No NFL on Jewel. Why

jskinsd

14 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

To be honest, if I walk into a bar and there are a bunch of shouting people with caps on drinking beer and eating chicken wings with the TV volume turned up to 12 I am turning around and walking straight out again.

WE are not talking about a huge number of people, nor are they carrying and the volume is usually turned down so people can watch but it won't interfere with others enjoying themselves. Plus, remember on a cruise ship you have more than one selection of bars. The cruise line doesn't really care which bar you drink in, the money all goes the same place.

What makes you think everyone watching a sport activity is drinking beer and eating wings? That is a pretty generalized statement!!! 

If I walk into a bar and find the piano player playing too loud, I might find another bar or walk into a bar where no one is there except for maybe one couple I might walk out. This is a choice we can all make, without a snarky statement!!!!

11 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Just following through on why  Del Rio thinks he knows what is best for his guests.  In my humble opinion, yeah right, Mr.  Del Rio has that the customer will understand attitude.  Bottom line first.  This gentleman has no customer service skills being in the hospitality industry.  

This has nothing to do with Del Rio. We were on the Jewel when she crossed the Atlantic the first sailing. Del Rio was a name none of us had ever heard of and there were no games on. The cruise director gave us the results of all the games from the day before, both Sundays we were sailing. Please if you are going to make statements that you check out the facts before posting them for others to believe. :classic_blink: the Jewel is not the only ship we have been on without football or US sports at all. For years, I am sure many more than you we have sailed and rarely have we been able to get American sports. We may get the update the next day. Get off your blasting Del Rio for something he has nothing to do with. If you are right, why would we get European sports for that matter. There are things to blame Del Rio for, this for heavens sake is not one of them. :classic_angry:

• Like 2

If you want to watch the NFL, sail out of NYC.  Nothing like watching the Jets and Giants lose again.  Gem always had them on, but when the Gem sailed out of San Juan in 2016 there was no World Series baseball games.  Had to listen to game 7 on a radio in a bar.

6 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

WE are not talking about a huge number of people, nor are they carrying and the volume is usually turned down so people can watch but it won't interfere with others enjoying themselves.

What makes you think everyone watching a sport activity is drinking beer and eating wings? That is a pretty generalized statement!!! 

I must live in a different USA than you. 

They could actually have football and wings in the American Diner. No one would care if the noise and caps on backwards upset people. This was it at 8.06pm Friday night. We had just left a packed Cagney's, and walked past a packed Le Bistro. It was like this for most of the week.1669691159_AmericanDiner.thumb.jpg.80b474c34c2eefeb481a7ba6bd0c83eb.jpg

47 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

They could actually have football and wings in the American Diner. No one would care if the noise and caps on backwards upset people. This was it at 8.06pm Friday night. We had just left a packed Cagney's, and walked past a packed Le Bistro. It was like this for most of the week.1669691159_AmericanDiner.thumb.jpg.80b474c34c2eefeb481a7ba6bd0c83eb.jpg

what is Gods green earth are you talking about? You are making no sense. 

50 minutes ago, elwood_98034 said:

Just dropped in to see what folks are still arguing about and saw this pic.  That place is deader than Margaritaville

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

what is Gods green earth are you talking about? You are making no sense. 

The French restaurant was full. The steakhouse was full. The American restaurant was totally empty.

So, they could put up 20 big TV's, put on 20 totally different American sporting events, turn the volumes up to 12 on all of them, and all the people who like to drink beer and eat wings and wear their caps backwards could congregate there and talk at the tops of their voices without disturbing ANYONE else. Maybe then people could actually get a turn in a hot tub, and some peace and quiet.

It would be perfect. For everyone.

9 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

This has nothing to do with Del Rio. We were on the Jewel when she crossed the Atlantic the first sailing. Del Rio was a name none of us had ever heard of and there were no games on. The cruise director gave us the results of all the games from the day before, both Sundays we were sailing. Please if you are going to make statements that you check out the facts before posting them for others to believe. :classic_blink: the Jewel is not the only ship we have been on without football or US sports at all. For years, I am sure many more than you we have sailed and rarely have we been able to get American sports. We may get the update the next day. Get off your blasting Del Rio for something he has nothing to do with. If you are right, why would we get European sports for that matter. There are things to blame Del Rio for, this for heavens sake is not one of them. :classic_angry:

Then how can you explain why most ships in the fleet get the game but now the Jewel.  This was corporate decision and Del Rio had to approve it.   The Jewel is now worthy to carry football because of demographics. So therefore no NFL viewing contract for the Jewel.   He knows what the passengers will put up with.    Remember he is the one that approved no more lobster,  shrimp cocktails, pork spring rolls in the dining room because of bottom line.   He believes that the customer will understand. Now it is football.  Be ready for all ships.

So sorry Jewel cruisers.   No football this season. 

4 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Then how can you explain why most ships in the fleet get the game but now the Jewel.  This was corporate decision and Del Rio had to approve it.   The Jewel is now worthy to carry football because of demographics. So therefore no NFL viewing contract for the Jewel.   He knows what the passengers will put up with.    Remember he is the one that approved no more lobster,  shrimp cocktails, pork spring rolls in the dining room because of bottom line.   He believes that the customer will understand. Now it is football.  Be ready for all ships.

OMG I can't believe you would compare no Lobster to what games are shown on a cruise ship? Do you read anything anyone says? We did not get football on the Jewel when we sailed from London to NYC in 2006 .He wasn't in the picture then.  We have seen playoff games on all NCL ships but a few times including the Breakaway we have had to beg while at our M&G. The choice as to what games to show has nothing to do with the demographics. WE are not talking about what foods have been removed from the menu. 

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Sweet, I just realized the Superbowl will be on during my cruise :classic_blink:

I hope they will show the game . I have been on a few ships where playoff games are shown. So you are pretty safe. I am worried about the same thing with baseball and the World Series We will be on the Breakaway at the time. 

1 hour ago, elwood_98034 said:

The French restaurant was full. The steakhouse was full. The American restaurant was totally empty.

So, they could put up 20 big TV's, put on 20 totally different American sporting events, turn the volumes up to 12 on all of them, and all the people who like to drink beer and eat wings and wear their caps backwards could congregate there and talk at the tops of their voices without disturbing ANYONE else. Maybe then people could actually get a turn in a hot tub, and some peace and quiet.

It would be perfect. For everyone.

You seem to have a real hang up about people who enjoy football and compare them to some other class. Again not everyone who watches football drinks beer: I am one that does not nor does my husband. As for eating wings, probably not at the bar while watching football but who knows? People of all classes do enjoy the sport, they miss it when they are away and if it gives you more room in your precious hot tub go for it!!!!!😱

30 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Are you serious?  You think Del Rio approves something this trival?  Or do you think that if you keep blasting him, all of a sudden the football game will be on the Jewell?  I seriously doubt that Andy Stuart approved it either.

BTW, the no lobster in the MDR was Sheehan, not Del Rio or Stuart....recommend researching something before you blast someone for it.

As I said to someone who complained on and on about Game of Thrones not being on the ship's tv, if it means that much to you, tape it and watch it when you return home.

28 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

You seem to have a real hang up about people who enjoy football and compare them to some other class. Again not everyone who watches football drinks beer: I am one that does not nor does my husband. As for eating wings, probably not at the bar while watching football but who knows? People of all classes do enjoy the sport, they miss it when they are away and if it gives you more room in your precious hot tub go for it!!!!!😱

You haven't been on a ship in four years, but you feel free to flame anyone whom you disagree with? Make sure you chew your chicken wings well. They have bones I believe.

20 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Are you serious?  You think Del Rio approves something this trival?  Or do you think that if you keep blasting him, all of a sudden the football game will be on the Jewell?  I seriously doubt that Andy Stuart approved it either.

BTW, the no lobster in the MDR was Sheehan, not Del Rio or Stuart....recommend researching something before you blast someone for it.

As I said to someone who complained on and on about Game of Thrones not being on the ship's tv, if it means that much to you, tape it and watch it when you return home.

Someone approved it at corporate.  And somehow you seem to approve of the Jewel not being treated equally in the fleet.  Could you possibly explain why the Jewel is being singled out.

On 9/7/2019 at 3:58 PM, dpepper64 said:

when we where on the Bliss last Thanksgiving we saw lots of game  Sun 1,4,night game   Monday night game  as well as 3 thanksgiving games.  Hopefully the same on the Encore this year

Hopefully the same for the Bliss T-day week.....

6 minutes ago, jskinsd said:

Someone approved it at corporate.  And somehow you seem to approve of the Jewel not being treated equally in the fleet.  Could you possibly explain why the Jewel is being singled out.

Yes, I'm sure someone is possibly responsible, but you nor anyone else knows why this has happened.  You don't know if it was approved by someone or if there is another issue.  Just keep complaining if it makes you feel better.

BTW, I don't care one way or another if the Jewel or any other ship has football or not, which I would guess the majority of the passengers would agree.  And since the Jewel is my second favorite NCL ship, I will still sail it football or not.  And if there is a TV show that I have to see, I'll just tape it.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Like 2

Just maybe during the dry-dock upgrading NCL forgot to install the TV satellite software upgrade - who knows ?

Do you have a source for all this FDR did this FDR did that - FDR did not authorize and FDR is PERSONALLY

responsible for all this lack of football on your specific ship (JEWEL)  ?

22 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Sorry I am done new thread.

OP.....you have issues. You are on a cruise ship....on  vacation......where you paid hard earned money to enjoy yourself. And you are having an absolute meltdown because you can't watch NFL games????   Seriously??? 🙄.

It's  not like your team is in the SB  and you  will miss the game.

Besides 25 posts ago,  I thought you were done with the thread? Wow  just  Wow.  Chill out. 😜

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jskinsd said:

I'm confused...if you can so definitively state who made the decision and the reason behind it, then why do you need to start a thread here to ask "why"? And what on this Earth makes you think that when decisions are made that someone has the job of ensuring that people on Cruise Critic know "why".

You are actually ON THE SHIP. That makes you an eye-witness...you are right there at the source, and yet you think WE know "why"? I don't even know "why" you are paying good money to be on a cruise...to spend your time on the freaking Internet.

2 hours ago, cruisetheworld67 said:

OP.....you have issues. You are on a cruise ship....on  vacation......where you paid hard earned money to enjoy yourself. And you are having an absolute meltdown because you can't watch NFL games????   Seriously??? 🙄.

It's  not like your team is in the SB  and you  will miss the game.

Besides 25 posts ago,  I thought you were done with the thread? Wow  just  Wow.  Chill out. 😜

The thread kept going  and I have to defend myself.  This really doesn't have anything to do with me.   Just wanted a reasonable explanation on why one ship is being singled out.   Yes there is more life to football but I have been on the same ship the season for 8 weeks.   Had football last year and all the years before.  I do not have a favorite team because my team left the city.   San Diego. 

And yes in Alaska I have seem many whales, orcas, dolphins, seals and two weeks ago even got to see the Northern Lights.  So when you basically have a summer time share on a cruise ship it is nice to get what you have received before.   NCL also increased dinner prices during turn a round day. 

I have over 50 NCL cruises and will continue to sail with them because they are a wonderful value and the ships staff have excellent  customer skills.   I just have a problem  with corporate because of there nickle and diming skeams. 

FYI. Raining very hard in Vancouver now but had sunshine in Alaska the last two weeks. 

4 hours ago, elwood_98034 said:

You haven't been on a ship in four years, but you feel free to flame anyone whom you disagree with? Make sure you chew your chicken wings well. They have bones I believe.

Holy Cow where did you get that crazy idea?I was on the Dawn this past Feb, the Dawn again last spring, the Breakaway twice in the past couple of years, the Epic 3 years ago, the Pearl 2 years ago and the Jewel in 2016. Most of those ships I have led the M&G 

19 hours ago, jskinsd said:

It is all about Del Rio  and his penny pinching ways.   Never lookimg forward but how to take away.   The true sign of a great  leader.   

You can always stream the games. 

I agree with you though...I am on the Getaway early next month over a Sunday and you can bet that some way some how I will be watching the Seahawks hammer the Rams on Thursday night football somewhere between Berlin and Tallinn. 

20 minutes ago, fastpitchdad said:

You can always stream the games. 

I agree with you though...I am on the Getaway early next month over a Sunday and you can bet that some way some how I will be watching the Seahawks hammer the Rams on Thursday night football somewhere between Berlin and Tallinn. 

I hope so.   NCL is usually very good.  But not this decision.   Feel like the Jewel is the black sheep of the family.   Have sailed on her 14 weeks in Alaska the last two seasons.   I do like this ship and its staff.   Top notch people.