10 am flight in Ft Lauderdale too early?

crusinbanjo

Hi All 

Ms Banjo and I will be back on Veendam in October cruising from New England to Ft Lauderdale.  The ship is scheduled to arrive in FLL at 7am, it is possible to book a direct flight home that departs FLL at 10 am.  I am hoping to get some opinions on if this is too close on the time.  I know the airport is close, but I don't want to be under great stress through security, etc.

You'll be the only ship in PEG on the 23rd, which would increase your odds of making it ... but I wouldn't try! Think of the hassles and expense involved if you didn't make it and there wasn't space on a later flight.

23 minutes ago, twentyknots said:

and never had a problem.

Yet

Edited by catl331
  • Like 3

Hi All 

Ms Banjo and I will be back on Veendam in October cruising from New England to Ft Lauderdale.  The ship is scheduled to arrive in FLL at 7am, it is possible to book a direct flight home that departs FLL at 10 am.  I am hoping to get some opinions on if this is too close on the time.  I know the airport is close, but I don't want to be under great stress through security, etc.

I base my decision on the consequences of missing the flight. Are there more flights that day? Do you get stressed out easily? How will you react if the ship is delayed by 2 hours. If none of this would bother you - then go for it. I would say you have a 90% chance of making the flight
  • Like 1

In a perfect world and all the stars align and there's a full moon and nothing, and I mean nothing, happens such as the ship arriving late (this does happen more frequently than you'd think) or there's an auto accident on the freeway, etc., etc., etc., you might make it.  However, I'd be ill thinking about it.  Just book a later flight and relax during your cruise and when you disembark.

• Like 1

We had a noon flight once and I was a bit stressed-on our last 2 sea days there was a medical emergency which diverted us.  Captain kept us updated & the next day said we would not make it to Ft Lauderdale by 7am.  Luckily the stars aligned and we were in by 8 allowing us to catch our flight.  However, the people who had 10am-I don’t think they would make it.  I can’t remember how long it took us to clear etc.

It’s always a possible but I’d rather not stress after my holiday worrying about catching a flight. 

• Like 2

Mr, and Mrs. Banjo,

remember that everything is not set up right away in FLL.  The ship is not always cleared when it should be.

If everything goes right, yes, if you want to tear off the ship, tear to the airport (have you been through security at FLL it can take a very long time).

Me? We don’t like stress.  I’d book a later flight, have a leisurely breakfast on board and make your way with no worries about getting through security delays, etc and get your flight. 

JMO though.

• Like 1

I would not like the cruise ending with me being stressed about making that early flight.

Kazu stated quite a few things that could go wrong.

You may have to carry off all your luggage yourself -- no help from the staff.  You may have to skip breakfast and may not have time to grab anything to eat at the airport.

Ft Lauderdale airport security can be a zoo even on a day with only 1 ship in port.

• Like 2

I agree with other posters. If I had a 10 am flight I would be sweating the weather and other issues the last 2 days of the cruise and worrying about this or that. If you are the type of person who won’t stress or worry about this for the last 2 days of your cruise then go for it.....but if you are the type that will be pressuring people on the gangway if the ship is an hour late...and creating stress for everyone you encounter -then do everyone else all a favor and take a later flight.

If you can keep your frustration to yourself if things get delayed then go for it.

I hate to be around people who plan tight connections and then stress out everyone in the area as they fret out-loud and get cranky with staff if delays occur.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G&G said:

We recently booked a 10 am flight out of FLL with six ships in port. Made sure we were one of first off the ship and were at gate by 8:00 am.

And that has been the experience of many people. However, I can recall 3 times in our cruising experience when we would not have made such an early flight because of relatively minor problems.

Edited by catl331

9 hours ago, mamaofami said:

The airport in FLL is a nightmare with very long lines to check in. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

We must be traveling from different airports. I have been traveling in and out of FLL for 20 years almost every month and rarely experienced long lines at checkout; fly Southwest. If you have pre TSA and Global Entry, it helps. But your ship arrives on Wenesday normally not a busy airport day and as I said earlier, your the only ship in port

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the replies and advice.  Mrs Banjo and I are booking a later flight that goes to Boston, instead of Providence, still a direct flight, (the non direct flights are hours longer in airports),  just need to change the car service to pick us up at a different location.  

As as I am writing this I can’t help feeling how fortunate we are to have 2 good airports near us!  Thanks again

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, crusinbanjo said:

Thanks for all the replies and advice.  Mrs Banjo and I are booking a later flight that goes to Boston, instead of Providence, still a direct flight, (the non direct flights are hours longer in airports),  just need to change the car service to pick us up at a different location.  

As as I am writing this I can’t help feeling how fortunate we are to have 2 good airports near us!  Thanks again

You will sleep much better that last night on the ship!   

• Like 1

If everything goes on schedule, ship arrives on time, immigration officials are on time, no problems with luggage removal,  no strange immigration problems caused by an unusual number of non-US guests onboard, lots of available taxis, no shortage of TSA officials at the FLL airport, no breakdown of computers,  then a 10 AM flight could work.   But who needs that kind of stress after a great cruise.   And who wants to have the extra expense of missing the flight and maybe spending a night in a hotel somewhere on your routing back home ?

We have been at our FLL gate as early as 8 am and certianly 9 am in the past, but we did not experience any delays along the way.  One thing about getting to the airport before 9 am - you usually miss the crowds that come in on the numerous cruise ship buses.  A matter of 10 minutes difference can triple the time it takes to get through security - I have watched it happen.  Fll is very unusual in this regard, not like most airports.