Flying on EMBARKATION Day

Giorgi-one

18 hours ago, LoriPhil said:

That and leg room, bathroom access and being first off the plane.  😁

I do it just to look smug as all the economy passengers board and look envious. 😄

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

Hmm, all the airlines I fly, booze and food are complimentary in First.

Of course you are right on here.  I may have misunderstood, but what I read was that they were given bottles, not just drinks.  Maybe they were talking about the small airline bottles after all.    I once received some very nice unopened bottles of wine for assisting during an incident.  

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Of course you are right on here.  I may have misunderstood, but what I read was that they were given bottles, not just drinks.  Maybe they were talking about the small airline bottles after all.    I once received some very nice unopened bottles of wine for assisting during an incident.  

The drinks on planes always come in bottles - those little ones, with just enough for one drink per.  I doubt you are going to see flight attendants handing out fifths of bourbon.

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Hmm, all the airlines I fly, booze and food are complimentary in First.

And almost every drink I have been served has been a double to start.

It was my first time ever in 1st, so I wouldn't know. We were just surprised because they'd told us before boarding that there were no 1st class seats left, yet when we got on the plane, they'd found some. And yes, they were the little bottles, not fifths! 🤣

The flight attendant had been made aware of our predicament earlier in the day, she was great and we said so later when we contacted the airline.

37 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

The drinks on planes always come in bottles - those little ones, with just enough for one drink per.  I doubt you are going to see flight attendants handing out fifths of bourbon.

Handing out, no, but I have seen them wheel a cart and pour from large bottles of liquor. I can't remember which airline, but believe it was a domestic Chinese flight around 10 years ago where I ordered a gin and tonic and they had cans of tonic and a large bottle of gin that they poured from.

Edited by Zach1213

54 minutes ago, Zach1213 said:

Handing out, no, but I have seen them wheel a cart and pour from large bottles of liquor. I can't remember which airline, but believe it was a domestic Chinese flight around 10 years ago where I ordered a gin and tonic and they had cans of tonic and a large bottle of gin that they poured from.

Emirates, Virgin Australia, Virgin Atlantic and AirFrance all have fifths in their business class bar/lounge area.  Probably others that I can't remember.

17 hours ago, SRF said:

I do it just to look smug as all the economy passengers board and look envious. 😄

Of course, those economy passengers might also be thinking; "Look at that rube, he paid an extra $2 or $3 grand to get a few 'free'  drinks and some leg room."😁

18 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Thanks NBT.   They also carry full sized bottles of alcoholic beverages, wine at least.   Have had wine poured from them on more than one occasion.  The ones I was given were not the miniatures.  

To bring this back to on topic, I might add having several of those miniatures eliminates all worry of flying in on embark day.  😀😀😀

Edited by ldubs

On 8/7/2019 at 1:12 PM, ldubs said:

I cannot say that I ever got unopened bottles.  Not that I haven't, just that I can't say. 🙂

Poster did not say if they were opened or not.  And some airlines just hand you the bottles.  Typically not in first/business, but in international economy.

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks NBT.   They also carry full sized bottles of alcoholic beverages, wine at least.   Have had wine poured from them on more than one occasion.  The ones I was given were not the miniatures.  

To bring this back to on topic, I might add having several of those miniatures eliminates all worry of flying in on embark day.  😀😀😀

I have been given full size bottles of wine at times.  Just because I am such a sweet person. 🙂

KLM has full sized bottles of spirits.  They pour into a glass to serve.  And they pour VERY stout drinks.

1 minute ago, SRF said:

I cannot say that I ever got unopened bottles.  Not that I haven't, just that I can't say. 🙂

Poster did not say if they were opened or not.  And some airlines just hand you the bottles.  Typically not in first/business, but in international economy.

Ones I received were thank you gifts for assisting the flight attendants.   Not routine.  I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.  

Never saw full size bottles on major airlines, have seen them on charters. Love getting my Bloody Mary in first before plane takes off. As for gifts a long time ago I was flying to buffalo to get married and was trying to talk flight attendant into first class , was unsuccessful, but before we landed she gave me a large paper bag that had 4 full size bottles of wine.

Just now, George C said:

Never saw full size bottles on major airlines, have seen them on charters. Love getting my Bloody Mary in first before plane takes off. As for gifts a long time ago I was flying to buffalo to get married and was trying to talk flight attendant into first class , was unsuccessful, but before we landed she gave me a large paper bag that had 4 full size bottles of wine.

Haha,  Nice surprise for sure.   

1 hour ago, SRF said:

I have been given full size bottles of wine at times.  Just because I am such a sweet person. 🙂

KLM has full sized bottles of spirits.  They pour into a glass to serve.  And they pour VERY stout drinks.

A few years back I flew HKG-ORD and I was the only passenger in First Class (had been upgraded from paid Business). The flight attendants took such good care of me and saw I was enjoying the wine after a really, really rough week of work so they basically just left it at my seat. They regularly came by to make sure I didn't have to pour it myself (because I'm a gentleman of class), but the bottle never did leave my side.

I...I did drink it all. Took about two hours, and with a full meal.

We had a generous attendant years back while flying coach from London to Chicago.  We were two gals returning from vacation, way over-served champagne, boisterous, enthusiastically making plans for future adventures.  Attendant plopped a full (unopened) champagne in my lap before we landed.  I still cringe thinking about how annoying we must have been to the nearby passengers on that long flight.  🙀

Ten years ago I was flying alone from Prague to Washington, DC in business class after spending a long weekend visiting my DH who was working in the Czech Republic and Hungary for a few weeks.  The flight attendant asked which wine I wanted with lunch.  Having never had Malbec before I asked his opinion.  I think he was tickled that I valued his recommendation.  When lunch was over and after I had consumed a couple of glasses of Malbec, he walked down the aisle carrying an un-open bottle wrapped in a cloth napkin and said "happy birthday!"  I was confused and said it wasn't my birthday and he just smiled and said, "enjoy your present!" 

In the 10 years leading up to his retirement, my DH had global services status on United.  He would come home from trips and say that that the flight attendants would ask if he wanted the entire bottle of champagne.  He never took them up on it since he usually fell asleep before the plane even took off!

Edited by capriccio

On 8/8/2019 at 1:37 PM, ldubs said:

Ones I received were thank you gifts for assisting the flight attendants.   Not routine.  I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it.  

I have received wine that way.   And occasionally miniatures.

I was on a flight this spring (foreign carrier).  And as I was waiting for a rest room, they were putting away a tray of brandy bottles.  I commented that I could use a few.  And they held out the tray and said to take some.  So I did. 😄

• Like 1