Questions about Departure Day

phinny99

We leave Saturday on our first cruise ever on the Carnival Glory.  Super excited but have a few questions!!

1.  If we board at 12:30, what time will we actually be able to go into our cabin?  Do you get your room card (key) right when you board?

2.  We are unsure if we should bring a carry on with swimsuits and a few things when we board or if we should check all bags.  Should we check all bags with porter? Will be have access to our cabin before the bags arrive?  I have heard that it can be quite a few hours for you to get your bags delivered to your cabin.

3.  Anything else we should know about departure day?  There are 4 of us going and none have ever cruised before!!  

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, phinny99 said:

We leave Saturday on our first cruise ever on the Carnival Glory.  Super excited but have a few questions!!

1.  If we board at 12:30, what time will we actually be able to go into our cabin?  Do you get your room card (key) right when you board?

2.  We are unsure if we should bring a carry on with swimsuits and a few things when we board or if we should check all bags.  Should we check all bags with porter? Will be have access to our cabin before the bags arrive?  I have heard that it can be quite a few hours for you to get your bags delivered to your cabin.

3.  Anything else we should know about departure day?  There are 4 of us going and none have ever cruised before!!  

Thanks!

Rooms are ready at 130, we don't check no bags with the porters because they throw them around and you never know when bags will arrive. We are platinum so we go right to our room so that is the difference.

Edited by modes

31 minutes ago, phinny99 said:

Thanks!

1. Unless you have FTTF your cabin will not be ready until 130pm. My understanding is it will be in your mailbox by your cabin door. You use your boarding pass to make purchases until you pickup your S&S cards at 130pm. This procedure might and might not be in effect on all ships.

2. Bring in your carry on all you think you might need for the first day. Luggage sometimes takes til the early evening to get to your cabin. Don’t worry about first nights dinner dress. You can wear what you wore boarding, no swimsuits.

3. Have lunch, relax, enjoy sail away,  and explore  the ship.

Glory is our favorite ship, sailed her 5 times.    

Have a great 1st cruise.                               

Edited by skrufy
Addition

6 minutes ago, phinny99 said:

Thanks!

Hi

Welcome to cruise critic.

Cabin are generally ready around 1:30 p.m. Most times now, they are having the key cards at your cabin mail box when the cabins are ready instead of giving the out at check in.

If you do want to carry all you bags on board with you, I would check in closer to 1 p.m. By then, the lines are much smaller (so less waiting) and by the time you board your cabins should be ready. If you go much earlier you would need to mind your luggage. 

If you do check your bags certainly bring a carry on with anything of value, as well as a change of clothes. If you are intending on sitting around the pools or hot tubs, then yes, bring a bathing suit. Checked bags will be delivered generally between 4-5 p.m., but they can come later (sometimes earlier).

Most people head to the Lido deck after boarding to get something to eat, and drink. Since it's your first time, explore the ship. Pick up a "Fun Times" flyer, it will have a list of all venues with their operating times, as well as times and location for any shows or events happening. Also if you can, try to get a small "map" of the ship. They are small cards that are available. Ask for one as soon as you board. If you are ever not sure where you are, there are similar maps at each elevator station.

Don't forget just before sail away all bars and restaurants will close. Everyone is required to attend the "muster drill". Depending on how they do it on your ship you may have to stand around for 30-45 min. It is best to not be too intoxicated at this time.

After that is done... have fun.

Any specific questions, just ask, otherwise just browse these threads, most everything has been gone over many time before.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, phinny99 said:

Thanks!

Yes, check your bags with the porters, tip them $1-2 per bag and they will be fine.  No need to be dragging them around.  It may be awhile since they are delivering 1000s of bags.  The drinks on the trays aren't free but they sure are tasty.  You will use your boarding pass to purchase drinks before getting your sail and sign card.  Your sail and sign which doubles as your room key will be in your door mailbox when your room is ready.  

Glory has the so-called secret decks so go all the way forward on deck 6 or 7, look for the doors on the sides and go out.

You are going to LOVE it.  That is why many of us are so passionate about cruising.  

• Like 1

We prefer checking our bags, except for a carry on bag, with the porters. Luggage can be awkward to have with you at lunch, and out on the decks or wandering the ship before rooms are ready at 1:30. My suggestion is to have anything you may need for a few hours, in the carry on, such as bathing suits, sunglasses, sunscreen, medications and toiletries. You can wear very casual clothes into the dining room (no bathing suits) the first night because your luggage might not arrive until after dinner. 

Hope you all have a great time.

Hi, others have given you great information.  Check your bags but, keep your meds, valuable and TRAVEL DOCUMENTS with you.

When you enter the building, have your travel documents in hand, digging around for them, slows the process for everyone.

Once on board, go to Lido deck to eat or explore the ship. Expect crowds at the elevators, everyone is heading to the Lido.

There are several places to eat.  Mid way the ship is the Deli, at the back (aft) there's pizza. 

When going to your cabin - even number cabins are on one side, odd numbers on the other.  Sorry, I don't know the ships terminology for right/left sides of ship. 😉 Please attend the Muster Drill, it's for your own safety. If you don't show up, your name will be called.

Since this is a first for you & your party, download the Carnival Hub app BEFORE you arrive to ship.  Read the FunTimes, this is where you'll find all the information as to what's happening, times and locations on the ship. With the Hub, you can purchase the "chat" feature for $5.00 per device for the entire cruise.

Have a great time and happy sailing! 🚢

9 hours ago, modes said:

Rooms are ready at 130, we don't check no bags with the porters because they throw them around and you never know when bags will arrive. We are platinum so we go right to our room so that is the difference.

Porters at ports handle luggage with a gentle touch compared to how luggage is handled by airline employees. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

When going to your cabin - even number cabins are on one side, odd numbers on the other.  Sorry, I don't know the ships terminology for right/left sides of ship. 

Even number cabins are on the port side (left) and odd number cabins are on the starboard side (right). 

I am now Platinum, but before I was I purchased FTTF.  I know there are a lot of people on these boards who have their reasons for not purchasing it, but for us it was worth it.  With FTTF, you can enter your cabin the minute you board and drop off your luggage or carryons. 

Without FTTF, you may enter your cabin after 1:30.  In that case, I would check most of my luggage with the porters and tip $1-2 per bag.  I would pack a light carry on and in that, have medications, a change of clothes for that evening in the event you don't receive your checked luggage until late.  I also pack a swim suit and my makeup.  This can all be accomplished in a back pack or large tote. You won't receive your S&S cards until the cabins are ready for entrance after 1:30.  Until then, as previous posters said, you use your boarding pass for all onboard charges until then.

Have a great time! 

We keep one bag with us that always includes our Passports, cash, medicine and one or so changes of clothes including swimwear.  We take that bag to our room at 1:30.  Our checked baggage arrives later in the afternoon typically.  Hauling luggage is a pain.  We've found that we're fine without the majority of ours for a few hours.  Typically we'll be able to fully unpack once ours arrives prior to going to dinner.

You are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per adult and a 12 pack of soda which should all be carry on. Keep valuables in carry on along with a few essentials for the first few hours. A backpack works great as your hands are free. Just don’t bump anyone, please.

I encourage you to download the Carnival Hub app. As long as your phone is in Airplane mode, you can use the ship’s WiFi to keep the app open for free. You will be able to see maps of the ship, menus, hours for dining areas and list of shows and times that you can set alerts for so you don’t miss anything. 

Enjoy!!!

• Thanks 1

I have a question regarding the Hub App. The three of us have it downloaded on our phones already. My question is this: Where do I/we pay the $5.00 per phone to use the onboard chat feature? Can I do it pre-cruise or do I have to wait until we are on board?

30 minutes ago, mss22859 said:

I have a question regarding the Hub App. The three of us have it downloaded on our phones already. My question is this: Where do I/we pay the $5.00 per phone to use the onboard chat feature? Can I do it pre-cruise or do I have to wait until we are on board?

Once you are on board, open the app and click on log in. Follow the instructions. That's when you have the opportunity to buy the chat feature. The $5 is added to your Sail and Sign account. If you don't do it then, you can do it later on. I will say sometimes the chat works good, and sometimes not. If you leave the ship in ports you will have to log back in every time. Guest services can help if you have any problems. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

5 minutes ago, Bostwick girl said:

Once you are on board, open the app and click on log in. Follow the instructions. That's when you have the opportunity to buy the chat feature. The $5 is added to your Sail and Sign account. If you don't do it then, you can do it later on. I will say sometimes the chat works good, and sometimes not. If you leave the ship in ports you will have to log back in every time. Guest services can help if you have any problems. Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am sure we will have a great cruise!

To add to the last post, I have found closing the app and opening it again several times a day improves the chat function. The first time I used the chat function a few years ago it didn’t work very well (a lot of “lost” messages). However, it has worked much better on subsequent cruises since I started closing and opening the app several times a day.

Edited by PhillyFan33579

36 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

To add to the last post, I have found closing the app and opening it again several times a day improves the chat function. The first time I used the chat function a few years ago it didn’t work very well (a lot of “lost” messages). However, it has worked much better on subsequent cruises since I started closing and opening the app several times a day.

Thank you as well! I will have to write all this stuff down in my notes so I don't forget,lol!

6 hours ago, mss22859 said:

On our last cruise, all 5 of us purchased the Chat function... (2 cabins, 10 yo grandson, it just made sense to be able to keep in touch). It worked really well most of the time (especially when the people you're trying to reach actually look at their phones 🙄) but the app only worked for 4 out of the 5 of us!

My daughter has an Apple iPhone 8S - same model as mine- and she couldn't get the chat portion of the hub app to work for her at all- sending or receiving messages. She even went to Guest Services and they worked with her at length but couldn't get it to work, so they refunded her the money for the app for her phone. Just make sure you go there if you're having issues with it, they're really experienced at working through many types of issues related to the chat function, even the wifi process, if needed.

On 7/26/2019 at 8:57 AM, jsglow said:

We keep one bag with us that always includes our Passports, cash, medicine and one or so changes of clothes including swimwear.  We take that bag to our room at 1:30.  Our checked baggage arrives later in the afternoon typically.  Hauling luggage is a pain.  We've found that we're fine without the majority of ours for a few hours.  Typically we'll be able to fully unpack once ours arrives prior to going to dinner.

We do the same. We get on as early as possible, usually by noon. We carry one small bag on (leave the others with the baggage handlers) once on we have lunch and weather permitting we change in to our swim suits, grab a drink and our cruise has begun!

3 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

My daughter has an Apple iPhone 8S - same model as mine- and she couldn't get the chat portion of the hub app to work for her at all- sending or receiving messages. She even went to Guest Services and they worked with her at length but couldn't get it to work, so they refunded her the money for the app for her phone. Just make sure you go there if you're having issues with it, they're really experienced at working through many types of issues related to the chat function, even the wifi process, if needed.

If you share the same Apple ID, then the chat function will not work.