I don't know what to title this but hard lesson learned by 1st time cruiser

cynt

As far as I'm concerned, CC is blameless. She tried. Now GG? If I was her daughter-in-law and I found out that CC tried to tell her this and she couldn't be bothered passing this info on to me? Let's just say Mothers Day would be a whole lot more uncomfortable in THAT house!

I know a lot about cruising. But I'm never enough of an expert not to at least listen to other people, and if I think the info is wrong, I won't just disregard it- I'll make sure I find out the correct answer! And I'll even share it with others... if those people choose not to heed my comments, then it's on them.

4 hours ago, xitappers2bx said:

I do think this is a great example as to why having a passport for traveling is a great idea, yes they are expensive, but it's much more expensive to miss out on an otherwise great vacation. 

Our passports have been worth the expense just for peace of mind.  Plus, we were able to take advantage of a real bargain for a Mediterranean cruise last May.  Not sure I would have booked without knowing we had passports in hand.  I would've been nervous that processing would be delayed and we would lose our cruise fares.  

• Like 1

When you complete online check in so that you can print the boarding  pass it asks if you will be using a Passport (and says it is recommended) or a BC/DL.  How did she check in and manage to miss that part?

I think the TA should have told her what documentation is required, and perhaps she misunderstood the discussion about the passport as being required, vs highly recommended, but it is ultimately up to the passenger to obtain the correct documents.  Our TA always reminds us to check our passports to see if they have 6 months of validity from our return date, and if a Visa is required discusses the various ways we can obtain one, either online or using the Visa service recommended by the cruise line or tour operator.

My TA makes anyone not traveling on a passport  sign a waiver that they understand that if they miss the ship they will have to obtain a passport and pay the expenses out of pocket during the time it takes to get one issued before they can fly home. And, it also states that they are responsible for having the correct documentation (which is spelled out for that particular trip) and can be denied boarding with no refund for failure to present it at check in.

She had a cruiser miss the ship in Cozumel in the past who tried to sue her.  Thankfully, she had the signed waiver and acknowledgement that it was the passenger's responsibility, but she still had to pay legal fees to get her attorney to write a letter disputing the claim, along with a copy of the waiver he signed.  She also makes anyone traveling without travel insurance sign a waiver.  Such a shame she has to play CYA,

Edited by DebJ14

6 hours ago, nofocruiser said:

Seriously, these were adults, they should be responsible for their own actions (or inaction in this case) at this point.  It sounds like there were people who couldn't be bothered to look for the information needed and relied on others.  Just lazy and irresponsible.

In the sister's defense, she was going off of the information their TA gave them. As I mentioned in another post, people have a reasonable expectation that a TA knows what they're talking about. If I hire an accountant who does taxes, I expect them to know the tax code. I wouldn't then go research the tax code myself because that's what I hired the accountant for. Same goes for people who book vacations through a TA, especially for a vacation they've never taken before. The TA's are supposed to be the knowledgeable ones. Not everyone researches as much as many of us like to do, so they rely on "experts" to guide them. I don't believe those types of people are lazy or irresponsible. The fact that someone hires who they think is an expert to help them through an unfamiliar process is a responsible thing to do. Unfortunately, they got a lemon of a TA, then the sister wouldn't listen when presented with information that came (indirectly) from an experienced cruiser. She trusted the TA a little too much at that point.

Now, that doesn't excuse the sister's attitude towards the OP's coworker, but that's beside the point.

5 hours ago, nofocruiser said:

Thanks!  It annoys me when people try to blame their problems on others.

Who's blaming their problems on others in the OP's story? The OP said that GG acknowledged she should've listened to CC. Sounds like she's blaming herself.

Edited by Organized Chaos

6 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

Ours are in the back pack.  That said when we get in the car, I say passport check, we stop for gas I say passport check before we leave the gas station.   We check into the hotel for the night I say passport check.  Before we leave the room the next morning I say passport check.   Get on the shuttle you got it passport check.   Get off the shuttle one more passport check.  Hubby used to get annoyed but now there are times he will request a passport check before I can say it.  Over kill? Maybe but we've never been without the right documentation 

Is that your way of saying you have him trained well? LOL 😉😜

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Bookworm1985 said:

My mother-in-law misplaced her passport before her last cruise. She had her birth certificate, but for those asking, she WAS asked twice for her marriage certificate as well (I was there so not second hand info...the security guard before the scanners asked for it, then again at the check in desk) It is always better to bring it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

On a family reunion Carnival cruise  both of my sisters in law  used their birth certificates and  driver's licenses.  I booked the cruise for the group and my TA advised that they needed a bridge document to explain why the last name on the birth certificate was not the same as on the license.  They both brought their marriage licenses.  They were not asked for the documents at check in and told me how stupid  the TA and I were for telling them to bring the marriage licenses.  However, the CBP officer wanted to see them in the terminal after the cruise.  We had been to Belize and Roatan so they were doing a full inspection.  This was at the Port of Miami.  So definitely bring a bridge document.  Better safe than sorry!  And, now they listen to me  more!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

In the sister's defense, she was going off of the information their TA gave them. As I mentioned in another post, people have a reasonable expectation that a TA knows what they're talking about. If I hire an accountant who does taxes, I expect them to know the tax code. I wouldn't then go research the tax code myself because that's what I hired the accountant for. Same goes for people who book vacations through a TA, especially for a vacation they've never taken before. The TA's are supposed to be the knowledgeable ones. Not everyone researches as much as many of us like to do, so they rely on "experts" to guide them. I don't believe those types of people are lazy or irresponsible. The fact that someone hires who they think is an expert to help them through an unfamiliar process is a responsible thing to do. Unfortunately, they got a lemon of a TA, then the sister wouldn't listen when presented with information that came (indirectly) from an experienced cruiser. She trusted the TA a little too much at that point.

Now, that doesn't excuse the sister's attitude towards the OP's coworker, but that's beside the point.

I understand that, but as someone posted, if you are leaving the country you should know that you will need identification.  But I'm a belt and suspenders type of person.  You can never be too sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robc1972 said:

Dont get it.

People will spend about a thousand dollars on a cruise, but wont spend a hundred to get a passport o make international travel so much easier.

Right, a passport is $145.00. The law allows people to sail with a birth certificate. This cost even less only about $20.00. If I were cruising without a passport I would buy a new one. Also, many years ago I book my cruises with a local travel agent. He made sure we knew the requirements. We brought our passports to him and he completed the online check-in for us. I am sure the travel agent in this case did this. It appears this travel agent was neglectful in his/her duties.  

On our first cruise (10,000 years ago) I made the mistake of packing our passports in our luggage. They did let us on and we had to show the passports later, but that was pre 9/11 and that probably wouldn't fly today. So don't make that mistake either! 😅

11 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

From what I've read on here, the women that take them have never been asked for them.  When you got married, you had to show your marriage license to get your name changed on your driver's license.  Now the state is saying that is your legal name.  If you have a passport, that is saying that is your legal name.  

What has been recommended on here is that if you are getting married and plan on a honeymoon cruise, book the cruise in your maiden name.  That way, all of the names still match.

People have been asked for them though and why take a chance?

1 hour ago, shark&minnow said:

On our first cruise (10,000 years ago) I made the mistake of packing our passports in our luggage. They did let us on and we had to show the passports later, but that was pre 9/11 and that probably wouldn't fly today. So don't make that mistake either! 😅

I am so paranoid I will do this!

3 hours ago, robc1972 said:

Dont get it.

People will spend about a thousand dollars on a cruise, but wont spend a hundred to get a passport o make international travel so much easier.

Right? When spending $3k (lowside I know but just giving  a number) another $200 is like spending  $20 more dollars.   Makes no sense why you wouldn't spend it.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, CruiseGal999 said:

I wonder how GG feels about CCs vindictiveness .... wow ... family dynamics on top of the stress of packing and getting ready to go on a cruise vacation.  

Great story.  Great point of view.  Yes, we should really help those that are first timers and need honest, direct, concise info.  

CC (cruise critic) tends to like to argue with people tho.  LOL

I’m sorry, but I disagree concerning educating these first time cruisers what documentation is needed. It plainly states right in your account online and in your contract documentation what is needed. The problem here is two fold. One: a crappy TA. Two: crappy family dynamics that prevented the knowledgeable relative from notifying the rest of the party. This is not the obligation of Carnival to give people a check list. We all need to take responsibility. I have advised new cruisers on here numerous times, the importance of cruising with a passport over just a license and BC, but I get flamed for it, so why bother trying to help if they don’t want help. You cannot fly home (in case of an emergency) with just a license and BC. Yes, you can cruise a closed loop cruise with just them, but not wise. But to the problem this family experienced was due to the two reasons I stated. Not the cruise line. Personally, I book my own cruises and would never rely on a TA, but if you are so unsure of what to do, find one that specializes in cruises, or your just asking for trouble.

• Like 4

When I booked our last cruise in 2017, after almost 20 years since I had last cruised, I was very surprised to learn you could still cruise without a passport.  I had assumed that had all changed during the time (2009?)  when passports became required for Mexico and Canada.

• Like 2

Just now, HerbertandB said:

When I booked our last cruise in 2017, after almost 20 years since I had last cruised, I was very surprised to learn you could still cruise without a passport.  I had assumed that had all changed during the time (2009?)  when passports became required for Mexico and Canada.

I advise cruisers all the time to use a passport. If they need to fly home (in case of an emergency) they need a passport to do so. That always gets the masses riled up, stating you don’t need a passport, only a license and BC. Yes, that is all you need for a closed loop cruise, but why would anyone chance it? People are in denial if they think it can’t happen to them. It happened to me. Thank goodness I had a passport. 

• Like 1

Just now, grandmarnnurse said:

I advise cruisers all the time to use a passport. If they need to fly home (in case of an emergency) they need a passport to do so. That always gets the masses riled up, stating you don’t need a passport, only a license and BC. Yes, that is all you need for a closed loop cruise, but why would anyone chance it? People are in denial if they think it can’t happen to them. It happened to me. Thank goodness I had a passport. 

I completely agree. Also, what would happen if heaven forbid the ship has an issue and Carnival (or whatever cruise line) needs to make arrangements to get people home or something. You never know, several different things could happen.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I know.  I've had a passport since my second cruise in 1997.  Even if I haven't used it much, it's nice to have.  Some day I might win the lottery and want to whisk off to Paris for a croissant or Italy for pizza, can't do that if I don't have passport. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I’m sorry, but I disagree concerning educating these first time cruisers what documentation is needed. It plainly states right in your account online and in your contract documentation what is needed. The problem here is two fold. One: a crappy TA. Two: crappy family dynamics that prevented the knowledgeable relative from notifying the rest of the party. This is not the obligation of Carnival to give people a check list. We all need to take responsibility. I have advised new cruisers on here numerous times, the importance of cruising with a passport over just a license and BC, but I get flamed for it, so why bother trying to help if they don’t want help. You cannot fly home (in case of an emergency) with just a license and BC. Yes, you can cruise a closed loop cruise with just them, but not wise. But to the problem this family experienced was due to the two reasons I stated. Not the cruise line. Personally, I book my own cruises and would never rely on a TA, but if you are so unsure of what to do, find one that specializes in cruises, or your just asking for trouble.

I am with you on the passports ... I also wholeheartedly encourage people to get & travel with passports.  I also get flamed for it.  Everyone brings up THE MONEY  THE MONEY  THE MONEY ... well ... compare it to the money of trying to get home in an emergency without passports.  

I have my 1st cruise coming up in May 2020. I wasn't sure what was needed to cruise so I read everything on Carnivals site (about everything not just travel docs), I talked to my PVP to make sure I understood everything correctly, I researched with Google as well as read different posts on fb and cc. Why take chances with someone possible giving you wrong information, always check more than once and with more than one source. 

Even though I can take my trip with my DL and BC I will be getting a passport, mostly bc if something happens while on the cruise and also why do I want to carry 2 documents, 1 being just a piece of paper easily lost or destroyed when I get just take 1 thing, a passport. (I won't be driving). Plus a passport is good if you decide you want to go to Mexico or Canada, especially since I live in a border state.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, HillBilly Bob said:

Moral of the story .....not ALL family members and work associates should vacation together.  

You got that right.we booked a Cuba trip on paradise for December coming up.it got cancelled so wife and I decided we can just wait for the 7 day we have booked for next summer (non carnival).when grandkids found out they wanted to go with us.so I booked them a cabin and put down a sizable deposit but they had to pay the rest.well they ignored me when I told them I wanted to see a payment.so when the opportunity to cancel the Cuba cruise arose I cancelled that trip and put my money on another.from now on I just worry about the wife and I.grown people need to take care of their own business.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grandmarnnurse said:

Really good post.  Personally I would never leave the USA without a passport for many reasons including ones you mentioned.