More Late Night Food Cuts

DallasGuy75219

8 hours ago, coevan said:

buffets can have huge waste, midnight buffets were big losers for them, not enough people awake.

If you eat it or not you have paid for it.its not like your getting a better fare because they put out less food.id rather have the food option..carnival lost its shine to me long ago.i got one more booked then if I cruise again it won't be carnival.

1 hour ago, sanmarcosman said:

There was a charge for skeet shooting. I paid $5 for 3 pulls. This was about 1988. The shotgun had a good kick and we were supervised throughout by a safety officer and their assistant. 

The Late Night snacks menu has been a welcome addition. We're older but can still stomach late night snacks with a few exceptions before bedtime.

Gosh, I wish they still had that. I would have spent most of the day there. My how times have changed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Gosh, I wish they still had that. I would have spent most of the day there. My how times have changed. 

A few years later on the Jubilee in 1991 skeet shooting was listed in the Carnival Capers and when we went there to sign up we were told it was cancelled. It seems something called Desert Storm had started earlier that day and that was the last of shotguns on the fantail. Soon after the sport was withdrawn entirely from most cruise lines. 

Food fun fact: on the first elegant ( then formal ) night there were tent cards on every table in the MDR promoting the National Cattlemen's Beef Association as a way of whetting our appetites for the tender and delicious 8 oz post-cooked filet mignon being served that evening. 

In 1988 there was no 24 hour pizza but we never missed what we didn't have. 

2 hours ago, scpirate said:

If you eat it or not you have paid for it.its not like your getting a better fare because they put out less food.id rather have the food option..carnival lost its shine to me long ago.i got one more booked then if I cruise again it won't be carnival.

Just curious, how did you you pay for it?

If you ask me, I would be 100% content with the deli being open until 1 am. The new deli is so awesome.

• Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 7:41 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

I'm not referring to the gala midnight buffets in the MDR that Carnival cut years ago (and brought back on the Journeys cruises). 

I'm referring to late night snacks served at the Lido buffet.  This menu is from the last incarnation I'm aware of.

Capture.PNG.a83655c13343febda8f36762c29d2eed.PNG

On the sunrise in June that’s what they had on the lido deck from 1130-1 as well as omletes. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RRLLAL said:

On the sunrise in June that’s what they had on the lido deck from 1130-1 as well as omletes. 

Nice!  An omelet on toast makes for a great drunk snack: it soaks up the booze without being too filling.  Perhaps if the Carnival suits could crowbar their wallets open, maybe the fleet could serve breakfast foods at Blue Iguana Cantina from 11:30 PM to 1:00 AM as well.

• Like 1

I remember being on the Island Princess cruise to the Caribbean with my mother in 1984. It was all-inclusive, including beer and wine, I believe. I also remember the midnight buffets and champaign fountains being really amazing.

We went to Alaska on the Royal Caribbean line 2 years ago, and the non-stop additional charges drove me batty.  I wanted to do the wine tasting and the sushi making class, and both of those were $30. Same for my husband - any on-board activity he did had a price tag.  Eating anywhere other than the buffet and MDR seemed to be an up-charge, though there might have been a few places that were included. 

When we cruised Carnival in June, mainly because of lower price since I was footing the bill for 7 people, I was pleasantly surprised at how few things had extra cost.  The Guys burgers and Mexican food, for example, and all the shows and activities. And the atmosphere was so much friendlier and fun.  I will choose Carnival over Royal Caribbean for future cruises without a doubt. 

• Like 8

13 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

There was a charge for skeet shooting. I paid $5 for 3 pulls. This was about 1988. The shotgun had a good kick and we were supervised throughout by a safety officer and their assistant. 

The Late Night snacks menu has been a welcome addition. We're older but can still stomach late night snacks with a few exceptions before bedtime.

Thanks for the info re: skeet shooting. I know he did it many times but I didn't start shooting until after Ruby Ridge and Waco. 

• Like 1

On 8/26/2019 at 7:23 AM, Joebucks said:

I tried the philly a few cruise ago, and it was soooo good. People will spend $3000 on a vacation and LOSE THEIR MIND over a $6 charge. If the fare was $50 higher, they wouldn't care.

Still, I would be a bit disappointed if the late snacks went. The actual "buffet" definitely closes early. The snacks reopen later.

lol - I think the people complaining about a $6 charge spend the least amount required to get on the cruise.  I also think a lot of the grumpy platinum cruisers got their status with inside cabins and going cheap!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

It seems something called Desert Storm had started earlier that day and that was the last of shotguns on the fantail.

Absurd, don't believe this for one second. I do remember hitting golf balls off the stern. Both were stopped for environmental reasons, not Iraq.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coevan said:

Absurd, don't believe this for one second. I do remember hitting golf balls off the stern. Both were stopped for environmental reasons, not Iraq.

I'm not a liar, I'm telling Cruise Critic what I was told that day. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, coevan said:

not calling you a liar, don't believe the reasoning. Just because someone told you, doesn't make it true

The clay discs in pure form were nearly biodegradable, slightly less so if painted.

From Quorum:

"Traps for shooting were once made of clay, hence the name, but they are not today. They are usually made of dolomite or other limestone or chalk and a resin made of petroleum and paint. The resin and the paint are not really good for the environment. The chalk or limestone are not toxic.  Nontoxic versions are made."

Not as bad for the environment as golf balls. That's a memory from the early 60s. What were they thinking?

Edited by sanmarcosman

8 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

The clay discs in pure form were nearly biodegradable, slightly less so if painted.

From Quorum:

"Traps for shooting were once made of clay, hence the name, but they are not today. They are usually made of dolomite or other limestone or chalk and a resin made of petroleum and paint. The resin and the paint are not really good for the environment. The chalk or limestone are not toxic.  Nontoxic versions are made."

Not as bad for the environment as golf balls. That's a memory from the early 60s. What were they thinking?

I drove golf balls off the fan tail of the Eisenhower when she was commissioned.  Best drives I ever did, like the Energizer bunny, just kept going.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

From Quorum:

Lead shots are also frown upon in today's environmental standard. 

• Thanks 1

We were on the splendor last week, our dinning waitress let us know the buffet night, and show that we should check out. I checked on the Funtime, they don't said midnight  buffet. It's late fiesta snack. On regular night it's only said late night snack. It's huge Mexican buffet, and opposite side was a huge dessert buffet as well. Check the location on Funtime, they only open for us at mid ship, the aft buffet was close. During dinner only aft buffet is open, mid ship was close. My husband did record it, very nice. I couldn't eat that late, but my families did enjoy it.. We loved the tandoori on splendor, it's sad to know splendor is the only ship has it, and it's leaving long beach soon. 

Edited by Fatcat604
  • Like 2

The Deli should be open 24 hours along with the pizza.

Simple sandwiches to order and maybe some fries as well. Have them always have a handful of sandwiches ready so that there is no wait.

No food waste and something other than pizza in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

The Deli should be open 24 hours along with the pizza.

Simple sandwiches to order and maybe some fries as well. Have them always have a handful of sandwiches ready so that there is no wait.

No food waste and something other than pizza in the middle of the night.

Room service 

10 minutes ago, robc1972 said:

Have them always have a handful of sandwiches ready so that there is no wait.

please don't, I hated when they switched to pre made sandwiches. How long does it take to put fresh, hot pastrami on rye? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, coevan said:

please don't, I hated when they switched to pre made sandwiches. How long does it take to put fresh, hot pastrami on rye? 

Better than nothing.

10 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

Room service 

If you are out having a good time and want something to snack on going back to the room and waiting for room service defeats the purpose of staying out.

• Like 1