On the Breakaway- with rude people

Shoppie124

As everyone is aware, the Breakaway will be staying in Cozumel overnight and won’t get back to Miami until Tuesday due to Dorian.

I was in the Haven bar when the Captain made the announcement.  I could not believe how rude people are.  They were raising their voices and speaking condescending to concierge (Bowen).  The Haven team did a great job trying to assist people so they could change their flights and hotels.  They called southwest for me when I couldn’t make changes via the app.

Do people seriously think getting nasty is going to solve anything?

• Like 1

Short answer is yes, yes they do.  They are very, very important you know?  As an added aggravation Bowen, the Captain, and NCL are all responsible for laying the navigation track for Dorian and should be held accountable.  

• Like 9
  • Haha 4

Passengers are understandably anxious and stressed.  They may be residents of Florida and feel helpless as their home, auto, and loved ones are in the path of a hurricane.  They may be non-residents who are understandably concerned about how they will get home after the hurricane hits ... it will be a freaking mess for a few days afterward.  They may also be trying to deal with the possibility of returning to another port, which will screw up transportation.  It is human nature to freak out.

The flowing alcohol probably doesn't help either.

Edited by Son of a son of a ...
  • Like 3

I wonder how those who booked the "free or reduced air" with NCL will have to handle changing their flights?  Will NCL take care of it?  Will those passengers be on their own to change flights?  Will those passengers get assistance from NCL making flight changes?  Naturally I'm talking about non-haven passengers.

Along with those currently on the Breakaway, the folks scheduled to board on September 1st aren't going to be happy either.

7 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Passengers are understandably anxious and stressed.  They may be residents of Florida and feel helpless as their home, auto, and loved ones are in the path of a hurricane.  They may be non-residents who are understandably concerned about how they will get home after the hurricane hits ... it will be a freaking mess for a few days afterward.  They may also be trying to deal with the possibility of returning to another port, which will screw up transportation.  It is human nature to freak out.

That's no excuse. When they boarded the ship they knew there was a hurricane on the way AND it is right in the middle of hurricane season.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Yes..I can believe it.  And unfortunately this scenario will be repeated on many cruise ships over the next days. 

While I surely can understand the anxiety and stress of the passengers, common sense would dictate that NCL is not at fault for any of this.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

sorry don't by that for one second> There are a lot of people who think the world revolves around them. Being rude is never called for. we just went through a storm that left many of us out of power for 4 days. All I saw was people helping each other with the exception of a couple of very RUDE people at the post office. People need to have humility and patients when these things happen, not let out their frustrations. I remember missing a very important port on a Jewel cruise and witnessed so much rudeness I couldn't believe it.  

• Like 8

21 minutes ago, Oakman58 said:

I wonder how those who booked the "free or reduced air" with NCL will have to handle changing their flights?  Will NCL take care of it?  Will those passengers be on their own to change flights?  Will those passengers get assistance from NCL making flight changes?  Naturally I'm talking about non-haven passengers.

Along with those currently on the Breakaway, the folks scheduled to board on September 1st aren't going to be happy either.

I see this behavior everyday in just about every situation.  The area I live in has a household income almost twice the average for the state.  People blow up at the littlest things, such as a $2.00 burger that someone forgets to put lettuce on, or having to wait in a line of more than two people at Publix, or (God forbid) a traffic jam.  As a former NYer, I though it was just a NY/NJ thing, but now I know the "entitled" people live everywhere.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Shoppie124 said:

As everyone is aware, the Breakaway will be staying in Cozumel overnight and won’t get back to Miami until Tuesday due to Dorian.

I was in the Haven bar when the Captain made the announcement.  I could not believe how rude people are.  They were raising their voices and speaking condescending to concierge (Bowen).  The Haven team did a great job trying to assist people so they could change their flights and hotels.  They called southwest for me when I couldn’t make changes via the app.

Do people seriously think getting nasty is going to solve anything?

When the unexpected happens, people will often do things that are more likely to make them feel better as opposed to, as you put it, solving anything.

As you have observed, some people are venting their frustrations by raising their voices and taking out their frustrations on the concierge. You, on the other hand, are dealing with it by bringing their behavior to light in a public internet forum.

Neither will solve anything, however, in both cases the people involved are just expressing their feelings through their behavior.

• Like 5

I get the concern of people wanting to get home.  The biggest frustration is the lack of concrete information in a very dynamic situation.  You can't make concrete plans or arrangements until the direction and impact of the storm is known.  That said, it is a situation that they can not control and waiting out a storm on a cruise ship in Cozumel or on smooth seas seems a lot better than being a resident in the hurricane's path, or a hotel guest whose flight out was just cancelled.  Taking it out on staff or others is counter productive.

I would be interested in hearing what NCL is providing for non Haven guests.  Free internet and/or shore calls to make alternate arrangements would be a good start.

There’s an airport in Cozumel. All those babies in the Haven being nasty about the change in the itinerary can get off and book a flight home. Nothing is stopping them. Open up your wallets and you can get to where you need to be...stop being rude as****es.

• Like 1

I have often felt that in times of stress two kinds of people emerge. Those who accept with grace

what is happening and adapt( plus also help others) and those acting like you describe.

The other day I saw someone be sarcastic and rude to a waitress because the restaurant ran

out of hamburger buns and he had to eat his hamburger on two pieces of bread. I guess he would

be one of those ones like you describe. It just makes it unpleasant for everyone around them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oakman58 said:

1 hour ago, davy jones said:

I would be interested in hearing what NCL is providing for non Haven guests.  Free internet and/or shore calls to make alternate arrangements would be a good start.

Wondering if anyone knows this information?

1 hour ago, Peachypooh said:

I have often felt that in times of stress two kinds of people emerge. Those who accept with grace

what is happening and adapt( plus also help others) and those acting like you describe.

The other day I saw someone be sarcastic and rude to a waitress because the restaurant ran

out of hamburger buns and he had to eat his hamburger on two pieces of bread. I guess he would

be one of those ones like you describe. It just makes it unpleasant for everyone around them.

Way off topic ...

I would be a little bent if my waitress brought me a burger with no bun sub sliced white bread.  First at the restaurant for still selling burgers when there are no buns left and second at the waitress for not pushing back on the cook.  That waitress is being tipped to be my advocate in that kitchen, not to run a visibly half-arsed meal to my table.

Now, where the hell is my free dessert?!  😡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DaCruiseBug said:

There’s an airport in Cozumel. All those babies in the Haven being nasty about the change in the itinerary can get off and book a flight home. Nothing is stopping them. Open up your wallets and you can get to where you need to be...stop being rude as****es.

That is, of course, if those aren't the very people who came here for advice and were told "Don't worry about it, it is a closed loop cruise...you don't need a passport just take a birth certificate!"

No passport means you have no choice but to stay with the ship.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2