How to talk nicely with Aussies and Kiwis?

Here is some scientific reading about drop bears. It even has a picture.

Note it says they mostly  prey on those with foreign accents.  A word of caution, do not try to put on an Australian accent, it makes them more vicious.

https://www.australiangeographic.com.au/news/2013/04/drop-bears-target-tourists-study-says/

1 hour ago, IslandThyme said:

Is wh always pronounced as f, or only at the beginning of a word?

I wonder if I can manage to terrify timid passengers with drop bear tales. 

I believe it is only Maori names starting with wh.

5 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

I'm not actually sure. There aren't that many Maori place names with the "wh" in the middle of the word. I could only think of two -  Rawhiti and Maungawhai - and I think they are both pronounced as "wh" not "f", but that could just be the anglicisation of those words. 

6 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

I wonder if I can manage to terrify timid passengers with drop bear tales. 

Depending on one’s tribal affiliations, the letters wh are either pronounced as ‘w’ or ‘f’.  From my experience the ‘f’ sound is more common.

Pronunciation doesn’t depend on where the letters are placed in the word.

Compared to learning English, te reo Māori pronunciation is actually relatively easily.  (Not that you would think so given how poorly many kiwis pronounce Māori words).  I would argue that the only tricky thing to learn is the blending of vowels (such as the ia in Kia Ora, the āo in māori or the au in Tauranga).  Te Reo Māori certainly isn’t plagued with ‘exceptions to the rules’, like English is.  

There are 5 vowels (a, e, i, o, u) which all make only one sound each.  

/a/ as in the a in car

/e/ as in the e in egg

/i/ as in the ea in eat

/o/ as in the o in tore

/u/ as in oo in moo

Then there are just 10 consonants (k, h, m, n, ng, p, r, t, w, wh) which always pair with 1-2 vowels to make a syllable.  

E.g.  Whakapapa ski field is broken up into Wha-ka-pa-pa.  Matamata (where Hobbiton is located) is broken into Ma-ta-ma-ta, Tauranga is broken into Tau-ra-nga, and Rotorua is Ro-to-ru-a

If you’ve ever learnt how to speak Japanese, Te Reo is very similar.  

Edited by oskarNZ

I'm happy to have these guides to pronunciation, and I am totally adopting whuck!

Actually, Maori looks a lot like Hawaiian, which is easy to pronounce if you just go one syllable at a time. Hawaiian does have an apostrophe-like mark, to indicate a little break in the word.

5 hours ago, IslandThyme said:

I'm happy to have these guides to pronunciation, and I am totally adopting whuck!

Actually, Maori looks a lot like Hawaiian, which is easy to pronounce if you just go one syllable at a time. Hawaiian does have an apostrophe-like mark, to indicate a little break in the word.

Iwh, you want to use whuck, that is whair enough. Just be aware of whucking whive whingered pilwherers.😋

34 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Actually, the Pacific Ocean has many more seas in it, but they are silent.😋

I've seen and heard some very loud seas in the Pacific Ocean Mic. 😁

• Like 1

This discussion reminds me of the lovely Kiwi lady we met onboard Voyager in 2013. She had the broadest Kiwi accent I have ever come across, and introduce herself as "Biv". I thought that's a very different name. Turns our her name was Bev.

Anyway, within the group we met, we were discussing cabin locations. Her and he husband were on Deck 6. We delighted in repeatedly asking here where her cabin was located & she would reply Deck 6, which we would all hear as Dick Sex. I don't know that she ever caught on to our amusement.

The other amusing thing for me with Kiwis, especially on Sth Is is the word wee, which applies to just about everything. A tour guide in Dunedin pointed out the 'wee bridge', the 'wee hill'' the 'wee tree' etc & then the 'WEE MOUNTAIN' 🙂 

10 minutes ago, mr walker said:

This discussion reminds me of the lovely Kiwi lady we met onboard Voyager in 2013. She had the broadest Kiwi accent I have ever come across, and introduce herself as "Biv". I thought that's a very different name. Turns our her name was Bev.

Anyway, within the group we met, we were discussing cabin locations. Her and he husband were on Deck 6. We delighted in repeatedly asking here where her cabin was located & she would reply Deck 6, which we would all hear as Dick Sex. I don't know that she ever caught on to our amusement.

The other amusing thing for me with Kiwis, especially on Sth Is is the word wee, which applies to just about everything. A tour guide in Dunedin pointed out the 'wee bridge', the 'wee hill'' the 'wee tree' etc & then the 'WEE MOUNTAIN' 🙂 

Scots use the wee a lot, maybe it was an import.