Beverage package sale but upgrade cost has increased

webecruzin2

1 minute ago, DorothyLau said:

You do know that if you have the classic and want a drink/wine that is on premium, you just have to pay the difference.  Typically it is only $1 and since we’re not that such big drinkers, it is more practical to pay the difference than upgrading.

Does the classic package include bottled water and specialty coffee or would you have to pay outright for those kinds of things?

On 7/26/2019 at 9:08 AM, killsport said:

@dis2cruise I'm on Infinity (late December)

Before you up grade, make sure that the premium alcohol you are seeking to purchase is available on your sailing...we did this last December on the Infinity, only to find that the brand of alcohol my husband wanted wasn't available on the ship...different brands for different ships...if this makes sense to you...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2flacruisers said:

Before you up grade, make sure that the premium alcohol you are seeking to purchase is available on your sailing...we did this last December on the Infinity, only to find that the brand of alcohol my husband wanted wasn't available on the ship...different brands for different ships...if this makes sense to you...

Thanks -- since we generally like to get the nicer wines and the Zacapa 23, it makes sense for us. But that is good advice (knowing that each ship / cruise may have a different stock)...

On 7/26/2019 at 8:54 AM, dis2cruise said:

Which cruise are you taking...I didn’t see this when I signed into my account.

Im on the Edge 9/20 sailing wondering if this is different promotion then your cruise??

Constellation 9/3 

21 hours ago, DorothyLau said:

You do know that if you have the classic and want a drink/wine that is on premium, you just have to pay the difference.  Typically it is only $1 and since we’re not that such big drinkers, it is more practical to pay the difference than upgrading.

Yes thanks.  We've decided to just wait until we're on board and see what's available in the classic package.
It's really just the Chardonnay that I'm concerned with and I like Quantro in my Cosmo, not Triple Sec.
DH likes the better rum but it's no big deal to him really. 

It might be better just to pay the difference once in a while, we'll see.

Thanks everyone!

22 hours ago, bengaltiger1 said:

Beginning of December last year and I mean $. At the time the conversion was 1.31 dollars to the pound.  That’s what I have used as the conversion. In fact one of the cruises works out at just over $8 per day.  The other one, just over $9 per day.  

Thanks.  That seems to be the best price I have seen for the daily upgrade.

5 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks.  That seems to be the best price I have seen for the daily upgrade.

I think I hit lucky.  I still can’t figure out why the daily charge was different on the two cruises. Both on the Solstice on a B2B. 

On 7/26/2019 at 7:42 AM, Georgia_Peaches said:

So the classic package was free? or was it rolled into the price of your cruise fare?  Meaning if you didn't want the drink package, and they took that perk away, would your cruise fare have been less?

If the classic package was in fact free, then you would essentially be paying $90 pp (9 nights) extra for the upgrade.  So $180 for a premium drink package, an $840 savings if you had bought it outright, seems like a pretty good deal to me.  Why wait?

I have noticed that Celebrity offers two prices now. A lower no extra perk price or a pick two perk price. There is a big difference in price among the two choices. Unfortunately the no perk price also comes with a non refundable deposit.  Even though I would pick the drink package and probably the $300 OBC the prices have become out of reach for me. I have found better pricing on Royal Caribbean even if I buy the drink package. I am looking at NCL Encore a brand new ship to Bermuda This time the itinerary is the destination and not the cruise line or ship. I have never considered NCL but they have an attractive offer right now and I can get the drink package a dining package, internet and $50 towards excursions  for less than what Celebrity wants for the 20 yr old Summit which we have already been on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have never considered NCL but they have an attractive offer right now and I can get the drink package a dining package, internet and $50 towards excursions

Just be careful with their gratuities. I looked at NCL recently with this sort of offer. They price their beverage package at around $100/pp/pd and charge you tips on it (same as they do on many of their "free" inclusions). So you're paying $20/pp/pd for the "free" beverage package. However, if the total works out in your favor and the ship & itinerary are good, enjoy! Let us know afterwards if you enjoyed it less, the same, or more than your Celebrity cruises, and why. We are always looking for a good deal (on any cruise line) where we can have fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killsport said:

Just be careful with their gratuities. I looked at NCL recently with this sort of offer. They price their beverage package at around $100/pp/pd and charge you tips on it (same as they do on many of their "free" inclusions). So you're paying $20/pp/pd for the "free" beverage package. However, if the total works out in your favor and the ship & itinerary are good, enjoy! Let us know afterwards if you enjoyed it less, the same, or more than your Celebrity cruises, and why. We are always looking for a good deal (on any cruise line) where we can have fun!

I agree. There's always a "gotcha" with NCL. Besides the extra charge to select the "free" beverage and specialty dining package, the $50 per port shore excursion credit is just that- $50 per port. If you don't use $50 in one port, it doesn't carry to the next. 

I also don't like how the beverage package doesn't include water, coffee, tea, etc. When I sailed NCL it was fine since I brought on my own water, but now that's banned.

I called yesterday after someone on our roll call reported getting the upgrade for approx $11 pppd in Canadian.  After spending half an hour on the phone with the agent putting me on hold several times while she looked into it, I was finally advised that the upgrade price is the difference between the regular price for classic and premium, not the sale price.

She added the option to upgrade to my cruise planner since it wasn't there.  I advised her we wouldn't be upgrading at a price of $17 pppd....she said that the person who got it for $11 got a good deal and someone made a mistake.  Here is what I see on cruise planner (remember this is CDN $$)

image.png.e52f6cb8bfd284756650db1f4dc68997.png

4 hours ago, killsport said:

So you're paying $20/pp/pd for the "free" beverage package.

Yes, that's true.  But $20 pp per day is still cheaper than buying most drink packages, regardless of the cruise line.  I wish they would allow you to pay the gratuity on the drink package at the end of the trip so that you could potentially use OBC to cover the cost.  But they don't.

5 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I have noticed that Celebrity offers two prices now. A lower no extra perk price or a pick two perk price. There is a big difference in price among the two choices. Unfortunately the no perk price also comes with a non refundable deposit.  Even though I would pick the drink package and probably the $300 OBC the prices have become out of reach for me. I have found better pricing on Royal Caribbean even if I buy the drink package. I am looking at NCL Encore a brand new ship to Bermuda This time the itinerary is the destination and not the cruise line or ship. I have never considered NCL but they have an attractive offer right now and I can get the drink package a dining package, internet and $50 towards excursions  for less than what Celebrity wants for the 20 yr old Summit which we have already been on.

I wondered about that.  It seems that there is no such thing as a "free" drink package.  The cruise line will get their money one way or another.  When we sail with Celebrity, we try to go in a RS which includes a drink package (among other perks) in the cost of the fare.  It's hard to beat the NCL offer though, even with the added gratuity on the drink package.

On 7/27/2019 at 10:46 AM, 2flacruisers said:

What was your husband looking for? We are also going to be on the Infinity for the first time in October. We have been on Equinox, Silhouette and Summit and they have always had the same brands of alcohol. Didn’t realize that different ships have different brands. Guess we can’t go by what the lists show that they have. Ugh! I’m sure hoping that they have the champagne that I usually have!

I was able to upgrade in cruise planner today for the Summit.  The pricec was $10.80 per day with the gratuity.  Within the planner there was a banner for "upgrade your beverage package" in addition to the normal prided section for drink packages.

I drink Disaronno which is not part of the classic, and we like Pellegrino at dinner, also not part of classic. 

if enough items are an issue for my wife we can upgrade her when on board.

On 7/28/2019 at 4:01 PM, Purplsmurf said:

What was your husband looking for? We are also going to be on the Infinity for the first time in October. We have been on Equinox, Silhouette and Summit and they have always had the same brands of alcohol. Didn’t realize that different ships have different brands. Guess we can’t go by what the lists show that they have. Ugh! I’m sure hoping that they have the champagne that I usually have!

He was looking for the Jack Daniels higher end...

Don't go by the lists.....those are examples and some aren't even stocked.  We just returned from the Constellation where Absolut Elix is listed and they haven't had any on-board in months (according to the martini bartender). 

Celebrity usually has the basic labels.  The "highest end" bourbons I've found recently are woodford and woodford double oak.  Wines, champagnes and the like do vary a bit by ship. 

When you find a list...I say a list because there are different lists floating around....keep  in mind that the included liquors and drinks are based on price....the list is illustrative.  There are many mixed drinks not on the "list" that fall within each package.  In general, if a drink is made with one of the liquors on the list for your package, then the mixed drink will be in your package, but always ask first.

Here is the "official" list on celebrity's web.  Keep in mind that "official" and "on celebrity's web" are also representative and subject to change at any time.

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/04_25_OB_SP_BeveragePackageBrochure-V2.051518.pdf

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 6:58 PM, bebe08 said:

I called yesterday after someone on our roll call reported getting the upgrade for approx $11 pppd in Canadian.  After spending half an hour on the phone with the agent putting me on hold several times while she looked into it, I was finally advised that the upgrade price is the difference between the regular price for classic and premium, not the sale price.

She added the option to upgrade to my cruise planner since it wasn't there.  I advised her we wouldn't be upgrading at a price of $17 pppd....she said that the person who got it for $11 got a good deal and someone made a mistake.  Here is what I see on cruise planner (remember this is CDN $$)

image.png.e52f6cb8bfd284756650db1f4dc68997.png

That wasn’t my experience last December. My upgrade cost was definitely based on the sale price.  I am in the UK.  I would call again and hope that you get a different agent.  Celebrity call centres know for the consistency of their inconsistent answers 😄

Thanks I was sure that was the case last time I upgraded.  The sale is now over.  Will wait and see if there is another sale, or what the price to upgrade is on board.  If its too much it works out better for us just to pay the difference for the higher end drinks.  Its mainly for DH who likes his scotch.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2019 at 7:59 PM, bebe08 said:

Thanks I was sure that was the case last time I upgraded.  The sale is now over.  Will wait and see if there is another sale, or what the price to upgrade is on board.  If its too much it works out better for us just to pay the difference for the higher end drinks.  Its mainly for DH who likes his scotch.  

Asked my travel agent about the offer. They said the only way to get it was to cancel my booking and re-book meaning I would loose my deposit (£1700.00) so it wasn't worth it.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:32 PM, Scottygirl1 said:

Can you upgrade part way through a cruise if you find the Classic package isn't what you want?  I mean can you just pay the extra for the remaining days?

I my experience, I have been able to upgade to premium on day-3 evening ( embarkation day is not a full day, and no Capn-Club drinks either).  But it seems a 'gray' area about adding it very long after cruise start. 

For example, we're reserved on Hawaii-to-Vancouver next May.  About 5 days around island, 5 ocean crossing.  It would not seem in X interest to permit upgrade as late as 6th day start of non-port ocean crossing.

GOOD NEWS: I have never been blocked onboard from upgrading just myself to premium (no upgrade interest from wifester).  With booking perk or pre-cruise upgrade its BOTH required.

If in Europe, apparently some other locales, be careful when upgrading onboard in certain jurisdictional waters for risk of VAT being charged.  GOOD LUCK