Stateroom free movies eliminated

Nymich

28 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Or -  Remember when they discontinued the little chocolates on your pillow.   After years of downgrading from Cova Chocolate (very premium) to those little squares to Nothing.     There was such an outcry that Celebrity reversed their decision and re-instated.    In the case of the chocolates -  how much would they have been saving?

We tried to save the daily bottled water in AQuaclass...one of the nicer perks. To no avail!  One measly hello bottle per cruiser!  Yes, it's in our package but having it in the room was very  convenient...esp for going to the gym early am.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, txflood33 said:

I will also add a 14 page thread on an internet message board about no more free movies is a bit of an overreaction when you truly put things into perspective. That's why I find this thread amusing.

That is YOUR opinion.  Hopefully they won't mess with your drink package or what you DO find important.   Glad you are amused twice over.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, txflood33 said:

I will also add a 14 page thread on an internet message board about no more free movies is a bit of an overreaction when you truly put things into perspective. That's why I find this thread amusing.

Carry on and remember, I'm on some of yours side 

It was over 100 pages when RCI started charging for all room service.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been on here, so count me as part of the TL;DR (Too Long; Didn't Read).

My gut feeling is that I'm not spending a good chunk of money just to sit in my cabin and watch television. I'm there to see new places in the world, meeting new people, and just disconnect from the rest of the world. 

Having said that, there have been technological advances in the past few years that made this more of a minor inconvenience rather than a hardship. You can download movies/TV series to your device for offline viewing on your tablet or smartphone. Here are some links:

I do know that Netflix offers a "Open Connect" option where their server is located on the ISP premises to better stream their media to subscribers. Perhaps it can be configured for shipboard use through a WiFi network, and "charge up" via a WiFi connection while in port. But, then there is international media rights...

Are those free movies to download ??? 

We are low tech but did see how we may be able to download movies to our android tablet from  google at no cost.  We will try it next week and see how it works as well as  how tiny it looks on  an 8" screen.  Our laptop is heavy for trvl..not worth bringing.

Um... totally lost over your last paragraph..I see we need to get more tech saavy to just survive tgese days. We only recently got android smart  phones..already obselete versionm   and  just got a new TV..wish we had the old one back... Easy to use  was what we gave up  for the amazing visuals ( extra cable  box fee), complicated remote functions...and the soundbar we had to pay extra for...But you can talk to it

14 pages is nothing when it matters. Especially when several other cruiselines who charge less for their cruises provide recent, on demand movies in the stateroom for free. And to suggest work arounds falls right into their trap of accepting less for more. Why is anyone falling for that? WAKE UP PEOPLE! It is not our job to provide our own entertainment! We are all paying big bucks for this Celebrity experience. This is just part of a continuing trend of cut, cut, cut by Celebrity while the price goes up, up, up. Keep the thread going!

• Like 8

Agree but our next cruise is in Nov so we  may need to improvise!

Did not hear back from X one touch..guess they were not impressed with our cruise history, future bookings or E plus status. I plan to print it out and send it to CEO ofc.

What else can we do?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Agree but our next cruise is in Nov so we  may need to improvise!

Did not hear back from X one touch..guess they were not impressed with our cruise history, future bookings or E plus status. I plan to print it out and send it to CEO ofc.

What else can we do?

Talk about disrespectful!  I like your plan!

• Like 1

Is anyone trying to address this on Celebrity’s social media sites like FB or Twitter?

I do not do social media and movies are not my pet peeve with X, but removal of footstools is!  I think if some will take it to the X FB page it may get more attention.  Their FB page is where they want to recruit future cruisers and pretend that everything is “modern luxury”.  We need to bombard them with comments about the cheapening of the modern luxury experience!  

Edited by takemewithyou
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Talk about disrespectful!  I like your plan!

Maybe sending  short to the point written  letters will get some attention...less anonymous  than e mail and seems to invite someone to perhaps read and reply...

Do shareholders every get to express opinions?

Edited by hcat

For those who think it is ridiculous to watch a free movie in your cabin.. Think about being a senior ??     We cannot go full out every day for  2 weeks... or even one week.  We need a rest and we watched one movie a cruise. It was perfect.  Actually we need down time every day.  On the TV we could watch it together . On a tablet it is difficult

• Like 10

1 hour ago, takemewithyou said:

Is anyone trying to address this on Celebrity’s social media sites like FB or Twitter?

I do not do social media and movies are not my pet peeve with X, but removal of footstools is!  I think if some will take it to the X FB page it may get more attention.  Their FB page is where they want to recruit future cruisers and pretend that everything is “modern luxury”.  We need to bombard them with comments about the cheapening of the modern luxury experience!  

I just tried to do this on FB, and got a bot that said I was being referred to a Celebrity Rep. After waiting on line, I got a message to call them, essentially getting the runaround. Someone said earlier that they only want to hear praise/kudos, but no concerns/complaints. They are in the hospitality business and should listen to their customers. Seems like they have their fingers in their ears.....Why should we have to bring our own entertainment on ipads or laptops? This is not a camping trip, for goodness sake! Maybe they think if they deliver on most of the major things we are looking for on a cruise, we won't miss the little things as they disappear.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, missm said:

Maybe they think if they deliver on most of the major things we are looking for on a cruise, we won't miss the little things as they disappear.

THIS!!!!!  

It’s all smoke and mirrors and misdirection.  RCI has been doing it since the Oasis came out in 2010.  It’s all a game of distraction.  They have been installing all the “wow” with aqua theaters, sky diving, bumper cars, but killing the details like room service, chocolates, bar service in the MDR, wait staff, etc.   For Celebrity it seems the Edge combined with the “revolution” is really accelerating the spiral as they have the “fancy ship” to distract from the details.  It’s all a magic act,  in which instead of a rabbit disappearing from a hat it’s amenities from a ship.

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, rimmit said:

THIS!!!!!  

It’s all smoke and mirrors and misdirection.  RCI has been doing it since the Oasis came out in 2010.  It’s all a game of distraction.  They have been installing all the “wow” with aqua theaters, sky diving, bumper cars, but killing the details like room service, chocolates, bar service in the MDR, wait staff, etc.   For Celebrity it seems the Edge combined with the “revolution” is really accelerating the spiral as they have the “fancy ship” to distract from the details.  It’s all a magic act,  in which instead of a rabbit disappearing from a hat it’s amenities from a ship.

Right here on this thread I have counted thousands booked away from X.   They will get the first, second, even third timers who are still in their honeymoon stage with cruising X.  Once they get 5-10 cruises they will have CUTS of their own to share with others!

Edited by Nymich

The Edge just put in those nice big TV’s and we are going to watch movies on iPads? This is crazy. 

We are usually in suites but we took a preview in an OV. We were very impressed with the cabin, the TV quality and the food in Cosmopolitan.

I also care about foot stools and tables to use in balconies. When passengers posted they paid for suites but the benefit area was not accessible makes me wonder what the heck is going on. Is there a commitment to continue to be a premium line?

Interesting excerpt from X bio of LLP

Lutoff-Perlo has held a variety of roles during her ladder-climbing 32-year tenure with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. She spent many years within the sales and marketing organizations in varying roles and levels of responsibility, creating a deep understanding of the value of customers.

HOPE SHE UNDERSTANDS THAT A GOOD NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITHOUT THE MOVIES AND FOOTSTOOLS.....& DAILY WATER IN AQ CLASS!

OR MAYBE DOES NOT CARE?????

49 minutes ago, hcat said:

Interesting excerpt from X bio of LLP

Lutoff-Perlo has held a variety of roles during her ladder-climbing 32-year tenure with Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. She spent many years within the sales and marketing organizations in varying roles and levels of responsibility, creating a deep understanding of the value of customers.

HOPE SHE UNDERSTANDS THAT A GOOD NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS WILL NOT BE HAPPY WITHOUT THE MOVIES AND FOOTSTOOLS.....& DAILY WATER IN AQ CLASS!

OR MAYBE DOES NOT CARE?????

If they don't honor their Zenith and long-haul cruisers with something nice like a free dinner in Murano, a generous OBC or dinner with the Captain, then why do we think they would care about movies, foot stools and water?

Edited by missm

Just received my reply from One Touch.....Not sure if I will try to continue the  conversation.

Dear Mrs. and Mr........

We are grateful you have taken the time to contact Celebrity Cruises. It is always a pleasure to hear from our Captain’s Club members, and I am pleased to have this opportunity to answer your concern.

I am very sorry you are disappointed that we’ll no longer be offering free movies in our stateroom television line-up. Although in-stateroom movies will now only be pay-per-view, we want you to know that we’ll continue to show a good selection of new release films in the ship’s public areas, like in the theater and on our outdoor screens. Also, if you prefer to watch shows in the comfort of your own room, you’ll still have access to a variety of free TV channels. We hope you enjoy these viewing options when sailing with Celebrity.

We really appreciate that you’ve taken the time to share your thoughts regarding this recent change to our stateroom movies. Your feedback is extremely important to us, and we are carefully reviewing all comments being sent our way and sharing them with our operational teams.

Mrs. And Mr  .. ..... thank you for your continued loyalty to and support of Celebrity Cruises. We look forward to welcoming you aboard another Celebrity sailing in the future.

Sincerely,

Tyrus Thompson
Celebrity Cruises

3 hours ago, CAT58 said:

I received a reply from One Touch which not only didn't answer the questions I asked re free to view movies,they sent the stock corporate reply, but couldn't even get my name right.

lol, my response from Celebrityonetouch.com had my name spelled correctly with Dear Ms. xxxxx, but then it was incorrectly spelled further in the email. 

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:06 PM, Cruzinram said:

Do not expect a reversal of this decision. LLP is head strong, and will suck it up. Stubborn would be a good word.

Sooner or later someone else in a power position at Celebrity has to realize that LLP is destroying the Celebrity brand. We are Elite+ and have two more cruises booked on the Reflection in 2020 and they will most likely be our last with Celebrity. The one in January because we got a great rate on a 10 night Caribbean when we cancelled the Edge. Too good to give up since that fare is now double. Second one is to the Holy Land in September and that one is my husband's "bucket list" itinerary plus we are travelling with 3 other couples. 

On 9/14/2019 at 11:39 AM, rimmit said:

The rights to display them in cabin increase the cost from just the rights for public viewing.

If Celebrity is trying to market themselves as a premium vacation they have to find ways to set themselves apart.  Free On Demand Movies is something the lower end lines do not have.  

If you really want to attract the next generation of cruisers, the millennials,  you have to cater to that market.  The millennial generation is used to instantaneous access to movies and pretty much everything.   The On Demand Movies was something that everyone I knew absolutely loved about celebrity and also something that Disney has that everyone also commented on as a great amenity.   I cannot speak for HA or Princess as I have not been on them in 10 years or so.  The in room entertainment, while not the main reason we book a cruise is definitely something we consider, and we are not the only ones.  Especially if itineraries are similar.

Princess offers a good selection of on demand free movies in cabins. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hcat said:

Are those free movies to download ??? 

We are low tech but did see how we may be able to download movies to our android tablet from  google at no cost.  We will try it next week and see how it works as well as  how tiny it looks on  an 8" screen.  Our laptop is heavy for trvl..not worth bringing.

Um... totally lost over your last paragraph..I see we need to get more tech saavy to just survive tgese days. We only recently got android smart  phones..already obselete versionm   and  just got a new TV..wish we had the old one back... Easy to use  was what we gave up  for the amazing visuals ( extra cable  box fee), complicated remote functions...and the soundbar we had to pay extra for...But you can talk to it

I have Amazon Prime. Most of the movies are free to Prime customers.  

Since you say you're not tech savvy, my Samsung Chromebook Plus was easy to set up. I just plugged it in and followed the prompts.  I also have a Kindle Fire that I could use to watch movies.

Edited by Marelaine