No NFL on Jewel. Why

jskinsd

43 minutes ago, casofilia said:

I think the reason is that the Sports channel that NCL pay for is "SPORTS 24" which is Europe based.  They do show hockey though.

Have you ever watched the NFL on any of your many cruises.  Football is not hockey.  I seem to recall watching last year on this ship. 

Over the past 15 years we have been on cruises during the NFL playoffs at LEAST 12 times.  Mostly on HAL (They broadcast all the games in their sports bars) but once on Cruise & Maritime Voyages (Nothing but Cricket)  and a couple times on Star Clippers.  (Nothing like watching the superbowl on a 13" TV with 40 of your closest friends!) 

Just glad our NCL cruise this spring starts on February 11!

17 hours ago, jskinsd said:

I am on the Jewel now and there was no Thursday Night football.  Is this happening on all ships.   We are in Alaska cruising American ports and cannot get American football. What is going on.  Seem to remember watching football last season on this ship. 

If they show football at all except for playoff games they will show it at one of the sports bars or O'Sheehan's usually. The cruise lines contract with certain networks so those are what the only available channels. Usually sports are pretty much limited to international sports like Soccer. It is always a disappointment but something we have to live with. We will have to miss a couple of super important (to us) college games on our Oct cruise. But it was that or not cruising at all. Over the long run, I doubt missing one game or two will kill us. It might make us cry a bit.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Shellbelle28 said:

I've never been able to quite figure out the availability of NFL on Norwegian.  A few years back when we boarded in Seattle on a Sunday husband wanted to catch the Seahawks on TV somewhere. We could see the stadium from the room, but none of the ship's bars could tune anything but soccer. Even the cruise director tried. Their satellite feed is definitely international and not just US focused. Later on they did have a different NFL game though. 

We had the same thing on Holland America: the bars were showing European basketball of all things and yes, soccer, but no American sports. I don't remember about other lines.. So, unless things have changed only contracting with certain networks isn't just NCL:oh I do remember not getting games we wanted on Princess as well. 

2 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

To be honest, if I walk into a bar and there are a bunch of shouting people with caps on drinking beer and eating chicken wings with the TV volume turned up to 12 I am turning around and walking straight out again.

Good for you.   That is why we are different and I can do what I want to do. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Good for you.   That is why we are different and I can do what I want to do. 

I agree. I am not disparaging you in any way. I hope you can find a cruise where you can watch lots of football and have a great time. I truly mean that. 

I want a cruise where I can cook for myself, and someone else does the dishes. That would be the bomb.

Good luck.

On the Jewel now for the first Sunday of NFL football.  Found out that the demographics of this ship didn't warrant a contract for football.   Seems other NCL ships can watch football because those ships are better but not this ship.   Sorry future Jewel cruisers.  Thanks again Del Rio an your penny pinching ways

This is not Del Rio fault nor the ship demographic fault. This is a problem with the satellite feed. If the ship tv system can not pick up a good signal for the game, then unfortunate nothing be shown.

The Jewel is an older ship and does not have the newest and greatest tv system the newer ships have.

Edited by shof515

11 minutes ago, shof515 said:

This is not Del Rio fault nor the ship demographic fault. This is a problem with the satellite feed. If the ship tv system can not pick up a good signal for the game, then unfortunate nothing be shown.

The Jewel is an older ship and does not have the newest and greatest tv system the newer ships have.

That's ridiculous. The Jewel's systems are just fine. They do not need the "newest and greatest tv system" to watch football. The Jewel has been showing football since she left the shipyard in 2005. The ship pulls down a football game via satellite the same way it pulls down an old episode of Law and Order or a live broadcast of CNN.

This is a licensing fee issue and nothing more.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Outerdog said:

That's ridiculous. The Jewel's systems are just fine. They do not need the "newest and greatest tv system" to watch football. The Jewel has been showing football since she left the shipyard in 2005.

I was a little confused by the OP's post, because I know that they have shown football games on the number of Jewel cruises I've taken.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Sorry folks no football.   NCL seems to thinks the demographics of future cruiers doesn't warrent a contract for this ship.  Like I mentioned earlier, I think this ship is being blackballed.   Thank you NCL

Makes sense. Maybe because the games will be on in the middle of the night in Australia with few Americans onboard? Glad you got your answer.

8 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

That's ridiculous. The Jewel's systems are just fine. They do not need the "newest and greatest tv system" to watch football. The Jewel has been showing football since she left the shipyard in 2005. The ship pulls down a football game via satellite the same way it pulls down an old episode of Law and Order or a live broadcast of CNN.

This is a licensing fee issue and nothing more.

I know someone on the Escape and they are showing football in spice h20 so it seems they have the license fee. maybe there is an issue with the jewel not getting the signal

Edited by shof515

19 minutes ago, shof515 said:

Wrong. The Bliss and the Joy get the NFL

8 minutes ago, shof515 said:

I know someone on the Escape and they are showing football in spice h20 so it seems they have the license fee. maybe there is an issue with the jewel not getting the signal

Sorry but no fee was paid for this ship

34 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

On the Jewel now for the first Sunday of NFL football.  Found out that the demographics of this ship didn't warrant a contract for football.   Seems other NCL ships can watch football because those ships are better but not this ship.   Sorry future Jewel cruisers.  Thanks again Del Rio an your penny pinching ways

Please refer to this thread

2 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Please refer to this thread

Just following through on why  Del Rio thinks he knows what is best for his guests.  In my humble opinion, yeah right, Mr.  Del Rio has that the customer will understand attitude.  Bottom line first.  This gentleman has no customer service skills being in the hospitality industry.  

• Like 2