Touchy subject.... appropriate dress?

MrsRoper

8 hours ago, ldubs said:

Why? Because of dress codes.  😀

My comment was aimed at the people who were looking down on those who chose to live without indoor plumbing, electricity, etc.  

The last I knew, there is no dress code off the grid.  

11 hours ago, clo said:

On another thread someone commented along the lines of 'well, it's just a recommendation.'  My reply was something like 'well, when you were a teen and your mother said 'I recommend that you be home by 11' did you really think that was discretionary?'

I'm no longer a teen and the cruise line isn't my mother.

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

My comment was aimed at the people who were looking down on those who chose to live without indoor plumbing, electricity, etc.  

The last I knew, there is no dress code off the grid.  

My post was intended to be good natured.  I agree with your aim, though I would say no one should be looked down upon for their social status or dress.  

I guess that is the problem with forums.  The intent of a post can be easily misread.  Relax.

16 hours ago, brillohead said:

My comment was aimed at the people who were looking down on those who chose to live without indoor plumbing,

Who said anyone was looking down on them?  Why do you put words in other people's mouths??  You made that up at worst, or misinterpreted at best.

I said I might have trouble enjoying a cruise if a family member lacked running water in the house - this came from a thought that I would help people in my family before spending money on the cruise if they needed it.  If they refused, I'm fine with that, and I'll enjoy the cruise!  Simple enough I thought.  Here, it gets turned around to I was insulting them!  Crazy. 

BTW, most Amish people have indoor running water & plumbing.  Grew up among them.  Don't say they don't when they do.  Look it up.

Categorizing people by their faith or color or age or whatever is narrow minded and I'm disappointed to see it here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

BTW, most Amish people have indoor running water & plumbing.  Grew up among them.  Don't say they don't when they do.  Look it up.

Categorizing people by their faith or color or age or whatever is narrow minded and I'm disappointed to see it here.

How about we agree to disagree about how most Amish people live (perhaps you know Mennonites instead of Amish people), and you stop calling people names (which, while disappointing, is not surprising to see here). Deal?

Thread seems to have migrated from appropriate dress to different life styles.  Everyone should be entitled to the life style he/she prefers; but in what way does one’s chosen life style mean that others’ expectation of an advertised ambience becomes irrelevant?

If you choose a line with an advertised dress code, you might want to consider going along with it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If you choose a line with an advertised dress code, you might want to consider going along with it.

From what I read here, there's still quite a bit a latitude so I don't understand why everyone isn't willing to go with the minimum at least.

4 hours ago, clo said:

From what I read here, there's still quite a bit a latitude so I don't understand why everyone isn't willing to go with the minimum at least.

There's sometimes a bit of discussion about the minimum.

Then, there are those who think the minimum isn't good enough.  

55 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Have you ever thought to ask the maitre d' what, in a perfect world, he would consider the minimum?  And would you conform to that?

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I have not seen many comments about the minimum not being good enough — but a fair amount of cliches about what pants someone else is wearing not affecting the taste of food.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

Have you ever thought to ask the maitre d' what, in a perfect world, he would consider the minimum?  And would you conform to that?

How many maitre d' are there?  Do you think they could/would agree on the minimum?

The whole question of what is appropriate to wear in the MDR is really only important to those who are into social status signaling.   

3 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I have not seen many comments about the minimum not being good enough — but a fair amount of cliches about what pants someone else is wearing not affecting the taste of food.  

I've seen many derogatory comments about those who only dress to the minimum standard.  It's like looking for the fashion police, they are there for those who choose to look.

Edited by RocketMan275

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

How many maitre d' are there?  Do you think they could/would agree on the minimum?

The whole question of what is appropriate to wear in the MDR is really only important to those who are into social status signaling.   

Oh sigh.  On your next cruise, assuming you've been on a cruise, why not ask him/her?  AND would you go along with that? Or do you really just not like anyone telling you what to do?

23 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

those who only dress to the minimum standard

Please define what 'you people' think is the "minimum standard"?  Please tell me right now what you think it is.  A bathing suit and flips in the GDR?  And ignore there are other venue will gladly accept you?

2 minutes ago, clo said:

Please define what 'you people' think is the "minimum standard"?  Please tell me right now what you think it is.  A bathing suit and flips in the GDR?  And ignore there are other venue will gladly accept you?

Every cruise line has a code defining the minimum standard.  One of the problems I've seen is a number of people who insist that the minimum isn't sufficient and try to inject their opinions about what people should wear.

10 minutes ago, clo said:

Oh sigh.  On your next cruise, assuming you've been on a cruise, why not ask him/her?  AND would you go along with that? Or do you really just not like anyone telling you what to do?

There really was no reason for that kind of comment.  

2 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

There really was no reason for that kind of comment.  

Why?  I want to know if a somewhat management person of the cruise line told you the minimum, would you conform to that?  What was wrong with "that kind of comment"?

On 8/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, klfrodo said:

Key word being "Suggested"

My BIL is an over the road trucker. His home is his truck. All he owns is what's on his back. There is no way in hell that he's going to buy a jacket and tie. He's got his blue jeans, work boots, some sneakers, and a couple of nice shirts.

Yes, he eats in the MDR on formal nights and goes with us into Specialty Restaurants. I'm proud to have him sit with us and enjoy dinner.

If he's not welcome at your table,,, well, that says more about you than it does him.

Here is an example of a post protesting a dress code — is there ANY example of one stating that the dress code was not strict enough?  I think there have been a number supporting complying with whatever is suggested -  but that seems to upset the “don’t tell me what to wear” folks.

6 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

is there ANY example of one stating that the dress code was not strict enough?  

Around 15 years ago we were on a cruise (HAL maybe?) and it was a formal night.  Bob was in black tie and I was similarly dressed.  Two guys walked in like they'd come off a bad golf course.  In wrinkled khaki shorts and even more wrinkled madras-type shirt.  If I remember it after this long then perhaps one can figure out that it colored my sense of the evening.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I've seen many derogatory comments about those who only dress to the minimum standard.  It's like looking for the fashion police, they are there for those who choose to look.

Can you actually cite some of those “many derogatory comments” about people who actually did dress to the minimum standard —- meaning they complied with the stated dress code, and were still criticized?

I have not —- I have, however, seen a few comments referring to people who did not quite make the minimum standard.

8 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Can you actually cite some of those “many derogatory comments” about people who actually did dress to the minimum standard —- meaning they complied with the stated dress code, and were still criticized?

I have not —- I have, however, seen a few comments referring to people who did not quite make the minimum standard.

One example should suffice.  There have been multiple comments about the decline in standards.  Some have even tried to link that decline to the relaxing of dress by passengers.   I've even seen some state that the quality of the food in the MDR would improve if the passengers showed more respect by dressing to a higher standard.  

9 hours ago, clo said:

Why?  I want to know if a somewhat management person of the cruise line told you the minimum, would you conform to that?  What was wrong with "that kind of comment"?

There is something wrong when you challenge whether I've ever been on a cruise.

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

One example should suffice.  There have been multiple comments about the decline in standards.  Some have even tried to link that decline to the relaxing of dress by passengers.   I've even seen some state that the quality of the food in the MDR would improve if the passengers showed more respect by dressing to a higher standard.  

You claimed that there were “many derogatory comments” about people who actually did dress to the minimum standard;  yet when asked to provide some examples, the best you can do is claim that there have been multiple comments about the decline in standards.

I agree, there has been a decline in standards -  across the board:  food quality, service quality, etc.  But, to follow up on your evasive answer, can you back up your claim:  cite a statement by someone claiming that food would improve if people dressed better?