Tulips in Amsterdam

cunnorl

We are going to be in Amsterdam on 5/3/20 and we are interested in going to Keukenhof to see the tulips. My daughter is a fulltime wheelchair user but there are family members to assist. Any recommendations on the best way to get there from the ship?

Thanks!!

11 hours ago, cunnorl said:

We are going to be in Amsterdam on 5/3/20 and we are interested in going to Keukenhof to see the tulips. My daughter is a fulltime wheelchair user but there are family members to assist. Any recommendations on the best way to get there from the ship?

Thanks!!

Firstly, are you going in March or May?

In Europe 5/3/20 is the 5th of March and the gardens will be closed. They open 21st  of March until May the 10th. 

I have no no experience of this company but they may be useful :

https://www.accessibletravelnl.com/travel/Tour-Keukenhof-

4 hours ago, Highpeaklad said:

Firstly, are you going in March or May?

In Europe 5/3/20 is the 5th of March and the gardens will be closed.

An important question for the OP.   Since they are in the U.S., I am guessing it's May 3, 2020, but they will need to clarify.

We were at Keukenhof in May a few years ago.

It is wonderful, however, May is too late for most of the tulip fields.

There are still LOTS of wonderful flowers and gardens to see, but probably not the acres of tulips that you see in some advertising pictures.

Sorry, I can't help with transportation issues, we took the bus from the airport to the gardens, not sure about transportation from the port.

Hope you enjoy your visit, we did.  I'd love to go back.

• Like 1

I think in this case a taxi would be easiest. Another option is to take the metro from the Amsterdam Central Station to Europaplein station (all step free or elevators available). At Europaplein you can transfer to the special Keukenhof express busses. These busses should be step free too. Closer to the opening date of the 2020 season of the Keukenhof, you will be able to buy combi tickets that include public transport to and from the Keukenhof and entry to the Keukenhof. These combi tickets can be bought at the official website of the Keukenhof. https://keukenhof.nl/en/

On 8/14/2019 at 9:21 PM, cunnorl said:

Thanks!!

Hi, I just booked this cruise yesterday.  I'm travelling by myself.  I too am interested in going to the Keukenhof gardens.  I will be happy to assist you and your daughter in getting to the gardens.  I do not see going to the gardens as an excursion offered by NCL (at least not for this year).  I don't see the 2020 excursions are available yet.  From what I can see to get to the gardens is via train and/or bus.  The Combi ticket, suggested by Dutch_Travelgirl may be the way to go.   I checked with Viator and they do have day trips to the gardens which include accessible transportation.  That's always an option.  

When I was in Amsterdam last April prior to my river cruise, we booked a tour through Viator. We met at Centraal and traveled by bus to a bulb farm first and then to Keukenhof. As I check now, though, I see that the tour is marked "not wheelchair accessible". Perhaps they offer alternatives that would be accessible, even if i means skipping the bulb farm? 

1 hour ago, 3rdCoastFan said:

When I was in Amsterdam last April prior to my river cruise, we booked a tour through Viator. We met at Centraal and traveled by bus to a bulb farm first and then to Keukenhof. As I check now, though, I see that the tour is marked "not wheelchair accessible". Perhaps they offer alternatives that would be accessible, even if i means skipping the bulb farm? 

Early May is too late for the bulb farm anyway.

Remember, Viator doesn't run the tours; they are just a middle man.

I would suggest that the OP contact these people

https://www.accessibletravelnl.com/travel/Tour-Keukenhof-

Assuming your daughter indeed needs to use her wheelchair fulltime I think your only and best option is to get a private driver. That will not be cheap unfortunately. This company offers transportaton for wheelchairs. Maybe you can include some of your fellow passenger to share the ride to make it more affordable? https://www.accessibletravelnl.com/travel/Tour-Keukenhof-

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 12:45 PM, Ine said:

Assuming your daughter indeed needs to use her wheelchair fulltime I think your only and best option is to get a private driver. That will not be cheap unfortunately. This company offers transportaton for wheelchairs. Maybe you can include some of your fellow passenger to share the ride to make it more affordable? https://www.accessibletravelnl.com/travel/Tour-Keukenhof-

Thank you for this information. I have contacted this company and they are very responsive. They answered my questions  and multiple emails quickly. They are able to provide the excursions we are looking for which is great! I feel the pricing was fair. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cunnorl said:

Thank you for this information. I have contacted this company and they are very responsive. They answered my questions  and multiple emails quickly. They are able to provide the excursions we are looking for which is great! I feel the pricing was fair. 

Great, have a wonderful trip!

• 3 weeks later...