Quick Internet Questions

Murphey

Heads up never purchase your internet pre-cruise get it once you get on board because you get an additional 10% off for being Elite. Yes one device and it's interchangeable.

Edited by Jeter02

11 minutes ago, Murphey said:

1.  Even though I'm elite, $129.99 is a good deal for Medallion Net for a 28 day cruise.  Yes?

2.  This is for one device, yes?

3.  Are the devices interchangeable?
Thank you.  

What ship are you on? 

Recently there has been an additional discount for the loss of the (free) Platinum/Elite minutes if you purchase the unlimited once onboard.

$129 is still a great deal for 28 days though.

If eligible for free internet minutes (platinum & elite) you’ll receive 500 free minutes for 28 days.  On a recent 14 day cruise on the Royal with MedallionNet the unlimited plan was $120 in advance & onboard was $90 in exchange for the free minutes.

However some posts have reported having a different experience so your experience could vary.  For my Sky 28 day cruise it’s $129.99 but 500 minutes should be sufficient for me.  If like on the Royal they offer a 25% discount onboard in lieu of my free minutes then would consider purchasing the unlimited plan.

• Like 1

I read that the $129.99 is a sale price due to EmeraldP just getting its MedallionNet activation (next month). I believe it is half or so off i.e. a lot more than 10% off. But the $130 price is limited time and/or capacity-controlled, so take it now if you're going to. 

It is for one device AT A TIME. You can switch between devices; I believe the new login kicks the previous one off. 

Edited by crystalspin

On 7/20/2019 at 10:45 AM, Colo Cruiser said:

What ship are you on? 

Recently there has been an additional discount for the loss of the (free) Platinum/Elite minutes if you purchase the unlimited once onboard.

ColoCruiser, we are on the 28 day LAX-SYD on the Ruby.

Edited by Murphey

31 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

What an awesome cruise!

Yes, we are excited about it, and we added the 10 day Queensland cruise after.  Were you just on the Sapphire in June?

I was on the Sapphire for most of June.  The internet was as slow as the old dialup days and was unuseable many times.  So do not plan on using it. 

I was on the CB last winter and managed to have minutes left over from my free P/E allotment.  So for me no need to purchase extra minutes.  I only use it to check email and complete financial matters if needed.  Not sure if I would ever buy any more minutes on ships with the new fast internet.  

On 7/20/2019 at 1:39 PM, Jeter02 said:

Heads up never purchase your internet pre-cruise get it once you get on board because you get an additional 10% off for being Elite. Yes one device and it's interchangeable.

On 7/20/2019 at 1:45 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

What ship are you on? 

On 7/20/2019 at 2:57 PM, crystalspin said:

I read that the $129.99 is a sale price due to EmeraldP just getting its MedallionNet activation (next month). I believe it is half or so off i.e. a lot more than 10% off. But the $130 price is limited time and/or capacity-controlled, so take it now if you're going to. 

It is for one device AT A TIME. You can switch between devices; I believe the new login kicks the previous one off. 

Jeter02:  Plat/Elite get 25% off the prevailing package price that is sold to those with lower Captain's Circle status.  This is pre-cruise or day 1 on embarking.  However, you may find that the "day 1" price on board is less than what is being offered in the Cruise Personalizer.  As stated, you can logout of one device and then login to another.

Colo's comments are pretty much right on - there seems to be a typically lower price point on board (embarkation day only) than offered pre-cruise.  However, the Plat/Elite discount is still the same 25% off the "regular" price offered - be it on board or pre-cruise.  And yes, under $5/day is an excellent price point.  You did not indicate explicitly, but I assume the $130 package price is pre-cruise.

Crystalspin is suggesting that the $130 Emerald offer is because it is just coming up live with MedallionNet.  However, AstroFlyer reports in Post #4 above that same price for his 28-day cruise.  So, it doesn't appear that Emerald has any special pricing.  However, if it is known or thought that MedallionNet pricing may go up prior to your cruise, then pre-booking using the Cruise Personalizer will protect the pricing. 

So,  think about that I guess and how far off your cruise is.  You may want to use OBC to pay for internet and that means ordering it on board.  If you do order it ahead of time, check the pricing on "Day 1" and if lower, ask the Internet Manager nicely for a rebate of the difference.

Edited by steelers36

My apologies to the OP for jumping onto this thread, but I have a similar question and didn't want to start a new one, and I'm still confused as to what to do, and I think the conclusion will help us both anyway??

My first cruise as Platinum, I will be on a 16 day TA and I know will get 250 minutes, but that works out to only 15 mins a day and I'm guessing I will need at least 20-25 minutes a day?  So from what I'd read earlier, I had decided I should snag a Platinum discount on embarkation day, because everyone was telling me you must wait to trade in your minutes to get the best deal.  But now I see that my cruise personalizer is offering unlimited for $130 and it says that is 50% off the regular price if I book now.  I'll be really disappointed if I'm only offered 25% and have to pay $195 when I arrive on the ship.  What do I do?

1 hour ago, SandG said:

My apologies to the OP for jumping onto this thread, but I have a similar question and didn't want to start a new one, and I'm still confused as to what to do, and I think the conclusion will help us both anyway??

My first cruise as Platinum, I will be on a 16 day TA and I know will get 250 minutes, but that works out to only 15 mins a day and I'm guessing I will need at least 20-25 minutes a day?  So from what I'd read earlier, I had decided I should snag a Platinum discount on embarkation day, because everyone was telling me you must wait to trade in your minutes to get the best deal.  But now I see that my cruise personalizer is offering unlimited for $130 and it says that is 50% off the regular price if I book now.  I'll be really disappointed if I'm only offered 25% and have to pay $195 when I arrive on the ship.  What do I do?

My experience has been that the pre-cruise discounted price is for any passenger.  Upon boarding the ship I had the option to exchange my free minutes for an additional 25% discount off the pre-cruise price.  I didn’t purchase in advance & thus do not know if passengers who purchased in advance received a discount in exchange for their free minutes.

How the pre-cruise discount has been described has varied & believe it’s how they market the discount.  My pre-cruise discounted price ($120) was discounted another 25% ($90) & have read posts about others with the same experience but not everyone.  No one knows for sure how Princess will manage the unlimited plans in the future but based on past experiences I’d expect an additional discount off the pre-cruise price in exchange for my free minutes.

Here’s a screenshot of my options onboard in exchange for my free minutes on a 14 day cruise but instead kept my 250 free minutes.

60ED7493-70E4-49B1-81CB-C4980BC3C68B.png

Edited by Astro Flyer

22 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

My experience has been that the pre-cruise discounted price is for any passenger.  Upon boarding the ship I had the option to exchange my free minutes for an additional 25% discount off the pre-cruise price.  I didn’t purchase in advance & thus do not know if passengers who purchased in advance received a discount in exchange for their free minutes.

How the pre-cruise discount has been described has varied & believe it’s how they market the discount.  My pre-cruise discounted price ($120) was discounted another 25% ($90) & have read posts about others with the same experience but not everyone.  No one knows for sure how Princess will manage the unlimited plans in the future but based on past experiences I’d expect an additional discount off the pre-cruise price in exchange for my free minutes.

Here’s a screenshot of my options onboard in exchange for my free minutes on a 14 day cruise but instead kept my 250 free minutes.

< ... snipped snapshot ...>

Thank you, Astro, this is very encouraging.  Your price for 14 days is a little less than the price offered me for 16 days, so hopefully I'll be offered 25% off the $130 then ($97.50), a little more than what you'd paid, and this would all make some sense,   

30 minutes ago, SandG said:

Thank you, Astro, this is very encouraging.  Your price for 14 days is a little less than the price offered me for 16 days, so hopefully I'll be offered 25% off the $130 then ($97.50), a little more than what you'd paid, and this would all make some sense,   

You’re welcome...our 28 day cruise has the unlimited plan for $130 which is only $10 more for another 2 weeks.  My guess is because the first 2 weeks are very port intensive they’re offering a lower price.  My cell plan provides free data & texts in our European ports so we’ll probably just keep our 500 minutes for each of us.

Making sense doesn’t always apply but hopefully it works great for you. 🙂

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 7/22/2019 at 4:32 PM, SandG said:

My first cruise as Platinum, I will be on a 16 day TA and I know will get 250 minutes, but that works out to only 15 mins a day and I'm guessing I will need at least 20-25 minutes a day? ...............

My wife and I are both Platinum (having sailed together for that number of Princess cruises). I assume we would both have those 250 minutes for our 10 day cruises. Or is that 250 for the cabin itself? In any event, even 250 minutes for our cabin would probably be enough for our minimal internet needs; basically checking email and our airline connections every 2-3 days . I probably spend 2 hours a day at home surfing the net! But on the ships I rarely feel the need to connect......

45 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

My wife and I are both Platinum (having sailed together for that number of Princess cruises). I assume we would both have those 250 minutes for our 10 day cruises. Or is that 250 for the cabin itself? In any event, even 250 minutes for our cabin would probably be enough for our minimal internet needs; basically checking email and our airline connections every 2-3 days . I probably spend 2 hours a day at home surfing the net! But on the ships I rarely feel the need to connect......

It is a per qualified passenger benefit. Both you and your wife will receive 250 minutes, total 500, for a 10 day voyage. Each will require a separate log in.

Need some clarification.  Will be on the CB for 10 days so I should be getting 250 minutes free.   Then I read in a post that free minutes are no longer there for Platinum and Elite but info on the personalizer doesn't say that.   In addition, this is a medallion ship and the following is according to my personalizer.  Do not know what it means.  My head is spinning.

Medallionnet 4-Device Promotion 1 $194.80 Compliments Of PRINCESS CRUISES

Complimentary Gift

1 hour ago, Northern Light said:

Need some clarification.  Will be on the CB for 10 days so I should be getting 250 minutes free.   Then I read in a post that free minutes are no longer there for Platinum and Elite but info on the personalizer doesn't say that.   In addition, this is a medallion ship and the following is according to my personalizer.  Do not know what it means.  My head is spinning.

Medallionnet 4-Device Promotion 1 $194.80 Compliments Of PRINCESS CRUISES

Complimentary Gift

The free internet minutes are still provided to Platinum/Elite passengers & I had the option to exchange them onboard for an additional 25% discount off the advance purchase price..

I’ve never seen a complimentary gift for an unlimited plan & I’d check with Princess or my TA to explain the gift.

Edited by Astro Flyer

On 7/22/2019 at 3:36 PM, Astro Flyer said:

60ED7493-70E4-49B1-81CB-C4980BC3C68B.png

This is super helpful!  Do you or anyone else know if the 4 device plan is shareable by those in the same stateroom?  I can't see why one person would purchase a 4-device plan.

52 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

The free internet minutes are still provided to Platinum/Elite passengers & I had the option to exchange them onboard for an additional 25% discount off the advance purchase price..

I’ve never seen a complimentary gift for an unlimited plan & I’d check with Princess or my TA to explain the gift.

That relieves my mind about the free minutes and will certainly contact Princess to explain the gift. Thank you. 

5 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

This is super helpful!  Do you or anyone else know if the 4 device plan is shareable by those in the same stateroom?  I can't see why one person would purchase a 4-device plan.

I haven’t purchased a 4-Device plan but have read posts that it’s shareable with others in your cabin.  

Some have even posted being able to have a family member in another cabin being able to share that plan.  I don’t know how that worked...maybe they had to use the purchaser’s sign-in information.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

I haven’t purchased a 4-Device plan but have read posts that it’s shareable with others in your cabin.  

Some have even posted being able to have a family member in another cabin being able to share that plan.  I don’t know how that worked...maybe they had to use the purchaser’s sign-in information.

With that 4 device plan, you can be logged into up to 4 devices.  Cabin location is irrelevant.  Whoever books the plan decides who to give credentials to.  Same with a single device plan, but if sharing at all, only one device can be connected at a time. 

PS - Using Astro's example, we could have booked a 4 device package and shared with our friends in another cabin.  Never thought of doing it, but it would be technically possible and then save 50%.

Edited by steelers36
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2019 at 5:32 PM, SandG said:

On 7/22/2019 at 7:09 PM, SandG said:

Astro may be right (due to his experience), but it is also possible (this happened to us) that the pricing in your Personalizer for pre-cruise purchase is already discounted 25% from whatever they are offering the package to "regular non-status" customers.  Something like $175.  It would be great if you could call Princess and inquire if the price being offered to you in the Personalizer is the same as for everyone, or are you getting your 25% off.   If you do, please let us know here.

Princess may not be consistent with the above, but any Platinum/Elite guest should be getting 25% off the regular price even if booking in advance because this is our new benefit in lieu of the 250 minutes (an election we make thus far).

Regardless, it is most likely you will get the best price on board on embarkation day (embarkation day special).  That pricing chart will be in the International Cafe and also shown to you once you connect to the ship Wifi and sign in.