I don't know what to title this but hard lesson learned by 1st time cruiser

cynt

My coworker (CC) is a first time cruiser. Her family of 7 cruised on Valor last week. She called me when they returned to inform me her sister's daughter in law was denied boarding.

Background: CC attended one of those cruise seminars put on by a local TA. They booked the cruise thru the TA. It appears the TA was just a TA that booked cruises but not really a cruiser. They booked this July 2019 cruise in Dec 2018. On numerous occasions she asked me the same questions she asked the TA. The TA told her $65 a night for gratuities. I had to say no and walk her thru the website to show her how much gratuities actually cost. I received dozens and dozens of questions from her. Her TA was NOT a cruiser. One more time her TA was not a cruiser and was not knowledgeable about cruises.

Her and her sis (GG) had a little riff because CC told her you need a passport. GG went off and told CC no I don't. TA told me I needed identification and that's all. I clarified to CC a driver's license AND birth certificate was fine. I urged her after the water settled to contact her sister and tell her the adults on her party must have these 2 forms of documents to board the ship. She said she wasn't going to worry about it. GG acts like she knows everything. I said put your feelings aside and tell her. She told me again I'm not going to worry about it. 

Day of cruise, GGs family showed up at the port with only driver's license. The 2 kids had birth certificates. Since the husband was at home he emailed a scan copy of birth certificate for his wife and son. However the daughter n law did not know where her BC was located. She was denied boarding. She did not board the ship andbcruise.

The 1st day of the cruise had everyone feeling some kind of way. GG finally acknowledged she should have listened and now she's eating her words.

I just want to say As seasoned cruisers we must continue to educate 1st time cruisers. Unfortunately all TAs are not created equal and People do not read their cruise documents. 

I'm the cruiser in my family and in my office. My family knows I'm crazy and I do document checks months before we cruise. They're use to it😀. Now I'll be more vigilant with friends and coworkers.

I wanted to share this story to educate 1st timers and remind us that our cruise knowledge is valuable.

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

I wonder how GG feels about CCs vindictiveness .... wow ... family dynamics on top of the stress of packing and getting ready to go on a cruise vacation.  

Great story.  Great point of view.  Yes, we should really help those that are first timers and need honest, direct, concise info.  

CC (cruise critic) tends to like to argue with people tho.  LOL

• Like 2

Wow that's awful for the DIL to get denied boarding.  But in this day and age where all the information is at your finger tips, I don't know why one of them didn't bother to read Carnival's web site or any web site about what identification is needed for cruising.🤔

• Like 28

Cynt, you told CC what they needed, but she wouldn't pass it on. You did your part, there wasn't much more you could do. I get it...GG thought she knew better so CC said to heck with her. But after the DIL got denied, I'm sure CC felt like crap for not making sure everyone knew what documentation they needed. And if the rest of them ever find out that CC knew, but decided not to pass it on, things are going to get even uglier.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, cynt said:

My coworker (CC) is a first time cruiser. Her family of 7 cruised on Valor last week. She called me when they returned to inform me her sister's daughter in law was denied boarding.

Background: CC attended one of those cruise seminars put on by a local TA. They booked the cruise thru the TA. It appears the TA was just a TA that booked cruises but not really a cruiser. They booked this July 2019 cruise in Dec 2018. On numerous occasions she asked me the same questions she asked the TA. The TA told her $65 a night for gratuities. I had to say no and walk her thru the website to show her how much gratuities actually cost. I received dozens and dozens of questions from her. Her TA was NOT a cruiser. One more time her TA was not a cruiser and was not knowledgeable about cruises.

Her and her sis (GG) had a little riff because CC told her you need a passport. GG went off and told CC no I don't. TA told me I needed identification and that's all. I clarified to CC a driver's license AND birth certificate was fine. I urged her after the water settled to contact her sister and tell her the adults on her party must have these 2 forms of documents to board the ship. She said she wasn't going to worry about it. GG acts like she knows everything. I said put your feelings aside and tell her. She told me again I'm not going to worry about it. 

Day of cruise, GGs family showed up at the port with only driver's license. The 2 kids had birth certificates. Since the husband was at home he emailed a scan copy of birth certificate for his wife and son. However the daughter n law did not know where her BC was located. She was denied boarding. She did not board the ship andbcruise.

The 1st day of the cruise had everyone feeling some kind of way. GG finally acknowledged she should have listened and now she's eating her words.

I just want to say As seasoned cruisers we must continue to educate 1st time cruisers. Unfortunately all TAs are not created equal and People do not read their cruise documents. 

I'm the cruiser in my family and in my office. My family knows I'm crazy and I do document checks months before we cruise. They're use to it😀. Now I'll be more vigilant with friends and coworkers.

I wanted to share this story to educate 1st timers and remind us that our cruise knowledge is valuable.

Someone is denied boarding pretty much very cruise

• Like 3

This was my personal terror before our family cruise last month- that my daughter/son in law/grandson would show up at the port without their passports.

I gently told my daughter- GIVE ME YOUR PASSPORTS! I'll give them back to you at the port, but if I have them then I'll know that they will be there waiting for you... and that's exactly what happened.... problem solved for me, anyway!

• Like 6

This is 21st century anyone should be able to look-up the boarding requirements in five minutes regardless what a travel agent told them.  But some people you cannot help. 

Edited by Purvis1231
typo
  • Like 14

….I had a document scare the other night-I'm cruising in less than 3 weeks so I decided to check my documents again-I've been on 25+ cruises so I always leave my documentation in same carry-on packet in the top drawer of Nite stand. So when I checked Friday Nite Birth Certificate wasn't there. Wasted 3 hours of a Friday nite searching everywhere I could think. Finally found them-I had forgotten when my firm merged with another firm about 9 months ago I was asked for SS Card and Birth Certificate and had placed them in a group of documents that I had brought home from work when we changed office location.

But that is an important reminder when friends are going on the first cruise. I must have emphasized about 10 times when I hear friends are cruising for the first time-sometimes based on my recommendations.

My ex took my son on a cruise out of New Orleans awhile ago and forgotten his documentation. Another piece of advice-at least for Texans is that a new Birth Certificate for a person born in Texas can be ordered from any county in Texas in an emergency. So they had to drive back from New Orleans to the first Texas county on Interstate 10. 

Edited by Stallion
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stallion said:

Another thing I worry about is passengers should be warned that if they have outstanding arrest warrants they need to clear that up before leaving

Nah, you can clean that up after.  You can even get a free ride.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Cynt, you told CC what they needed, but she wouldn't pass it on. You did your part, there wasn't much more you could do. I get it...GG thought she knew better so CC said to heck with her. But after the DIL got denied, I'm sure CC felt like crap for not making sure everyone knew what documentation they needed. And if the rest of them ever find out that CC knew, but decided not to pass it on, things are going to get even uglier.

CC did tell GG she needed a passport according to the OP. May get ugly but GG would be at fault and not CC. No reason to feel like crap either if you have ever dealt with someone who is a know-it-all. You can only do so much to try to help some people.

I also would have been after that TA for accurate information or the option to notify the BBB, trip advisor, yelp, etc

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

And if the rest of them ever find out that CC knew, but decided not to pass it on, things are going to get even uglier.

CC tried to tell GG once, and GG wouldn't listen. Sounds like GG is a real piece of work and CC got sick of their crap.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

As an 'ol married lady of 32 years. My B.C. also  doesn't  have my maiden name on it.

So, to play this out .... technically would I need my Marriage Certificate? IF it's just a question of different last names. 

What if I just got married recently ..... first time... just saying.   IDK,  Elaine, just made me question the Policy ....

🌻🌻

Bobbi

Edited by Markmom18

1 hour ago, Stallion said:

Another thing I worry about is passengers should be warned that if they have outstanding arrest warrants they need to clear that up before leaving

HA....I wouldn't even worry about that....heck, I hope I don't know anyone with an arrest warrant  LOL

6 hours ago, ksflann said:

So silly question do you need to bring marriage license because my birth certificate has my maiden name. 

6 hours ago, pianoplayerla said:

Yes. Better safe, than sorry. 

5 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

This is correct

From what I've read on here, the women that take them have never been asked for them.  When you got married, you had to show your marriage license to get your name changed on your driver's license.  Now the state is saying that is your legal name.  If you have a passport, that is saying that is your legal name.  

What has been recommended on here is that if you are getting married and plan on a honeymoon cruise, book the cruise in your maiden name.  That way, all of the names still match.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

This is 21st century anyone should be able to look-up the boarding requirements in five minutes regardless what a travel agent told them.  But some people you cannot help. 

I won’t come down too hard on people who don’t look up Carnival’s policies on their website because A LOT of people don’t even know that they’re there. That’s why so many people start searching for info. here instead of there. 

Carnival contains everything in their FAQ’s, but FAQ’s aren’t typically a place on websites you go to find all of a company’s policies. Usually it’s just what it stands for, a list of questions (oftentimes a fairly short one) that are most frequently asked. But Carnival goes the extra mile by putting everything you need to know in theirs. And since their FAQ’s were revamped not long ago, that FAQ homepage is just a list of several drop-down menu style Q&A. It’s kind of hard to tell that there’s actually a lot more info. than what shows there. So for those who don’t start there or don’t know the source is there, I don’t think it’s always because of laziness.

In regards to TA’s, yeah the OP’s friend got one that was practically worthless, but overall, they’re supposed to be a trusted liaison between the vacationer and the vacation destination. People who use them have a reasonable expectation that they know what they’re talking about. People don’t expect to have to verify everything they say. It’s just good that the OP’s friend did.