Environmentally Friendly Changes

MsSoCalCruiser

Thank you, MSCC.  This looks familiar.  I think that somebody posted something very similar, if not identical, here on Cruise Critic a few weeks ago.

I am glad to see Carnival take this action.  I truly hope they can live up to the ideals that they are espousing.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CRZR58 said:

That should save them some cash. I'm sure they'll pass the savings on to the customer.

Not so sure about that. Paragraph four says otherwise. If you don't believe that, think about the extra labor involved in cleaning trash bins because there are no liners, having to wash more dispensers than ever and so on.

Does this also mean the demise of bottled water on the ships? Seems like it does. We always like to take these bottles on shore. Princess doesn't allow other beverages like coffee, to go on shore but water in bottles is ok. Now that they're going to be gone I suppose a passenger's personal water bottle might have to be allowed...

22 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

Thank you, MSCC.  This looks familiar.  I think that somebody posted something very similar, if not identical, here on Cruise Critic a few weeks ago.

I am glad to see Carnival take this action.  I truly hope they can live up to the ideals that they are espousing.

You’re welcome.  If I saw the other post I honestly don’t remember...  but that’s nothing new, LOL. 

20 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

Not so sure about that. Paragraph four says otherwise. If you don't believe that, think about the extra labor involved in cleaning trash bins because there are no liners, having to wash more dispensers than ever and so on.

Does this also mean the demise of bottled water on the ships? Seems like it does. We always like to take these bottles on shore. Princess doesn't allow other beverages like coffee, to go on shore but water in bottles is ok. Now that they're going to be gone I suppose a passenger's personal water bottle might have to be allowed...

As far as the bottled water I really don’t know because if you read it again it says reduce or eliminate. I know that plastic is the devil but I love my bottled water. 

Thank you as well to OP for sharing.  It's about time Carnival Corp and Princess adopted these measures.  The days they sail through Glacier Bay National Park up in Alaska, all disposable cups and cutlery were not allowed so it's not as if Princess isn't accustomed to this type of roll out...guess time will tell how they can accomplish this on a much larger scale, fleet-wide.

• Like 1

Find it rather hypocritical of Princess to send that e-mail out with corporate bumph saying " recognise the importance of protecting and preserving the marine environment" when they have repeatedly and been heavily fined on more than one occasion of illegal dumping into the sea in Alaska and around British Isles. What a bunch of hypocrites.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

They'll be happy to sell you one of theirs in case you don't have one....at a premium price of course. 😏 

• Like 1

What's wrong with a paper napkin, stir stick or toothpick?

I can't wait to see the recycle cans on the pool deck after people dump liquids & food in them.

I pity the poor crew member that has to clean them out each day.

Rather than deriding Princess for taking progressive action now because of past transgressions (which agreed, we’re appalling!) I do approve of them making efforts to become more responsible stewards of the environment.  I’d rather them take progressive action than no action at all.  Good step forward - keep it up, Princess.

Edited by LoriPhil
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, LoriPhil said:

Rather than deriding Princess for taking progressive action now because of past transgressions (which agreed, we’re appalling!) I do approve of them making efforts to become more responsible stewards of the environment.  I’d rather them take progressive action than no action at all.  Good step forward - keep it up, Princess.

Well one thing is for sure, it'll make you feel better about the situation although it won't probably do much good in the long run as long since most of the world continues down the same path. 

50 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Well one thing is for sure, it'll make you feel better about the situation although it won't probably do much good in the long run as long since most of the world continues down the same path. 

Hate to burst your bubble, but in some states, they are ahead of Princess in the recycling and protect the environment game...mayhaps not where you live, or you personally, but in a lot of places...

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but in some states, they are ahead of Princess in the recycling and protect the environment game...mayhaps not where you live, or you personally, but in a lot of places...

Referring to the rest of the world not the US & especially California with their wacko green new deal approach to everything. 

A lot of  the world IS getting onboard with conserving the environment...that's why it's called "Earth Day" not "United States Day". 

I may not be the most forward thinking when it comes to the changes, but I do my part, and I definitely AM informed due to my work. Just because some areas aren't conserving or helping, does not mean that efforts by others should be diminished by those who don't want to help out.

Every bit helps as they say.

• Like 4