When did deposits become non-refundable?

10 minutes ago, wayfair816 said:

Hello! I have been booking and canceling royal caribbean cruises on occasion for years without fault, but went to cancel one today and was told my deposit I made was non refundable!  When did that change happen??

Don't forget you can still choose a "refundable" option during the booking process...... it'll cost a few extra $$ but might be worth it for you.

Edited by NateUpNorth

3 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Don't forget you can still choose a "refundable" option during the booking process...... it'll cost a few extra $$ but might be worth it for you.

Based on some light googling I did, I think since I booked a grand suite I wasn't given that option.

36 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

A couple of years ago.

The refundable option still exists, except for suites.

4 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You are correct. Suites can ONLY be booked with non refundable deposit 

AND guarantee cabins also are only non refundable

11 minutes ago, Deseo1578 said:

I did purchased a guarantee ocean view balcony through the site with refundable deposit . 

WhatsApp Image 2019-08-25 at 9.50.32 AM.jpeg

Interesting- here's the terms from the non refundable FAQ

8. Why was the decision made to enforce only non-refundable deposit fare options for Suite inventory (specifically Grand Suite or higher) and Guarantee categories?

In an effort to preserve our valued Suite inventory and to ensure availability for our committed guests, a non-refundable deposit will become the only option for those guests interested in reserving an upper Suite. This also holds true for guarantee categories, including W/WS, X/XB, XN, Y/YO, and Z/ZI, where lower lead fares are typically the best deal

Edited by molly361

6 minutes ago, molly361 said:

8. Why was the decision made to enforce only non-refundable deposit fare options for Suite inventory (specifically Grand Suite or higher) and Guarantee categories?

In an effort to preserve our valued Suite inventory and to ensure availability for our committed guests, a non-refundable deposit will become the only option for those guests interested in reserving an upper Suite. This also holds true for guarantee categories, including W/WS, X/XB, XN, Y/YO, and Z/ZI, where lower lead fares are typically the best deal

yes, this was the first time I saw refundable deposit on the site. I did called in, and re-asked if the deposit was refundable. And accordgin to them it was. 

1 hour ago, wayfair816 said:

Based on some light googling I did, I think since I booked a grand suite I wasn't given that option.

That’s precisely why suites are non refundable. People would gobble them up and then cancel just before final payment making them difficult to sell for full price. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

That’s precisely why suites are non refundable. People would gobble them up and then cancel just before final payment making them difficult to sell for full price. 

To be fair, the cruise I have booked is next August, so there is still a lot of time left.  Would be nice if there was an option for it to be refundable until a certain date.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wayfair816 said:

To be fair, the cruise I have booked is next August, so there is still a lot of time left.  Would be nice if there was an option for it to be refundable until a certain date.

That's exactly the way it used to be, fully refundable up to 90 days before the cruise. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, molly361 said:

I had this same conversation a few days ago.  I found that if you book a specific category guarantee (like a 6D guarantee) the    deposit  can be refundable.

You can even book suites and cat x, y and Z guarantees if you pay standard fare.  i.e no 50% off second guest.

This non-refundable vs. refundable deposit thing has been a huge discussion in my home.  Since we weren't going to be looking at any suites, we wound up booking the more expensive refundable cabins (3).  We have never sailed RCCL, and taking the risk to put down non-refundable deposits on three cabins for a cruise that is 10 months away is just not something that we were willing to commit to right now. 

As a non-RCCL cruiser, I wish their website didn't default to the non-refundable deposit. It makes it hard to get an accurate idea of actual prices.

10 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

As a non-RCCL cruiser, I wish their website didn't default to the non-refundable deposit. It makes it hard to get an accurate idea of actual prices.

Unfortunately, that is by design.  They used to show the refundable/non-refundable prices up front, but I guess the bean counters won that argument and buried that selection until after all passenger info was entered.  I think they are getting closer to making all bookings non-refundable (like they are for most of the non-US/Canadian bookings), but may be waiting for another cruise line to take the lead.

11 minutes ago, MississippiMom said:

This non-refundable vs. refundable deposit thing has been a huge discussion in my home.  Since we weren't going to be looking at any suites, we wound up booking the more expensive refundable cabins (3).  We have never sailed RCCL, and taking the risk to put down non-refundable deposits on three cabins for a cruise that is 10 months away is just not something that we were willing to commit to right now. 

You know you can complete a booking including your name, BD, etc and the software will give you the option and price of refundable deposit? Just don't complete the booking with credit card info...

6 hours ago, wayfair816 said:

Hello! I have been booking and canceling royal caribbean cruises on occasion for years without fault, but went to cancel one today and was told my deposit I made was non refundable!  When did that change happen??

In the U.K. and Ireland, I don’t think we ever had it any other way. You book, pay a deposit and lose it if you don’t travel. Consider yourself lucky to have a refundable rate.  

Edited by Billy Baltic
  • Like 2

I used a $200 FCC plus a $700 deposit last year to book a cruise for my wife and I but had to cancel when plans changed.  The $700 was deemed non refundable so I lost $200 and any FCC benefit and got $700 back as a FCC which I have to book soon.  I think it is kind of a rip off.  I've booked and cancelled before on Royal and other cruise lines and always come back.  So now once I use the FCC I won't be back to Royal.  There are too many other options out there.

• Like 1

Last week, we added a cabin to our 2020 family cruise. (2 cabins were already booked with refundable deposits last December.)

New cabin’s RCCL math:

Non-refundable deposit = $210

Cabin with refundable deposit = total cruise fare $260 more...

Guess under which scenario we booked the new cabin?

6 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I had this same conversation a few days ago.  I found that if you book a specific category guarantee (like a 6D guarantee) the    deposit  can be refundable.

You can even book suites and cat x, y and Z guarantees if you pay standard fare.  i.e no 50% off second guest.

however I did got my50% off, basically i paid the same amount as the non refundable deposit.