On the Breakaway- with rude people

Shoppie124

On 8/30/2019 at 12:44 PM, Shoppie124 said:

As everyone is aware, the Breakaway will be staying in Cozumel overnight and won’t get back to Miami until Tuesday due to Dorian.

I was in the Haven bar when the Captain made the announcement.  I could not believe how rude people are.  They were raising their voices and speaking condescending to concierge (Bowen).  The Haven team did a great job trying to assist people so they could change their flights and hotels.  They called southwest for me when I couldn’t make changes via the app.

Do people seriously think getting nasty is going to solve anything?

How can anyone be rude to Bowen he is a charming man and excellent concierge

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ChicaChic said:

Exactly!  I live close to Galveston.  I would never book a cruise in hurricane season.  I want to be able to secure my house if one should hit my area.  During hurricane Ike I prepared around my house and yard as well as I could and then evacuated with my pets.  The ships coming back to Galveston went  to another port.  As for the  people whose cars were in the parking lots around the cruise terminal found their cars completely flooded.  

Hurricane Season is June - November.  That is a 6 month chunk out of the year.  Not everyone has the flexibility to schedule outside that 6 month window.  Not booking a vacation due to the "possibility" of a Hurricane is absurd.  Who wants to sit around waiting for a Hurricane that may/may not happen in those 6 months?  However, if you do book...be prepared based on historical weather data and don't act like your trip "was ruined" because your ship was diverted.   JMO.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Hurricane Season is June - November.  That is a 6 month chunk out of the year.  Not everyone has the flexibility to schedule outside that 6 month window.  Not booking a vacation due to the "possibility" of a Hurricane is absurd.  Who wants to sit around waiting for a Hurricane that may/may not happen in those 6 months?  However, if you do book...be prepared based on historical weather data and don't act like your trip "was ruined" because your ship was diverted.   JMO.

Of course you have a point but remember, even though the season is 6 months, most real problem storms hit from very late in Aug to about the second week of Oct. So I have to agree with those who wonder why anyone would plan on a cruise in Sept or late Aug and then act like idiots if Mother Nature does not cooperate. 

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

True its 6 months but really active Aug, Sept, Oct.  Peak hurricane season is Sept 1 and Dorian is proving that.  This time of year there is ALWAYS a storm brewing out there.  Not always true for June, July, and November.  Booking a Caribbean cruise the first week of September is definitely risky.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

True its 6 months but really active Aug, Sept, Oct.  Peak hurricane season is Sept 1 and Dorian is proving that.  This time of year there is ALWAYS a storm brewing out there.  Not always true for June, July, and November.  Booking a Caribbean cruise the first week of September is definitely risky.

Typically The hurricanes tthat have hit the Houston-Galveston area and I just don't plan a cruise at that time.  I would not want to plan a cruise at that time after what we experienced afterwards.  I still have 10 months in which I can plan.  But that's just me.  I just never want to go through all that again

6 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

How is the crew reacting to all this negativity from the passengers? If I had to guess most of them

are being polite but perhaps a few are letting it really bother them. And I wouldn't blame them.

You can tell they are frustrated but they are keeping it together!  I give the crew all the props for a great job!

• Like 3

The more I read about people being unruly, the more I shake my head. I understand frustration from people onboard the ship already,  but I don't condone rudeness. But the anger expressed by people who are still at home is a bit much. Its a hurricane. No one really needs to tell you whether or not to fly to Miami today or tomorrow to get on the ship. (From today through Wednesday). Even if the hurricane passes the area  by Tuesday, there will be mess to clean up. A cruise ship isnt always top priority right after a hurricane.  

When there is a hurricane on the horizon, I dont think docking luxury cruise vessels is the top priorty for ports. They have a lot of other vessels to consider as well. Plus, they have needs related to emergeny preparedness and response for the areas that they serve. It amazes me that people dont realize that everything is not that simple when rerouting lots of different types of vessels in the midst of an emergency.  And others can just stay home and not worry about getting stuck Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday in Miami.  I understand that it took a lot to plan and pay for a cruise and all the related travel needs like airfare, hotel, time off from work, etc.  I have been there. I had a "once in a lifetime" cruise to Egypt set up a few years ago. But, when the situation was escalating there, I made a decision that I wasnt taking the risk so I decided to cancel right before the cruise. It was all worked out with the cruise line, my travel insurance, and even the airline. I had another situation with travel to Mexico when there was a health issue going on there. Although all my travel arrangements were booked and paid for, I wasnt waiting for someone to tell me to not go. I made the decision that i wasnt ok with the risk. Right before I started making my calls to cancel, the airline made an announcement about not flying there and other travel industry announcements followed.  I got my money back when it got back to me. And I wasnt waiting for anyone to guarante me a 100% refund before I decided what to do about the trip.  As people, we arent always powerless. Make decisons that keep you safe and not stranded. I value my hard earned money, but my safety is higher priority. I dont need NCL to tell me if the cruise is cancelled or not. I would not be going to Miami if I didnt have a plan.  Florida doesnt need one more trapped tourist to try to take care of when there is a hurricane. 

I dont mean for this post to be ugly to anyone "stranded" on the ship right now or anyone who hasnt seen the news the past two days. Hahaha. Just food for thought.

If i was someone who chose to fly to Miami today for a Sunday or Monday sailing, hopefully I left home realizing that I might not make it on the ship because no one  can guarantee anything during the midst of a weather emergency. So, I would leave home with plans for how I can return home if necessary and plans for how to spend a few days in Miami if necessary. Just my thoughts. Flexibility and preparedness reduces anger and stress. A credit card helps also, lol. 

• Like 2

On 8/30/2019 at 10:47 PM, Shoppie124 said:

Update, all passengers are aboard.  We were supposed to leave an hour ago...  no further news from the captain 

I've been searching the boards trying to find out if everyone made it back on board.  We just returned yesterday from 9 days in Cozumel.  There were several more ships in later in the week because of altered schedules.  On Friday the Breakaway was docked at Punta Langosta in town. We were having dinner on the square Friday evening and some officers from the ship came through asking if anyone was from the ship.  There were still two groups of passengers and two crew members that were not back on board.  They said that on Friday morning passengers were told that they would be in Cozumel until Sunday, but the decision had been made to go ahead and try to get into Miami ahead of the storm to offload the current passengers and pick up those for the next sailing.  They were trying to get everyone back on board.  They said they could leave as late as 4am and make it back to Miami, but the ship was sitting there burning fuel so they wanted to go ahead and pull out.  It was about 9pm at that time.  We took the officers to several bars in the area that Americans/cruisers like to visit but didn't find them.  The concern was that they had gone over to Playa Del Carmin on the ferry, since they thought they had two nights to kill.  The officer said that if they are not back on board when the capitan decides to sail, that they would go into their rooms, pack all of their things and leave them with the port agent, who would then help them get home.  I was frank with the guy and told him if I had been told I had two nights to kill, and then the ship sailed early without me, I would be all kinds of pi$$ed off.  What if those parties don't have passports? If they can't fly home will they wait until another NCL ship can pick them up?  Would NCL put them up in Cozumel?  I also wondered how many passengers they would have for the next sailing, as people from Florida may want to stay home with their families during a storm, and people coming into Miami may have a difficult time getting in, or may be hesitant to fly into the potential path of a storm.  Anyway, I'm glad that everyone made it back on board before the ship sailed.  Hindsite being what it is, they are probaby wishing the ship had stayed in Cozumel.  I hope everyone is able to enjoy the extra time on board and stress levels don't rise too much.

On 8/30/2019 at 2:06 PM, nascarcruiser said:

Because that's the only time some people can travel 

Fine.  Then travel  somewhere  else!  Just because  hurricane  season is the "only"  time some people  can travel

does not mean  traveling to the Caribbean during  hurricane season  is a  good idea!   Cruise  somewhere else!

Like where there are no  hurricanes!

One  would think that would be obvious.   Sort of like saying  "Let's  fly to Hong Kong  tomorrow for vacation when the airport  is  overrun with  protesters."  Then  things turn to crap and people wonder why.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

Fine.  Then travel  somewhere  else!  Just because  hurricane  season is the "only"  time some people  can travel

does not mean  traveling to the Caribbean during  hurricane season  is a  good idea!   Cruise  somewhere else!

Like where there are no  hurricanes!

One  would think that would be obvious.   Sort of like saying  "Let's  fly to Hong Kong  tomorrow for vacation when the airport  is  overrun with  protesters."  Then  things turn to crap and people wonder why.

You do know the cruise industry and the Caribbean hospitality industry would collapse if everyone avoided cruising during the hurricane season.  

Edited by Son of a son of a ...
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

You do know the cruise industry and the Caribbean hospitality industry would collapse if everyone avoided cruising during the hurricane season.  

No.  The  cruise  industry will not collapse.  This post proves it. T here will be enough cruisers to tempt  fate.  But myself and those with an ounce of common sense do not  have to cruise in the heart of hurricane season  and then complain  when their plans go  bad.

12 minutes ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

No.  The  cruise  industry will not collapse.  This post proves it. T here will be enough cruisers to tempt  fate.  But myself and those with an ounce of common sense do not  have to cruise in the heart of hurricane season  and then complain  when their plans go  bad.

Sure the chances of it happening are worse during hurricane season.  But the complaint is with the cruise line and the lack of communication.  Hurricanes do happen outside of hurricane season. 

The real truth is that you can not expect the cruiseline to give you anything more than is outlined in the fine print on your cruise contract..this goes for anyone making the choice to cruise at any time.  But when you decide to make the choice in the future, knowing how the cruiselines handle these situations can help you make the best decision.

On 8/31/2019 at 3:36 PM, OceanBlueWaters said:

And don’t blame the cruise line when things totally out of their control impact cruise itineraries.