Bridge Officers

oasis05

54 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Most probably no more than one, and even one ship’s officer being assigned bridge duty while in port is unlikely.

Noooo kidding !!😨 I always assumed (Yes, I know WHAT can happen when the unknowing make that mistake) that the lowest of the JG (junior grade) ship's staff would draw the miserable job.Bet others who never give it second thought probably think that there's an assistant captain or captain-in-training who's up, watching the operation. Boy ! are they in for a BIG surprise !😳

The only time I can recollect keeping a bridge watch in port was when we were at anchor way WAY up a river in the Arabian Gulf. It was obviously tidal so we needed to use helm and engines when the tide changed ... otherwise we would risk touching the bank as it was that narrow.

I won’t say which river and port it was but the ‘in trade’ description was that the river was the ‘rectal canal’ 🙄 of the world and the port was 40 miles up it !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oasis05 said:

How many/which ship officers remain on bridge while ship is in port?

Who and how many Deck (and Engineering) watchkeepers depends on all sorts of factors (e.g., docked/anchored, local regulations, weather, nature of ship systems, et al.). Suffice to say:

Per STCW Part 4:

On any ship safely moored or safely at anchor under normal circumstances in port, the master shall arrange for an appropriate and effective watch to be maintained for the purpose of safety. Special requirements may be necessary for special types of ships' propulsion systems or ancillary equipment and for ships carrying hazardous, dangerous, toxic or highly flammable materials or other special types of cargo. 

The crew levels at all times are governed by the Flag State's safe manning, the requirements of which are outlined in the Ship's Specific Manual. In port, the Captain must ensure that sufficient crew remain aboard to handle any emergency situation. Since the Survival Craft are normally not required in port, this requires less crew than when at sea.

When in port, each department will have xx number of "In-Port Manning" cards, which can require about 1/3 of the crew to remain on-board. These cards are distributed to crew on a rotational basis in each port. They are often traded between crew.

With respect to the Bridge & Engine Room, the watch-keeping officers do not normally break their watchkeeping schedule, which on many ships (all of mine) is 4-hours on & 8-hours off. When in port overnight, we have broken sea watches and used a variation of 1:2 work/rest.

In the 70's & 80's, the Bridge was often unmanned at times, as the OOW wandered around the ship with a radio. However, in more recent times, all my ships and the ones I have sailed as a passenger, the Bridge is continuously manned with at least 1 officer and 1 rating. You may be surprised at the volume of communications coming to the Bridge, even in port.

When at sea or anchored, the Bridge Manning varies with the current status, which is often designated Green, Yellow & Red. The specific manning requirements are laid out in the Ship Specific Manual, which contains a Bridge Team Command & Control procedures (or equivalent name). I believe many companies using this system also duplicate it in the E/R Control Room. Green is the least demanding and may require a minimum 2 officers & 2 ratings. When navigation challenges dictate moving to Red, the Bridge Team is supplemented by additional officers and the Captain.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, denmarks said:

If they are not moving there is not much happening on the bridge. Everything is controlled in the control room on deck 4.

In many cases, the Bridge is actually busier when in port and secured alongside. We used to look forward to quiet days at sea. The Bridge and the adjacent Emergency Control Centre is the ship's primary command & control station.

Have worked on numerous cruise ships and other than the Engine Control Room and Security Room, I have never experienced a a control room for Deck Officers on Deck # 4. Wouldn't work for me, as I prefer the full situational awareness afforded by views from the Bridge.

What ships have a Deck Dept control room on Deck # 4?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

In many cases, the Bridge is actually busier when in port and secured alongside. We used to look forward to quiet days at sea. The Bridge and the adjacent Emergency Control Centre is the ship's primary command & control station.

Have worked on numerous cruise ships and other than the Engine Control Room and Security Room, I have never experienced a a control room for Deck Officers on Deck # 4. Wouldn't work for me, as I prefer the full situational awareness afforded by views from the Bridge.

What ships have a Deck Dept control room on Deck # 4?

Sorry if I was wrong. It was just my observation. Control is on deck 4 on the Grand Princess. Same deck as the clinic. I went on a tour of it.

1 minute ago, denmarks said:

Sorry if I was wrong. It was just my observation. Control is on deck 4 on the Grand Princess. Same deck as the clinic. I went on a tour of it.

It's about 7 or 8 years since I was on a Grand Class, but I believe that would be the Engine Control Room, which is manned by the Engineering Officers. It is accessed from the M-1 on Deck 4. The Engineers also maintained sea watches in port.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Who and how many Deck (and Engineering) watchkeepers depends on all sorts of factors (e.g., docked/anchored, local regulations, weather, nature of ship systems, et al.). Suffice to say:

Per STCW Part 4:

On any ship safely moored or safely at anchor under normal circumstances in port, the master shall arrange for an appropriate and effective watch to be maintained for the purpose of safety. Special requirements may be necessary for special types of ships' propulsion systems or ancillary equipment and for ships carrying hazardous, dangerous, toxic or highly flammable materials or other special types of cargo. 

Reminds me of that windy winter evening in 1970. when a Navy amphibious ship was anchored in Lynhaven Roads off Little Creek, Virginia.  Rather than take the time to move his station to the wing of the bridge where he could use the pelorus to check bearings on landmarks (many lights were available) the Officer of the Deck stayed in the shelter on the quarter deck. He failed to notice that his ship was dragging anchor until it hit one of the segments of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel span, knocking it off its supports.

At sea, most cruise ships will have two deck officers and two deck crew on bridge watch.  At times, as in pilotage waters, there will also be the Captain and Staff Captain.   In port, this is typically reduced to one officer at all times.  The other officer and crew will be doing deck maintenance work or safety equipment inspections.  The bridge is the safety control station, where the fire alarms, and "911" calls come to, so it is manned 24/7.

As previously noted, there is an Engine Control Room usually on the "I-95" deck (the lowest deck above the watertight sub-division deck), and this is manned 24/7 at sea or in port by an engineering officer, who monitors the entire plant from there, as well as the working of the one or two crew assigned to the watch who are physically in the engineering spaces.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, denmarks said:

If they are not moving there is not much happening on the bridge. Everything is controlled in the control room on deck 4.

The deck entirely varies by ship and can not be stated as a blanket fact.

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

As previously noted, there is an Engine Control Room usually on the "I-95" deck (the lowest deck above the watertight sub-division deck), and this is manned 24/7 at sea or in port by an engineering officer, who monitors the entire plant from there, as well as the working of the one or two crew assigned to the watch who are physically in the engineering spaces.

What is the reason for calling it the I95 deck?  There must be a story behind that.

Just now, ducklite said:

What is the reason for calling it the I95 deck?  There must be a story behind that.

I-95 refers to the main corridor that runs virtually the full length of the ship, unobstructed by watertight doors, since it is above the sub-division deck.  This mirrors I-95 that runs from Houlton, Maine, to Miami.

• Like 1

Just now, chengkp75 said:

I-95 refers to the main corridor that runs virtually the full length of the ship, unobstructed by watertight doors, since it is above the sub-division deck.  This mirrors I-95 that runs from Houlton, Maine, to Miami.

I was thinking that must be what it referred to.  Thanks for the response.  🙂

14 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

"M1"?

Thanks, that is logical, the M1 is the motorway from London north to Scotland, It is certainly wide enough. Passengers were using a short stretch of it to gain access to the tenders and at a lot of ports as well. That was on Marella Explorer, originally MV Galaxy

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Thanks, that is logical, the M1 is the motorway from London north to Scotland, It is certainly wide enough. Passengers were using a short stretch of it to gain access to the tenders and at a lot of ports as well. That was on Marella Explorer, originally MV Galaxy

The Chief is correct, at least on the P&O/Princess ships, the main fore/aft alleyway was referred to as the M-1. In addition to the tenders, you may see it when visiting the Medical Centre.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

I have heard a reference to the 'Burma Road'

Haven't heard that one before, any idea which company. Cunard possibly?

The other possibility could British India, but I don't recall that term from the one BI Ship I worked aboard.

Just to be pedantic 😀 (who? me!) ..... doesn’t the M1 officially route London to Leeds whence it joins with the A1 becoming the A1(M).

I sailed on a couple of BI ships during the transition to Strath Services but no one mentioned the Burma Road .... 

However on a Grey Funnel Line forum some one posted

Burma road Standard nickname for the main passageway running through the length of a ship. In some ships with city names, the Burma road will have the (and associated street signs) of the main thoroughfare of that city.

5 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Just to be pedantic 😀 (who? me!) ..... doesn’t the M1 officially route London to Leeds whence it joins with the A1 becoming the A1(M).

I sailed on a couple of BI ships during the transition to Strath Services but no one mentioned the Burma Road .... 

However on a Grey Funnel Line forum some one posted

Burma road Standard nickname for the main passageway running through the length of a ship. In some ships with city names, the Burma road will have the (and associated street signs) of the main thoroughfare of that city.

That sounds right, as when driving back to Scotland from Southampton, I always used the M5/M6, as the East Coast A1(M) was much slower. Could make St Andrews in under 8 hrs up the West Coast or about 12 hrs on the A1(M). At least in the 1970's the M-1 didn't go up to Scotland.

Grey Funnel Line - great suggestion, as I would never have guessed the RN.

I told my DH about this thread and he had a chuckle over Burma Road and the Grey Funnel Line. Apparently due to their close ties to the RN, the Canadian naval ships he sailed on also called that corridor the  Burma Road.