Embarrassed as all get-out to ask, but . . .

With all the cruises under my belt, it's embarrassing to admit that, when I get out of an elevator on a ship, I sometimes can't tell if forward is to my right or left. I know the weekdays are indicated on the floors, but is there some secret arrow that points forward? Many's the time I've walked a good distance in the wrong direction & had to backtrack.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, permanentlyengaged said:

With all the cruises under my belt, it's embarrassing to admit that, when I get out of an elevator on a ship, I sometimes can't tell if forward is to my right or left. I know the weekdays are indicated on the floors, but is there some secret arrow that points forward? Many's the time I've walked a good distance in the wrong direction & had to backtrack.

Norwegian has fishies that swim forward, but in pertinence to Carnival, as Coevan said, there are ship maps at every elevators. 

I'm no newby either but the first couple days we usually make a wrong turn somewhere.i booked lido deck for this last upcoming carnival cruise so at least the cabin should be easy to find.cant go but one way.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I love the idea of the forward facing fish on the carpet.   I wish Carnival would do something like that. 

They could do something like their funnels on the carpet. The left whale fin depicts port side, the right whale fin depicts starboard side. And then the direction in which the two fins face is forward.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, coevan said:

We always have trouble going back to the cabin after a night of partying. We have to look left and right to finds the even numbers. 😄

I have totally ended up way lost before, but always meet the best people when I’m lost! 🤪😂

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, scpirate said:

I'm no newby either but the first couple days we usually make a wrong turn somewhere.i booked lido deck for this last upcoming carnival cruise so at least the cabin should be easy to find.cant go but one way.

That's only if you're entering from the outside. If you're taking an elevator to lido, you can still go either way. 

18 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

They could do something like their funnels on the carpet. The left whale fin depicts port side, the right whale fin depicts starboard side. And then the direction in which the two fins face is forward.

You should definitely make that suggestion.  😀

1 hour ago, jbethel11 said:

Norwegian has fishies that swim forward, but in pertinence to Carnival, as Coevan said, there are ship maps at every elevators. 

Yep, always wondered why other cruise lines don't do something like that too

On Vista, at least, there are these handy-dandy signs on every floor when you come off the forward and aft elevators. Not sure about mid-ship elevators.

And I know I've seen signs with 'Even numbered cabins' and 'Odd numbered cabins' to help with port and starboard but can't find any photos.

(And for anyone wondering why we took our photo with these, it was for a camp scavenger hunt)

2-DSCN4744.JPG

1-DSCN4734.JPG

Edited by cyntil8ing

13 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

Days of the week carpets are in HAL elevators.  I used to take a picture of one first thing in the morning so I would know all pictures following were taken that day.  EM

As well as RCI's elevators.

• Like 1

It always takes me a moment to get my bearings every time I step out of a cruise ship elevator, so I agree that little touches like fish on the carpet is good thinking on the cruiseline’s part.

Disney have stars and compasses in their carpet which navigate North, and there are hooks on the doors with Starfish (or I think Seahorses on some ships) on the Starboard side and fish on the port side. It all made it very quick and easy to navigate to the correct side of the ship. 

Edited by oskarNZ

9 hours ago, cyntil8ing said:

On Vista, at least, there are these handy-dandy signs on every floor when you come off the forward and aft elevators. Not sure about mid-ship elevators.

And I know I've seen signs with 'Even numbered cabins' and 'Odd numbered cabins' to help with port and starboard but can't find any photos.

(And for anyone wondering why we took our photo with these, it was for a camp scavenger hunt)

2-DSCN4744.JPG

1-DSCN4734.JPG

The you are here signs always makes me laugh. There was a Drabble cartoon once where he is looking at a you are here sign and says, "how do they know that?".

Don't be embarrassed. We almost always have cabins on the starboard side and go right for forward and left for aft. On the very occasional times we have port side cabins, I sometimes get confused and have wasted time going the wrong way until the light bulb goes off in my head 🙂 

• Like 1