Deployment 2021-22 booking season begins

Citing urgent guidelines from the Chinese goverment to combat the spread of the coronavirus, Costa Crociere, Royal Caribbean and Genting Cruise Lines have immediately suspended cruise operations in mainland China.

Costa has cancelled sailings on the Serena for Jan. 25 and 31; the Atlantica on Jan. 27 and 31; the Venezia on Jan 26. and Feb. 2 and the neoRomantica on Jan. 25, 30 and Feb. 2.

Costa, in a prepared statement, said guests are eligible for a full refund; or can choose an alternative sailing date before the end of the year along with a $50 onboard credit. 

Travel agencies have been instructed to stop group tours, which make up most of the Chinese cruise industry, according to local reports. 

Genting's Dream Cruises brand has cancelled a turnaround call in Guangzhou for the World Dream, but will continue to operate from Hong Kong, according to a statement as the 2017-built ship interports between both homeports.

Other operators with a presence in China during the winter include Astro Ocean and MSC, which have yet to issue any statements, but could follow suit during the high-yielding weeks of Chinese New Year.

Cruise Industry News

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Citing urgent guidelines from the Chinese goverment to combat the spread of the coronavirus, Costa Crociere, Royal Caribbean and Genting Cruise Lines have immediately suspended cruise operations in mainland China.

Big news.  I'm heading to Australia next week.  Where will they put those ships?  Hmmm.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

I vote for Sydney.  I'll extend my stay 🙂 

I just got off of her on the 9th after b3b.  I really think the ship culture would clash here in oz.  They are very Chinese.  Even in the silver lounge, staff would just stand around. Not proactive at all. Not serving drinks. Not serving drinks at the table. It was just not in their thought process.   There were some real standouts amoung the staff, as always, but there was a whole lot of average going on as well.   

6 hours ago, springaussie said:

Costa has cancelled sailings on the Serena for Jan. 25 and 31; the Atlantica on Jan. 27 and 31; the Venezia on Jan 26. and Feb. 2 and the neoRomantica on Jan. 25, 30 and Feb. 2.

Costa, in a prepared statement, said guests are eligible for a full refund; or can choose an alternative sailing date before the end of the year along with a $50 onboard credit. 

Travel agencies have been instructed to stop group tours, which make up most of the Chinese cruise industry, according to local reports. 

Genting's Dream Cruises brand has cancelled a turnaround call in Guangzhou for the World Dream, but will continue to operate from Hong Kong, according to a statement as the 2017-built ship interports between both homeports.

Other operators with a presence in China during the winter include Astro Ocean and MSC, which have yet to issue any statements, but could follow suit during the high-yielding weeks of Chinese New Year.

Cruise Industry News

No mention of specific cruises changed or suspended by Royal.  Any more info available?

19 minutes ago, mugtech said:

No mention of specific cruises changed or suspended by Royal.  Any more info available?

There will be a quick response. Coronavirus is affecting the travel stocks on the market. RCL is expected to have a quarterly earnings call on the 29th of January and they will really want to be prepared for how they are handling this and how it will affect future earnings. 

Big headaches for Royal's management and I think they will get out of China quickly.   

In addition to likely re-deployment of Spectrum, it is hard to imagine Quantum going to Beijing this year.  Voyager might have to be re-re-deployed away from Shanghai.  

This could well be the moment that Royal decide to home port a ship in Australia year round.  

Cheap cruises are coming no matter how they deal with it.   

14 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

Sydney should again host 3 ships over the 2021/22 season.  

Assuming Voyager cruises from LA through to Dec 2021 (as per the port bookings), it would seem likely that Ovation, Quantum (or Spectrum) and one other ship (Serenade?) will home port in Sydney.  

Caveat: Escalation of Coronavirus in China likely to result in re-deployments to Australia, Japan and/or elsewhere. 

Geoff, do you think that RCCL will reduce Sydney  by 1 ship (Voyager) and just have the 2 Quantum class ships based in Sydney. We know that Radiance will be in Brisbane, however Melbourne is shill showing the Celebrity Eclipse been listed as a turnaround. Serenade as far as I know is not listed elsewhere, could it be going to Singapore for a dry dock then come from Singapore and use the  Celebrity Eclipse bookings in Melbourne. Statically this will lead to an increase overall for Australia, however a decrease in passenger numbers for Sydney.

Your thoughts.

46 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Geoff, do you think that RCCL will reduce Sydney  by 1 ship (Voyager) and just have the 2 Quantum class ships based in Sydney. We know that Radiance will be in Brisbane, however Melbourne is shill showing the Celebrity Eclipse been listed as a turnaround. Serenade as far as I know is not listed elsewhere, could it be going to Singapore for a dry dock then come from Singapore and use the  Celebrity Eclipse bookings in Melbourne. Statically this will lead to an increase overall for Australia, however a decrease in passenger numbers for Sydney.

Your thoughts.

Didn’t I hear serenade is going back to the US east, Port Everglades someone said?

5 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Didn’t I hear serenade is going back to the US east, Port Everglades someone said?

Nothing confirmed on that.  Serenade is not showing booked at any ports yet. Hawaii only reports 18 months out. It seems they are going to have a new Alaska and Trans-Pacific release coming with Quantum and Voyager and that Serenade would either be included with that release or confirmed to be heading elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, woodscruise said:

Your thoughts.

I really can't see Royal reducing capacity to 2 ships in Sydney, even if they are both Q class.  The have secured bookings for 3 ships and I believe they will retain them. 

I agree that the Celebrity Eclipse bookings in Melbourne were put there as placeholders for Serenade. The apparent decision to deploy Voyager to LA may result in this being cancelled, and Serenade remaining in Sydney.  

However, if Serenade does home port in Melbourne , I still think a third ship will be deployed to Sydney.  Not many ships to choose from unless an announced deployment is changed.  I'd have thought 3 Q class would be overkill and not everyone loves the class.  

14 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

I really can't see Royal reducing capacity to 2 ships in Sydney, even if they are both Q class.  The have secured bookings for 3 ships and I believe they will retain them. 

I agree that the Celebrity Eclipse bookings in Melbourne were put there as placeholders for Serenade. The apparent decision to deploy Voyager to LA may result in this being cancelled, and Serenade remaining in Sydney.  

However, if Serenade does home port in Melbourne , I still think a third ship will be deployed to Sydney.  Not many ships to choose from unless an announced deployment is changed.  I'd have thought 3 Q class would be overkill and not everyone loves the class.  

Sydney has a congestion problem ,has for years. Also New Zealand is getting the same problem.

The quick fix would be larger ships and less of them.

Radiance will be in Brisbane,there’s the 3rd ship.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

Sydney has a congestion problem ,has for years. Also New Zealand is getting the same problem.

The quick fix would be larger ships and less of them.

Radiance will be in Brisbane,there’s the 3rd ship.

Sydney certainly does have a congestion problem, thus the bigger ships replacing smaller ones.  

However, I don't think Royal will be satisfied with 3 ships for the whole Australia - NZ market.   When Lelepa opens (slated for 2022) they will want a ship to call there on most days (across their stable of brands).  That is the year following the deployment at hand of course.  

Edited by geoff2802

11 minutes ago, geoff2802 said:

Sydney certainly does have a congestion problem, thus the bigger ships replacing smaller ones.  

However, I don't think Royal will be satisfied with 3 ships for the whole Australia - NZ market.   When Lelepa opens (slated for 2022) they will want a ship to call there on most days (across their stable of brands).  That is the year following the deployment at hand of course.  

Melbourne is just about to take over Sydney in population,maybe a ship there.

We should find out in March.

13 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Melbourne is just about to take over Sydney in population,maybe a ship there.

We should find out in March.

I'd dearly love it if this were true. I have to fly in from the west.  I'd prefer to fly into Sydney due to transport options. Melbourne second because its an amazing place to visit (thank you, Jeff kennett😍), adelaide, Darwin or hobart next as they are also great.  Brisbane is my least favorite city. Sadly that will inevitably be where we may get our second home port due to that private island they are building.  I'll still go there as my cruising is based mainly around my ability to get away, but, well, it is a downside. 

4 hours ago, geoff2802 said:

Big headaches for Royal's management and I think they will get out of China quickly.   

In addition to likely re-deployment of Spectrum, it is hard to imagine Quantum going to Beijing this year.  Voyager might have to be re-re-deployed away from Shanghai.  

This could well be the moment that Royal decide to home port a ship in Australia year round.  

Cheap cruises are coming no matter how they deal with it.   

Do you know if the Chinese Crew on Spectrum requires visa for Oz? 

But no one knows how this will all turn out.

I can't see 3 ships in China for the Northern Summer 2020.

Surely one will end up in Australia. 

Another could go somewhere in Europe. 

28 minutes ago, MichellePerth said:

I'd dearly love it if this were true. I have to fly in from the west.  I'd prefer to fly into Sydney due to transport options. Melbourne second because its an amazing place to visit (thank you, Jeff kennett😍), adelaide, Darwin or hobart next as they are also great.  Brisbane is my least favorite city. Sadly that will inevitably be where we may get our second home port due to that private island they are building.  I'll still go there as my cruising is based mainly around my ability to get away, but, well, it is a downside. 

I agree about Brisbane,we were there 4 weeks ago on voyager and as a port  it’s go all the charm of a fatal car smash .

36 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Do you know if the Chinese Crew on Spectrum requires visa for Oz? 

But no one knows how this will all turn out.

Another could go somewhere in Europe. 

I don't know about visas for crew, but I imagine the cruise line would arrange any necessary visas.  As you would have seen, there are plenty of Chinese nationals crewing on the ships in Aus waters.  Expect any ship to be met with biohazard checks on arrival into Darwin. 

56 minutes ago, springaussie said:

Surely they will keep Voyager here in Australia, especially since she is here already.

(And this could be a test case to see how a ship year round go)

Edited by woodscruise
delete quote

8 minutes ago, woodscruise said:

Surely they will keep Voyager here in Australia, especially since she is here already.

(And this could be a test case to see how a ship year round go)

Pretty sure they are sending voyager to Singapore for a proper refurb before sending her off to north America.