New to Princess (Regal) - Questions

Janie001

We have cruised several other lines (Celebrity, RC, NCL and Carnival) but this will be our first cruise on Princess and I have a few questions.  We will be on the Regal Princess.

• Does the Regal have fridges in the room to store wine brought on board?
  • When I first booked the cruise there was an on-board experience for a balcony dinner in the planner.  It no longer shows up - does that mean it isn't done anymore or could it be that it is sold out?
  • Can you bring a glass of wine to dinner in the MDR from your stateroom?
  • If you bring a bottle of wine to the MDR that you have paid corkage on, will the staff keep it for you if it is not finished?
  • We are hit and miss as to whether or not we buy a drink package on a cruise.  The Princess price seems very high and I am certain we would not break even on it at the price I see it listed for.  Does it ever go on sale?
  • Are there any other packages that they sell on the boat that are not listed? For example, buy 3 or 5  or more bottle of wines for a special price? 
  • I booked this cruise as one 15 day cruise but it is actually a 5 day and a 10 day cruise.  On the turnover day would we be able to leave the ship to do sightseeing or would we have to be processed a special way at a certain time?
  • We are doing anytime dining - should we (or can we) reserve times in advance or is it truly anytime?  

Thank you!

Yes the Regal does have a fridge that you can put your wine in.  Get a couple of glasses from the bar.  Some have walked into the dinning with their wine.  There will be a sale for free drink packages, but like all sales compare the price to your current price.  They will store your bottle of wine in the dinning if you paid the corkage.  On turnover day you will be able to leave the ship and you can bring 2 more bottles of wine on.  It is truly anytime dinning but there is a number you can call to reserve if you wish.

I think you will enjoy the Regal and Princess.

3 minutes ago, janina said:

Yes the Regal does have a fridge that you can put your wine in.  Get a couple of glasses from the bar.  Some have walked into the dinning with their wine.  There will be a sale for free drink packages, but like all sales compare the price to your current price.  They will store your bottle of wine in the dinning if you paid the corkage.  On turnover day you will be able to leave the ship and you can bring 2 more bottles of wine on.  It is truly anytime dinning but there is a number you can call to reserve if you wish.

Thank you for the response.  I am looking forward to trying a new line!

1 hour ago, Janie001 said:

We have cruised several other lines (Celebrity, RC, NCL and Carnival) but this will be our first cruise on Princess and I have a few questions.  We will be on the Regal Princess.

• Does the Regal have fridges in the room to store wine brought on board?
  • When I first booked the cruise there was an on-board experience for a balcony dinner in the planner.  It no longer shows up - does that mean it isn't done anymore or could it be that it is sold out?
  • I looked at one of my future bookings. I don't see the balcony dinner. I would call Princess and see if you can order it. If not call room service once on board.
  • Can you bring a glass of wine to dinner in the MDR from your stateroom?
  • If you bring a bottle of wine to the MDR that you have paid corkage on, will the staff keep it for you if it is not finished?
  • We are hit and miss as to whether or not we buy a drink package on a cruise.  The Princess price seems very high and I am certain we would not break even on it at the price I see it listed for.  Does it ever go on sale?
  • It takes between alcoholic 6 and 7 drinks per day every day to break even. If you prefer beer then the number increases. The non alcoholic drinks are a throw in. I have never seen the beverage package on sale. Also same price on board or pre-purchase. This past July there was the Sip&Sail promo that included the beverage package, but his probably will not be back until next year. 
  • Are there any other packages that they sell on the boat that are not listed? For example, buy 3 or 5  or more bottle of wines for a special price?
  • There are 6 for 5 beer packages both pre-purchase and on board. You can bring on as much non-alcoholic beverage as you like. No limits or restrictions. 
  • I booked this cruise as one 15 day cruise but it is actually a 5 day and a 10 day cruise.  On the turnover day would we be able to leave the ship to do sightseeing or would we have to be processed a special way at a certain time?
  • This has two answers. If your turnaround is in the U.S. you will be able to leave the ship at any time starting around 7am and up to the final disembarkation call around 9:30am or so. Take you medallions, passport and intransit cards with you. You will have to pass through immigration. You can then reboard any time after general boarding has begun. You will have to go through security. If you do not plan on going ashore then you will still be required to go through immigration. There will be detailed instructions in your cabin. Read and follow them exactly.
  • If your turn around is not in the U.S. then it's just like any other port day.
  • We are doing anytime dining - should we (or can we) reserve times in advance or is it truly anytime?
  • You can not reserve times in advance. On most cruises you can call the dining line, opens 8am, and make a reservation for that evening. Reservation times are set times usually like 5:15/5:30, 7:15/7:30. Otherwise just walk in. Each voyage has it's own peak times in ATD. 

Thank you!

See above

Although you can store bottles of wine in your room fridge, it is a small bar fridge, so depending on how many bottles you bring on board, don't expect them to all fit.  There is also an ice bucket in there that Stewart will fill with ice each day.  We don't use this feature, so if you are not interested, just remove the ice bucket and more room for other stuff.  I keep the open bottles in the fridge and anything else that will fit and just add bottles as able (if a longer cruise).  Also, I turn down the temp on the fridge to the minimum so the wine doesn't get ice cold like a beer.  Then I get it out a bit before heading down to dinner so it has a chance to warm up a bit.  Just check how your cabin fridge is operating temp wise.  

Although you can have the dining staff store your own wine, I rarely if ever do this as I might be dining elsewhere the next night and it is a PITA waiting while someone tracks it down.  Also, I may bring a different wine the next night than we just had.  Also, if I want some during the day, or prior to dinner, then the bottles are there for me.  Just my preference is all.

Some people do pour a glass and take to the DR to avoid paying corkage.  It works, but how large a glass do you have?  What if you want more?  Going to trek back to the cabin for a refill?  I suppose you could take a highball of wine and pour into wine glasses from that.  Next thing will be folks filling empty water bottles and taking them in.  Just joking around.

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, skynight said:

See above

If your turnaround is in the U.S. you will be able to leave the ship at any time starting around 7am and up to the final disembarkation call around 9:30am or so. Take you medallions, passport and intransit cards with you. 

That is very helpful info, thank you.  Our turnaround is in the US.  Out of curiosity what is an "intransit" card? Is that something that will be given to us since it is a back to back cruise?

2 hours ago, Janie001 said:

Are there any other packages that they sell on the boat that are not listed? For example, buy 3 or 5  or more bottle of wines for a special price?

Generally, wine packages are offered on cruises.  But, not on a 5-nighter.  You will probably see it on the 10-nighter. 

That said, we don't drink enough wine to use up the minimum of 7 bottles if on a shorter cruise.  We generally use about 1/2 bottle per meal, so about 6 bottles will cover us for a 10-nighter.  You may not see it offered on a 7-night cruise.  If you drink more there are packages with more than 7 bottles.  IIRC, you pay about $31 per bottle and can order any bottle up to $45 off the menu.  If you order something more expensive, you pay the difference over $45.  In all cases (packages or by the bottle), an 18% gratuity applies as with all bar orders.

My suggestion is to talk to the Head Waiter for your DR section on night one.  Explain that you are sailing B2B for 15 nights and you are interested in the wine package.  See if you cannot buy it then.  You would probably be able to find value in that way with Princess offering if not bringing on your own wine.  Personally, I would have no problem using up the minimum 7 bottles in 15-nights.  It would be not quite enough.  And you can get more.

Edited by steelers36

We are hit and miss as to whether or not we buy a drink package on a cruise.  The Princess price seems very high and I am certain we would not break even on it at the price I see it listed for.  Does it ever go on sale?

Technically, it already is on sale based on the cost of ordering the drinks and paying per drink.  Princess does have a Sip&Sail promotion in the early summer for about a month on future cruise bookings.  However, the cruise fare is increased quite a bit so you don't really get the package for free.  You have to do some math on the offer and understanding how many drinks (alcohol and non-) you will consume per day.

5 minutes ago, steelers36 said:

You did not mention length of cruise, but generally there are wine packages sold on board (inquire night 1).  That said, we don't drink enough wine to use up the minimum of 7 bottles if on a shorter cruise.  We generally use about 1/2 bottle per meal, so about 6 bottles will cover us for a 10-nighter.  You may not see it offered on a 7-night cruise.  If you drink more there are packages with more than 7 bottles.  IIRC, you pay about $31 per bottle and can order any bottle up to $45 off the menu.  If you order something more expensive, you pay the difference over $45.  In all cases (packages or by the bottle), an 18% gratuity applies as with all bar orders.

I purchased it as a 15 day cruise but it is two legs of 5 and 10 (which I didn't realize until well after I had booked).  I will check into what is offered on night one of each leg.

Just now, Janie001 said:

I purchased it as a 15 day cruise but it is two legs of 5 and 10 (which I didn't realize until well after I had booked).  I will check into what is offered on night one of each leg.

Sorry, please re-read my post as I corrected it and added more info. 

• Like 1

On two different Princess cruises I have purchase three-bottle packages.  It seems to me that the price was $99, and you don't get to pick the wines.  It is a package.  Don't be frightened by the price.  These were all exceptional wines and the total price was substantially less than the sum of the wine list prices.  The wines are delivered to your cabin.  If you take a bottle (or two or three) to a restaurant or dining room, you will not be charged a corkage fee.  I really don't know if these packages are offered on every cruise.  Usually, on embarkation day, there is a table set up in the elevator lobby near the buffet where the various drinks packages are sold.  Typically, I bring a stash of my own wine on board, and, so, I haven't looked for this package in several years.

Have a great cruise.

2 hours ago, skynight said:
  • I looked at one of my future bookings. I don't see the balcony dinner. I would call Princess and see if you can order it. If not call room service once on board.

Ultimate Balcony Dinner shows up in my planner.  And this showed up in a general search:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/specialty-restaurants/ultimatebalconydining.html

So I suppose it is possible that if the option does not appear for a particular cruise, it could be sold out.

Edited by JimmyVWine

1 hour ago, steelers36 said:

Technically, it already is on sale based on the cost of ordering the drinks and paying per drink.  Princess does have a Sip&Sail promotion in the early summer for about a month on future cruise bookings.  However, the cruise fare is increased quite a bit so you don't really get the package for free.  You have to do some math on the offer and understanding how many drinks (alcohol and non-) you will consume per day.

Just to clarify for the OP and any other potential new passengers on Princess:  The cruise fare is not always increased to cover Sip and Sail.  On our 4 cruises booked under Sip and Sail, one went down in price, 2 stayed the same, and the fourth increased but even that increase was about only half the amount we would have paid for the beverage package separately which we think made it a reasonable price for up to 15 alcoholic drinks (which we never ever get to) plus unlimited special coffees, sodas and bottled water.  I do agree that in any case doing the math is important! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, janina said:

We were on the Regal in July-Aug. Dine line would not take reservations in anytime dining. They did for the first 2 nights, but the remaining 9 nights they would not.

2 hours ago, XBGuy said:

On two different Princess cruises I have purchase three-bottle packages.  It seems to me that the price was $99, and you don't get to pick the wines.  It is a package.  Don't be frightened by the price.  These were all exceptional wines and the total price was substantially less than the sum of the wine list prices.  The wines are delivered to your cabin.  If you take a bottle (or two or three) to a restaurant or dining room, you will not be charged a corkage fee.  I really don't know if these packages are offered on every cruise.  Usually, on embarkation day, there is a table set up in the elevator lobby near the buffet where the various drinks packages are sold.  Typically, I bring a stash of my own wine on board, and, so, I haven't looked for this package in several years.

Have a great cruise.

This is what I was hoping there would be.  I will keep my eyes out for offerings.  Thank you.

12 hours ago, Janie001 said:

That is very helpful info, thank you.  Our turnaround is in the US.  Out of curiosity what is an "intransit" card? Is that something that will be given to us since it is a back to back cruise?

This card lets customs know that you do not need to turn in a customs form that day and when you want to reboard the ship, you can just go through security and bypass the check-in lines.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Have a great cruise.

I have never seen this on any of our cruises.

Please tell us more?

What ships / destinations was this?

15 hours ago, Janie001 said:

If your turnaround is in the U.S. you will be able to leave the ship at any time starting around 7am and up to the final disembarkation call around 9:30am or so. Take you medallions, passport and intransit cards with you. 

Passenger intransit cards will be delivered to your cabin along with printed instructions. Fully read the instructions so you understand the process on that day. The intransit card serves a few purposes.

It allows you to exit the ship anytime during the disembarkation process.

It shows immigration that you are an intransit passenger

Most of the time it allows you to re-board without waiting in line, when there are lines.

Remember you must also have your passports and medallions with you.

• Thanks 1

OP: you didn't ask, but here are a couple of thoughts that are MY favorites for Princess:

1) if you enjoy your cruise and want to go on Princess again...buy at least one Future Cruise Deposit per person. Fully refundable if not used within 2 years, get OBC when used (for 15 days = $75 or $100 depending on cabin), $100 is your full deposit for the next cruise. A great deal. Too late for this one, but...

2) if anyone in your party is a veteran or active military, send in the required documentation and get OBC. For your cruise that would be $250!! Google is your friend for the required proof.

3) Carnival shareholder? OBC if you are. Carnival stock is less than $45 right now. A great time to buy, if you can afford 100 shares.

6 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

I have never seen this on any of our cruises.

Please tell us more?

What ships / destinations was this?

I'm going from memory here.  The more recent occasion was in 2017 on a 10-day San Francisco-Alaska round trip on the Grand Princess.  I am quite sure about that one.  The first one was on a 14-day Los Angeles-Hawaii round trip.  I've taken that itinerary twice, and both of them were a while back.  I'm pretty sure it was on the Golden Princess in 2013.

Like I mentioned previously, I would suggest that on embarkation day, you find that table where they are selling the various drinks packages and ask if it is being offered.  Now that I think of it, though, the first time I bought the 3-pack, it was offered at the Maitre d' wine tasting event on one of the sea days.

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: you didn't ask, but here are a couple of thoughts that are MY favorites for Princess:

1) if you enjoy your cruise and want to go on Princess again...buy at least one Future Cruise Deposit per person. Fully refundable if not used within 2 years, get OBC when used (for 15 days = $75 or $100 depending on cabin), $100 is your full deposit for the next cruise. A great deal. Too late for this one, but...

2) if anyone in your party is a veteran or active military, send in the required documentation and get OBC. For your cruise that would be $250!! Google is your friend for the required proof.

3) Carnival shareholder? OBC if you are. Carnival stock is less than $45 right now. A great time to buy, if you can afford 100 shares.

Good to know.  Being fully refundable within 2 years makes that very attractive.  We are not veterans/military but I do own Carnival stock so I have taken advantage of that OBC.  This is the first long cruise we have taken so the $250 OBC was a very nice perk!