Back to Princess

crusin'k

Hubby & I are back to Princess after an 8 year absence.  And we're really back.  Doing a b2b2b on Emerald mid-Jan - mid-March, 2020 (58 days).  Have a few ? since we've been gone from Princess so long....

How "dressy" do we get for formal/chic nights?  Don't want to dredge up pros & cons of same.  We don't mind dressing up.  Just don't want to bring to many fancy duds if not needed.  How many dressy nights would you estimate we might have (first & last segments are 15 nights each, middle segment 28 days)?

We plan on doing our laundry self-service so we can pack a little lighter.  Am I correct that we cannot do laundry on the turn around/embarkation days?

Any other useful info would be appreciated!  Thanks

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

How "dressy" do we get for formal/chic nights?  Don't want to dredge up pros & cons of same.  We don't mind dressing up.  Just don't want to bring to many fancy duds if not needed.  How many dressy nights would you estimate we might have (first & last segments are 15 nights each, middle segment 28 days)?

We plan on doing our laundry self-service so we can pack a little lighter.  Am I correct that we cannot do laundry on the turn around/embarkation days?

Welcome back! Come on in, the water's fine.

"Smart Casual" is all you NEED to be admitted to the MDR, even on formal nights. The written policy recommends more, but enforcement is not an issue. Therefore, you will be well within the norm with the SC. 

I'm not aware of a laundry restriction on turn around, etc. Maybe an environmental issue?

21 minutes ago, crusin'k said:

Hubby & I are back to Princess after an 8 year absence.  And we're really back.  Doing a b2b2b on Emerald mid-Jan - mid-March, 2020 (58 days).  Have a few ? since we've been gone from Princess so long....

Formal Evenings

3 each on the Panama Canal segments, 4 on the South Pacific.

Formal Night dress. Men admitted to the DR with long pants and sport shirt. You probably will see lots of Hawaiian shirts. When we were on the Emerald this past February/March they were not allowing shorts in the DR with the exception of boarding days and last evenings. I did see some turned away. Women almost always seem to dress without any issues, so whatever you think. Many men will be in jacket and tie or jacket with no tie. Not very many in tux. Specialty restaurants are smart casual every evening.

I don't think there are any restrictions for laundry on turn around days in San Pedro. Remember that each time you have a turn around in San Pedro you will be required, no exceptions, to go through immigration. Probably will not be time to do laundry until you return back on board. In San Pedro you actually will leave the ship as a group, be guided through immigration, outside, and then back into the terminal to re-board. You will receive instructions in your cabin. Follow them exactly.

We were on the Emerald this past winter for 37 days. We very much liked how the ship was run, the staff, and the activities. If you get "Duke" as your CD he is a good one.

• Like 1

Competing cruiseline?

OP: there will be numerous “formal” nights, but as others have stated in one way or another, as long as you have clothing on you will be fine. If the clothing is minimal in content, you will get a few “looks” 👀

Look good and you will be fine. 

In answer to the OP's question about "formal nights":  

1-4 says cruise   0 formal nights

5-6 days   1 formal night

7-13 days 2 formal nights

14-20 days 3 formal nights

21-28 days 4 formal nights

Therefore it depends on how long each of your b2b2b2b cruises actually are.

"Formal" for men goes from tux, suit w/tie, suit w/o tie, sport coat with/without tie, long sleeved shirt and khaki pants with/without tie.  Women can wear about anything that looks like "formal" so I was told by a maitre'd.   Footwear for men dress shoes, athletic shoes and sandals.  Princess does not enforce their so called standards.  The "formal" night is only in the MDR and not specialty venues.  

First and last night in the MDR is anything that is decent including shorts etc.

The only shutdown of laundry that I have heard about is in AK ports.  There may be other ports that do not allow the discharge to be dumped into the port.  

7 hours ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

"Smart Casual" is all you NEED to be admitted to the MDR, even on formal nights. The written policy recommends more, but enforcement is not an issue. Therefore, you will be well within the norm with the SC. 

My experience is that although smart casual is allowed on formal evenings, men without at least a tie or a jacket will be in the minority.

DH & I pack one basic outfit for formal night. Both are lightweight and easy to squeeze into a suitcase.

We don't worry that someone will think less of us because we wear the same clothes on all the formal nights. Who cares!?

Pack your own laundry stuff. The wash/dry sheets (found on Amazon) are really easy to pack. Laundry room prices are currently $3.00 to wash or dry, $1.50 for detergent or softener. Tokens available in the laundry room or at pax services and are charged to your account.

While males without a jacket are in the minority it appears that their numbers are increasing.   I am seeing less tux these days and amazingly enough more in suits/jackets sans tie.  I was on the CB last fall and they were allowing shorts in the MDR for dinner on normal nights and jeans on formal nights.  I have been wearing a guayabera shirt and dockers for some time now on formal night a trend that I have seen others doing. 

• Like 2

B2Bs not too many fellow cruisers will be doing same and will not know you are repeating "outfits".  Accessories are a fun way to change out basic outfits.  --We now only take one large suitcase per person & a smallish carryon for the long cruises on Princess.  Long gone are the days of 2 suitcases for 7 days!

On 9/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, crusin'k said:

Thank you, everyone.  Your info has been very useful.  We will continue to pack suit & tie for hubby, fancy dress for myself.

Why not let him pack for himself.

You might be surprised. ☺️

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, crusin'k said:

Thank you, everyone.  Your info has been very useful.  We will continue to pack suit & tie for hubby, fancy dress for myself.

You can also rent a jacket or tux.  On one of our NYE cruises hubby rented a tux with two jackets and it was fairly reasonable, a lot better than having to pack it.  Just get measurements taken at a place like Men's Warehouse to forward to them.