Lobster dinners?

Vineyard View

1 hour ago, Vineyard View said:

I cannot locate this - when are the lobster dinners typically?  First sea day? Thank you - getting ready to reserve!

I don’t remember which night it was but definitely not the first. Check the MDR menu which is posted daily around lunchtime. And yes, a whole delicious lobster - I had two.

• Like 1

I know!  My husband loved it. I was trying to figure out specialty dining reservations because they would need to be changed if I guessed wrong. Plus I wasn’t sure if Viking still does this. I also cannot remember if they do this twice on 15 day cruises - towards the beginning as well as the end. 

Cvgrammy, I wonder if you may have been in a specialty restaurant at the time, of if there are itineraries where this does not occur. 

I am impressed - eating two of them Squawkman!  The lobster took up the entire plate! 

Edited by Vineyard View

19 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

I cannot locate this - when are the lobster dinners typically?  First sea day? Thank you - getting ready to reserve!

Ship and kitchen run on separate calendars so there is no way of pinning a particular menu item to a particular day of the cruise.

Thanks everyone. I guess we will just find out when we are on board. I thought for sure at one time there was anticipated timing of this on the first sea day or first day after sailing, but it sounds as if that is not the case. 

7 minutes ago, cvgrammy said:

but who's counting!

Right! That is why I have two countdown clocks in my sig and 6 or more on my desktop. I love countdowns. Wonder if it has anything to do with being raised in the Space Race days and watching all of these things live on TV in our classrooms?

• Like 1

On 7/31/2019 at 1:23 PM, TayanaLorna said:

I don't like lobster (yes i am strange) and we did not have it on our cruise.  Had lobster thermidor.  Friend got it.  Said they could have put some lobster in the thermidor.  

You are not strange.  Wife and I also are not great fans of lobster (I'm sure there are others as well 🙂  )

However, on the 3 cruises we've been on so far, there never was a lobster meal - but we did have a number of other specialty meals.  I spoke with the restaurant manager and he said they try different things on different ships, always looking at something new.  We did, for example, have a "live" grilled swordfish meal (along with other choices) out by the pool deck on our last cruise.  Now that was quite special!!

Well, we will just find out when we are on board. Certainly not a deal breaker for either of us, just a nice bonus if it happens. Thank you all for your input and experiences. My take away is that lobster is not a guarantee and is a treat if it occurs. 

• Like 1

You don’t have to wait to check the menu everyday.  All of the menus for all the restaurants will be available on the Viking Voyager app when you board.  I will say though if you’re on a longer cruise it’s wise to check a few days ahead of when you expect lobster to be sure it hasn’t changed.  We had to rearrange chef’s table reservations at the last minute when this occurred on our spring TA.  Otherwise my DMIL wouldn’t have gotten her lobster and I would have been in BIG trouble. But as you can see, I’m still on her good list! 

09165685-D566-4E72-88D4-9D3FC298D5DB.jpeg

• Like 1

I had lobster on my Dad's patio in Rhode Island tonight! 

Delicious and messy.

Was so good I didn't even bother with the butter!

Same with the local corn! Just ate it without any butter or salt!

You've got to love fresh caught and locally grown! 

I'm sure it's delicious on Viking... but I'm so messy when I eat it I think I'll pass... 😄

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Liz Masterson said:

I had lobster on my Dad's patio in Rhode Island tonight! 

Delicious and messy.

Was so good I didn't even bother with the butter!

Same with the local corn! Just ate it without any butter or salt!

You've got to love fresh caught and locally grown! 

I'm sure it's delicious on Viking... but I'm so messy when I eat it I think I'll pass... 😄

LOL. After reading this thread, I ended up doing exactly the same thing. They were on sale in the supermarket this weekend --and they steamed them for me.

Liz, I'm an hour from Providence. Come visit!

• Like 1

As others have said, you will have to wait until you are onboard to see the menus for The Restaurant, but then you will be able to took through them all. On our 15-day cruise, we had lobster on the 6th night and Thermidor one of the last nights.
These will not be advertised. However, if they do a special dinner event at the Pool Grill, those will be advertised. Our cruise had a seafood buffet, a Reuben grill, and Surf and Turf on three nights. The Surf and Turf night wad the same night they served whole lobsters in the MDR.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk