmony is over $1000 more than my 2018 & 2019 on the Allure.  I just keep hoping for a great sale to pop up prior to our PIF date and then I can call to get the lower price applied.

Same with exact same cabin, sailing at same time of the year, same embarkation port, same class of ship....Oasis versus her replacement Harmony, which is over a grand more expensive now.  😞 

Just now, island lady said:

As will be the "new port" premium with Coco Cay.  😮 

I don't think Miami will ever drop off - it seems that ever since Terminal A opened, the taxes on those sailings are now a pretty steady $20 above PE, whereas in the past they were roughly the same.

1 minute ago, smplybcause said:

Well it's new to Port Canaveral, so doesn't the clock start over then? :classic_huh:

Ports don't matter that much, though Galveston seems to have lots of low $/day sailing rates - an Oasis class there may improve that.

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Ports don't matter that much, though Galveston seems to have lots of low $/day sailing rates - an Oasis class there may improve that.

I was being facetious and playing off the infamous Royal math idea. :classic_wink:

Though Oasis was usually a bit more than Allure was down in FLL/MIA -- but like $100 not $1000. 

16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I've almost always found Tampa, Gslveston and SJ to be the lowest priced ports for Royal

• Like 1

17 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

You cannot just compare prices. You have to compare ships as well. The Breeze is not one of Carnival newest and best ships so the price probably wouldn’t be as high as a newer ship like the Horizon. The Harmony is a one of RC’a newest ships and will cost more. This is true even when priced with older RC ships.

I went on a Vista 6 night sailing and it was more expensive than a 7 night Oasis sailing.

Yep, I was going to say the same thing. Harmony first launched in 2016, with Symphony coming shortly after, and those are the newest ships in the fleet.  EVERYBODY wants to sail on those ships.  Oasis and Allure are very similar ships (same class), but are a bit older (Oasis launched in 2008).  I've found reasonable prices on Oasis when Harmony and Symphony are absolutely ridiculous.

That being said, the Oasis class is extremely popular, and is often times among the more expensive ships within the fleet.  Like I said, EVERYBODY wants Harmony and Symphony, and then there are those that "settle" for Oasis or Allure for the same class.  If you choose a different class, the rates can drop significantly.

That being said, in my opinion, Carnival is more often than not the cheapest option for any given week......and there's a reason why.

44 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

The "new ship" premium is taking a while to drop off.

It is! ☺️

But we have a Jr Ste booked for next December, and I've grabbed up 3 smaller price drops over the last three months so far, amounting to $500+.   

They are chiseling away at the price, a tiny bit at a time.  lol

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I've almost always found Tampa, Gslveston and SJ to be the lowest priced ports for Royal

Agreed.

I guess it's b/c those places are less touristy (especially international tourist) than Miami, Ft Lauderdale & Port Canaveral?

Plus, the ships have lost that new ship smell.

42 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

I don't think Miami will ever drop off - it seems that ever since Terminal A opened, the taxes on those sailings are now a pretty steady $20 above PE, whereas in the past they were roughly the same.

No, I was talking about how it seemed cruises going to Coco Cay since the completion change....well....someone has to pay for the new "Theme park experience" at that port.  

• Like 1

I've been on Allure and did a 5 day on Breeze. No comparison !    I was bored with the Breeze ship in 3 days.  Food was wonderful though in main dining and casual buffet.  Embarkation and debarkation was a nightmare. For an additional $500 per person, you will not be bored or disappointed.  You will be in aww of the Oasis class ship!  Going on Harmony in March 2020!  

37 minutes ago, island lady said:

No, I was talking about how it seemed cruises going to Coco Cay since the completion change....well....someone has to pay for the new "Theme park experience" at that port.  

I get you, but we just went there on Empress for free😎

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BensonFan711 said:

Yep, I was going to say the same thing. Harmony first launched in 2016, with Symphony coming shortly after, and those are the newest ships in the fleet. 

Spectrum of the Seas entered the fleet in April of this year.  🙂 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:23 AM, PMGS247 said:

This pretty much sums it up.  Higher quality products cost more.  If sailing on RCI you should expect a higher quality experience across all the different elements of a cruise.  Better food, better entertainment, better on-board activities, etc. etc.  

There are no hard facts to support RC has better food better entertainment, better on-board activities etc.  

10 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

There are no hard facts to support RC has better food better entertainment, better on-board activities etc.  

Difficult to attribute hard facts to subjective judgements.

• Like 2