Touchy subject.... appropriate dress?

MrsRoper

13 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

What I don't understand is this: why do you let another person's apparel affect your 'ambiance'?

If you're sitting with two gentlemen, one wearing slacks and the other blue jeans, does their apparel change your appreciation of their company?  Do you let their clothing affect your judgement? 

I surprisingly agree with you.  I was surprised how comfortable I was made to feel at Skylon (referenced in my earlier post) which is an upscale restaurant, despite being very casually dressed.  I did notice the Maitre 'D being impeccably dressed, but really wasn't aware of other customers.  We follow posted dress codes, but it was very nice to find a practical dress code for a tourist area.

9 hours ago, clo said:

While out of style, they should, if worn at all, be ironed so those stupid pockets on the side don't bulge out.

Those "stupid" pockets will likely bulge out if they are being used to carry anything.  I know people who have to carry certain medications with them (epi pens, inhalers, etc) that are more secure in a side pocket with a closure vs. a front pocket where items can slide out when you sit down.  Most men don't carry purses/bags so the pockets can be quite functional - not necessarily a style choice.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Icon901 said:

Your “tennies” are unacceptable for main dining room (and other lounges/bars) on Celebrity as well as several other lines. 

The cargo pants (while horribly out of fashion) are suitable.... as is the polo shirt... so you’re good to go there. 🙂 

Is that your opinion that 'tennies' are  unacceptable?  I see no mention in the dress code for Celebrity.

Is it terrible to be 'horribly out of fashion'?  Isn't 'fashion' just another way of letting others tell  you how to dress?

3 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

I surprisingly agree with you.  I was surprised how comfortable I was made to feel at Skylon (referenced in my earlier post) which is an upscale restaurant, despite being very casually dressed.  I did notice the Maitre 'D being impeccably dressed, but really wasn't aware of other customers.  We follow posted dress codes, but it was very nice to find a practical dress code for a tourist area.

Those "stupid" pockets will likely bulge out if they are being used to carry anything.  I know people who have to carry certain medications with them (epi pens, inhalers, etc) that are more secure in a side pocket with a closure vs. a front pocket where items can slide out when you sit down.  Most men don't carry purses/bags so the pockets can be quite functional - not necessarily a style choice.

Thank you.  The point is this.  Why let others decide how you will dress?  Why let the opinions of others run your life?  Dress as you like (within reasonable limits) and let other dress as they like.  I follow the dress codes too but I still question whether they should exist.

I wonder which is more 'fashionable'?  Cargo pants or a man purse?

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

Is that your opinion that 'tennies' are  unacceptable?  I see no mention in the dress code for Celebrity.

Is it terrible to be 'horribly out of fashion'?  Isn't 'fashion' just another way of letting others tell  you how to dress?

For shoes, pack flip-flops or waterproof slides for wearing back and forth from the pool and spa. You’ll also want a pair of dressier shoes for Evening Chic nights and your smart casual clothing.

From Celebritycruises.com “how to dress”. 

Edited by Icon901

52 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

For shoes, pack flip-flops or waterproof slides for wearing back and forth from the pool and spa. You’ll also want a pair of dressier shoes for Evening Chic nights and your smart casual clothing.

From Celebritycruises.com “how to dress”. 

The actual dress code doesn't even mention shoes.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/help-and-faqs/during-your-cruise/onboard-dress-code

That's one of the problems in these 'how to dress' threads.  People insert their opinions of what is 'acceptable' rather than the actual dress code.

3 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Those "stupid" pockets will likely bulge out if they are being used to carry anything.

I guess "bulge" was an exaggeration.  But when the whole thing is obviously unironed that inverted pleated or whatever sticks out.

12 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

If people are that worried over how I may dress, then I have to wonder, is the problem how I may dress? Or is it something with the person tut tutting?

The “problem” is generally with the person creating the problem:  such as refusing to comply with suggested dress code or, on the other hand, inappropriately “tut tutting”.

Nobody really gives a damn about how you dress, but if you pointedly snub your fellow passengers by ignoring requested dress code, is it really unreasonable for them to snub you back?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

such as refusing to comply with suggested dress code or

Key word being "Suggested"

My BIL is an over the road trucker. His home is his truck. All he owns is what's on his back. There is no way in hell that he's going to buy a jacket and tie. He's got his blue jeans, work boots, some sneakers, and a couple of nice shirts.

Yes, he eats in the MDR on formal nights and goes with us into Specialty Restaurants. I'm proud to have him sit with us and enjoy dinner.

If he's not welcome at your table,,, well, that says more about you than it does him.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Key word being "Suggested"

My BIL is an over the road trucker. His home is his truck. All he owns is what's on his back. There is no way in hell that he's going to buy a jacket and tie. He's got his blue jeans, work boots, some sneakers, and a couple of nice shirts.

Yes, he eats in the MDR on formal nights and goes with us into Specialty Restaurants. I'm proud to have him sit with us and enjoy dinner.

If he's not welcome at your table,,, well, that says more about you than it does him.

I certainly am not averse to sitting down with folks in jeans and work boots. Most of my best friends are blue collar types, and when the atmosphere/occasion doesn't call for it I'm a jeans/T-Shirt kinda guy 🙂 Love camping, hiking, etc. I just try to be respectful of decorum at certain events/locations. 

Out of curiosity, what does he wear to weddings or funerals? 

Edited by Icon901
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Icon901 said:

I certainly am not averse to sitting down with folks in jeans and work boots. Most of my best friends are blue collar types, and when the atmosphere/occasion doesn't call for it I'm a jeans/T-Shirt kinda guy 🙂 Love camping, hiking, etc. I just try to be respectful of decorum at certain events/locations. 

One of my former in-laws was married and buried in camo overalls.  Realtree Hardwoods IIRC.

4 hours ago, Icon901 said:

🙂

That made me laugh. You obviously don't know my family.

I've got family members who live off the land. They have a well on the property but no running water in the house. No indoor toilet. Still using an outhouse.

When my parents passed, they showed up to show their respect. My wife had never met them. She thought she was in a Duck Dynasty episode. They cleaned up to the best of their ability, but the most important thing was they were their for their aunt and uncle. THAT's what was important. What they were wearing had no bearing on the love and respect they were showing the family.

Regarding my BIL, what would he wear? What he wears on the outside means nothing to what he is on the inside. I can tell you that if you needed his shirt because you were cold or needed it for a tourniquet, he'd give it to you in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Imagine they would be insulted if you tried to change the situation.

Exactly

They are living the life they wanted. They want for nothing. They have a car to get them into town. They barter or work for their neighbors if they need cash, they charge exorbitant fees so city slickers can come hunt on their property. They’re doing okay.

I couldn’t survive in their world, nor could they survive in mine.

Edited by klfrodo

1 hour ago, klfrodo said:

What he wears on the outside means nothing to what he is on the inside

Of course not.  No one is saying that.  At least I don't think they are.  For his birthday/Christmas/whatever why not give him a pair of Docker-style pants.  With his tennies and nice shirt wouldn't he like that look?

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Well, they are your kin, so none of my business, but running water in the house makes a big difference for some folks, won't say no more.

Lots and lots of Amish people live amazingly happy and fulfilling lives without running water, indoor toilets, central heating, electric lights, etc.  

If people are happy with their choices and it's not hurting anyone else, why should anyone else judge them or try to change them?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, clo said:

Of course not.  No one is saying that.  At least I don't think they are.  For his birthday/Christmas/whatever why not give him a pair of Docker-style pants.  With his tennies and nice shirt wouldn't he like that look?

He would probably prefer a new hunting knife or new blue jeans.   

My former in-laws lived in a trailer that had been once condemned.  They drive 15 year old pickups.  I doubt they own a tie.  Funny thing, they're probably worth over a million.  They could live a different life style but they prefer the one they have.  

I would never considered trying to change their clothing styles.  They would have thought it to be insulting by implying what they had wasn't good enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Regarding my BIL, what would he wear? What he wears on the outside means nothing to what he is on the inside. I can tell you that if you needed his shirt because you were cold or needed it for a tourniquet, he'd give it to you in a heartbeat.

This has taken a bizarre twist... wow 🤣

I'm happy for your and your BIL. I hope you guys have an amazing time on your cruise. Cheers 😉

18 hours ago, brillohead said:

If people are happy with their choices and it's not hurting anyone else, why should anyone else judge them or try to change them?

Why? Because of dress codes.  😀

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

Why? Because of dress codes.  😀

On another thread someone commented along the lines of 'well, it's just a recommendation.'  My reply was something like 'well, when you were a teen and your mother said 'I recommend that you be home by 11' did you really think that was discretionary?'

• Like 2