The right time to purchase WiFi??

mringenoldus

I admit that Princess has stumped me....

Typically, it is best to buy items like WiFi prior to sailing at a discounted cost, therefore I purchased a four device package. But I have now received an email that has me confused. We are Elite members sailing on Royal Princess beginning on September 14 (B2B2B).

The email states: Get the best rates on our unlimited MedallionNet packages when you purchase for the full voyage. And save even more when you purchase on Cruise Personalizer before you sail with rates as low as $9.99 per day.* Platinum and Elite guests can use MedallionNet with their Captain’s Circle minutes or, better yet, choose an exclusive embarkation day discount on an unlimited package once on board.

Should I cancel my purchases for each leg and re-buy at an even better rate after boarding??

Thanks!!

On board the CB now. Turning in my 500 minutes(Elite minutes), it cost me  $224 for 4 devices. For 1 device it was $112. These prices Are for a 26 day cruise. Quoted price for the 10 day first leg was $80something. 

Edited by weedpindle

I'm trying to figure it out too. We have yet to sail on a medallinet enabled ship but we are on the sky for 14 days and the regal for 18 next year. We have loads of obc on  oth sailings. Is there a simple price structure with Turing in your elite minutes. 

Just got off Royal - I booked as a 14 day but it was "technically" a B2B. I'm elite and pre-cruise price for 14 days was $159 for 1 device. That was meant to include the elite discount - not sure how but that's what it said. Onboard, I traded my free minutes for the unlimited for 1 device and it cost me $89 for the 14 days....

• Like 2

Does anyone know, for those of us who have no status or elite minutes with Princess,  is it better to pre purchase internet or wait until embarkation day? Personalizer is showing prepayment of $99  for 1 device, on a 14 day TA. 

I'm confused by this whole thing.  We're on a 25 day cruise next month.  Shows multi-device $14.99/day.  Does that mean one person can sign up and the other people in the room can use their devices on that account (that would be $374.75)?  Because there is then the Medallion Net voyage package which is $129.99/person ($389.97 for the three of us).  We are not elite members or anything, have no OBC.

46 minutes ago, yerdua said:

Does anyone know, for those of us who have no status or elite minutes with Princess,  is it better to pre purchase internet or wait until embarkation day? Personalizer is showing prepayment of $99  for 1 device, on a 14 day TA. 

I would probably pre buy in your case. Thats a great deal! 

• Like 2

I’m so happy that Princess is letting everyone know that elites will get a better internet deal onboard because they can cash in their complimentary internet minutes at the time they sign up for the internet. If you are not elite or platinum, Princess offers an embarkation day special that is comparable to the internet pre-sail package, but the lines are long. By purchasing the internet before the cruise, you will be able to avoid the lines. 

Ok, so just to be clear, if one person books the 4 device deal, then the other person in the cabin can use up one or more of those 4 devices right? And if I’m Platinum we should wait and trade in our minutes towards a purchase onboard? Thank you.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mringenoldus said:

I admit that Princess has stumped me....

Typically, it is best to buy items like WiFi prior to sailing at a discounted cost, therefore I purchased a four device package. But I have now received an email that has me confused. We are Elite members sailing on Royal Princess beginning on September 14 (B2B2B).

The email states: Get the best rates on our unlimited MedallionNet packages when you purchase for the full voyage. And save even more when you purchase on Cruise Personalizer before you sail with rates as low as $9.99 per day.* Platinum and Elite guests can use MedallionNet with their Captain’s Circle minutes or, better yet, choose an exclusive embarkation day discount on an unlimited package once on board.

Should I cancel my purchases for each leg and re-buy at an even better rate after boarding??

Thanks!!

I wish it would say this in the Personalizer.

7 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

We are on the Caribbean now. The rate was better booking on board. Can use 4 devices, only 1 on line at a time for the $9.99/day.

are you elite or not?  i just bought the 1 devide for $9, but if i can get the 4 device for $9 on board i will cancel. 

One more anecdotal record...

This past Christmas, we took advantage of the platinum/elite discount on board on Regal. One person in our family of four gave up their free minutes and we purchased unlimited minutes at $52 per week for one device which we then all shared. 

11 hours ago, mringenoldus said:

Thanks so much for confirming what I thought I was seeing. I’m going to cancel my current WiFi and book onboard.

you all were very helpful!

SMART MOVE!!

9 hours ago, austenfiend said:

I'm confused by this whole thing.  We're on a 25 day cruise next month.  Shows multi-device $14.99/day.  Does that mean one person can sign up and the other people in the room can use their devices on that account (that would be $374.75)?  Because there is then the Medallion Net voyage package which is $129.99/person ($389.97 for the three of us).  We are not elite members or anything, have no OBC.

YES.  One person buys the multi-device package and then can share their credentials with cabins mates or other family/friends.  You best deal will be on embarkation day.

7 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

I’m so happy that Princess is letting everyone know that elites will get a better internet deal onboard because they can cash in their complimentary internet minutes at the time they sign up for the internet. If you are not elite or platinum, Princess offers an embarkation day special that is comparable to the internet pre-sail package, but the lines are long. By purchasing the internet before the cruise, you will be able to avoid the lines. 

You do not have to stand in line to order internet without status.  Just connect to ship's INTRANET by entering the ship's URL into browser:  <shipname>.princess.com.  You will find information or a link to buy INTERNET plans.  Pick the one you want and enter credentials and cost is charged to your room account. 

I found that trading in my Platinum/Elite minutes was a 2-step process.  Accept the free minutes.  Don't use them and then exchange for a plan.  On our last cruise the Internet Manager in the Cafe had to do something to assist in the process.  It may be totally self-serve the next trip or for others.

5 hours ago, mrmac said:

Ok, so just to be clear, if one person books the 4 device deal, then the other person in the cabin can use up one or more of those 4 devices right? And if I’m Platinum we should wait and trade in our minutes towards a purchase onboard? Thank you.

Yes.  Actually, anyone you care to share your credentials with can login and use your plan.  However, once the device limit is reached (1 or 4), then the system will log off an active device in order to connect a new one.  The user is warned about this before going ahead and connecting on the new device.

8 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

What lines???

You can simply use your digital device to sign on to the Internet and purchase the apckage you want.

Only if you have no digital device of your own and have to use the ship's computers in the Internet room might there be any line.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

You can also use your OBC to pay onboard.

Tony

Yes, another benefit to waiting until boarding if you have obc to spend. Purchasing prior to boarding will incur credit card charges.

I am totally confused.  Everyone seems to be quoting price per day - this is what I am finding 

Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise And Save!

Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise and Save! 120 Minutes $69.00
120 Minutes

$69.00
Quantity 0 12345678910

This package includes 100 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 20 bonus minutes.

Add to Cart
Internet Access - Purchase Pre-Cruise and Save! 240 minutes $99.00
240 minutes

$99.00
Quantity 0 12345678910

This package includes 200 minutes for the purchased plan and an additional 40 bonus minutes.

If you purchase minutes, can they be used over an entire cruise?  On RCCL you have to use your minutes over a 24 hour period, or you lose them.

38 minutes ago, MixerDave said:

If you purchase minutes, can they be used over an entire cruise?

Yes.  It is just a certain quantity of minutes.  You could blow them all in one day or spread them out over the entire cruise.  You did not mention ship and date, but you might want to also look into whether there are unlimited packages available.  These are sold for length of cruise, or by the day (which costs more).  If both are available on your cruise it comes down to a cost comparison and thinking about how much you will access the internet for email, browsing, social apps, etc.