Stateroom free movies eliminated

Nymich

6 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

I use the Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter (Apple $50) and an 10' long ultra-slimline HDMI cable along with my personal Samsung remote which allows me to change the input to the HDMI port I'm connected. When I sail on Princess, I bring a cheap RCA universal remote that has an INPUT button so I can code it to their LG tv and then I can change the HDMI source. If you bring a universal remote, don't forget the instructions and the codes for Samsung tv's.

HDMI Cable 10ft HDMI Cord Ultra-Slim with 90 Degree HDMI Adapter & Cable Ties, 4K HDMI Cable High Speed for Ethernet, PS4, 1080P, Xbox One, 3D, PC-2 Pack by PERLESMITH (Amazon $8.99)

I know you are only trying to help but I will not be hauling all that stuff on what is supposed to be a luxury vacation.  Give the movies back X you made a mistake!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

If you are a member of a roll call for an upcoming cruise, I think it might be a good idea to post about this in that forum as well.  There are lots of roll call members out there who may not regularly tune in to CC boards for issues such as these.  I just posted in my 11/22 roll call making a plea to contact Celebrity regarding this issue...

This is an excellent idea!  I hope everyone does this.  Remember do not just post here.  Call or write X!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

I use the Apple Lightning to Digital AV Adapter (Apple $50) and an 10' long ultra-slimline HDMI cable along with my personal Samsung remote which allows me to change the input to the HDMI port I'm connected. When I sail on Princess, I bring a cheap RCA universal remote that has an INPUT button so I can code it to their LG tv and then I can change the HDMI source. If you bring a universal remote, don't forget the instructions and the codes for Samsung tv's.

HDMI Cable 10ft HDMI Cord Ultra-Slim with 90 Degree HDMI Adapter & Cable Ties, 4K HDMI Cable High Speed for Ethernet, PS4, 1080P, Xbox One, 3D, PC-2 Pack by PERLESMITH (Amazon $8.99)

Cleaned our garage today and found an unused HDMI Cable.. but truthfully we haven't got a clue  .   Non tech folk like us will be on the small laptop of s o l....

24 minutes ago, Nymich said:

I know you are only trying to help but I will not be hauling all that stuff on what is supposed to be a luxury vacation.  Give the movies back X you made a mistake!

I was responding to Iamthesea since the question was how to hook up an iPad to the TV.

Edited by shirazcruiser
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

It is much more complex than this, as celebrity at least on the newer revolutionized ships, have locked out the controls (even third party remotes do not work).  There is  hack someone mentioned in the forums that if you hook up your device and turn it on (if you can even access the ports.  Inside cabin on the summit the ports on the tv were nearly impossible to access due to the frame and the way the tv was mounted) and then turn on the tv it would override the system and you could use the source button on the tv.  I have not confirmed this works.  On RCI it is very ship (and room) dependent if you can hook up a device although the 3rd party remote trick tends to be have more consistent success.  RCI is also very ship dependent based on their most recent refit may have only swapped out certain parts and as such there much piecemealing of technology, esp between the suites and other stateroom classes. 

Posting in roll calls is an excellent idea and I will do the same.

1 hour ago, hulamoon said:

I am willing to give up free chocolate at night on my pillow. I love them but free movies are better. Then I remember my goodness, we have given up a lot over the years. Things to do, shows, better food, I remember when the dailies were overwhelming with choices and now its mostly about buying more and more. It's not even a complaint, its a fact.

My wife who has only been cruising since 2007 has noticed big difference even in just 12 years.  I've been cruising since 1991, and the amount that has been given up is just tremendous.  The final straw for me with RCI and why we have tried other cruiselines after many years of almost exclusively RCI was the charge on room service (not just after midnight, but all day).  Since then we have done independent travel, NCL, X, and an all inclusive on top of an occasional RCI cruise.  It's good to branch out.  We liked and disliked aspects of every type of vacation. 

If we didn't have a 4 and 8 year old we'd definitely look into Viking, Virgin, and some of the luxury/adult only lines and see how they are.  We are very happy with X, but are concerned that they are going the way of their sister company, RCI at this time and this is just the tip of the iceburg.  Room service charges will likely be next sadly. 

24 minutes ago, rimmit said:

It is much more complex than this, as celebrity at least on the newer revolutionized ships, have locked out the controls (even third party remotes do not work).  There is  hack someone mentioned in the forums that if you hook up your device and turn it on (if you can even access the ports.  Inside cabin on the summit the ports on the tv were nearly impossible to access due to the frame and the way the tv was mounted) and then turn on the tv it would override the system and you could use the source button on the tv.  I have not confirmed this works.  On RCI it is very ship (and room) dependent if you can hook up a device although the 3rd party remote trick tends to be have more consistent success.  RCI is also very ship dependent based on their most recent refit may have only swapped out certain parts and as such there much piecemealing of technology, esp between the suites and other stateroom classes. 

Posting in roll calls is an excellent idea and I will do the same.

We experienced that issue in May on the Summit. I read the thread by Jim_Iain about circumventing the new TV.

3 minutes ago, shirazcruiser said:

We experienced that issue in May on the Summit. I read the thread by Jim_Iain about circumventing the new TV.

Were you successful?

My son has a Nintendo Switch and on the Oasis of the Seas loved that we could hook it up to our in cabin TV.  We were disappointed we could not find a way on the Summit this Aug.  I had not read Jim_Iain trick until recently though.

I have post in several of the more exotic Roll Calls, as these tend to garner the hardcore cruisers that will likely be more vocal about changes.  Hopefully this will stir the pot. 

• Like 1

The tv viewing options are terrible already on Celebrity, and eliminating the few free movies is a bad move. Americans are now used to a huge selection on their home tvs and for Celebrity to make watching tv onboard more boring and expensive seems to be a bad business decision. We are packing this weekend to spend almost two months on the Solstice, and I have to confess that I am dreading having nothing to watch every night before we go to sleep. They should be expanding their in-cabin entertainment, not limiting it.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Were you successful?

My son has a Nintendo Switch and on the Oasis of the Seas loved that we could hook it up to our in cabin TV.  We were disappointed we could not find a way on the Summit this Aug.  I had not read Jim_Iain trick until recently though.

I have post in several of the more exotic Roll Calls, as these tend to garner the hardcore cruisers that will likely be more vocal about changes.  Hopefully this will stir the pot. 

I learned about the trick after we got home. 

I need to copy and paste the instructions! Didn’t  we give up formal

night so we didn’t have to pack extra to Europe? It’s crazy.

Next it will

be a class and a sales opportunity to teach us how to hook up a free movie and purchase the equipment!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, missm said:

The tv viewing options are terrible already on Celebrity, and eliminating the few free movies is a bad move. Americans are now used to a huge selection on their home tvs and for Celebrity to make watching tv onboard more boring and expensive seems to be a bad business decision. We are packing this weekend to spend almost two months on the Solstice, and I have to confess that I am dreading having nothing to watch every night before we go to sleep. They should be expanding their in-cabin entertainment, not limiting it.

This is mind blowing that someone can spend all that money two months of cruising and not have any free in stateroom movies?  the terrible thing is you had them when you booked the cruise and when you paid for it but not when you embark!  I trust you have touched base with X to let them know that this shows no class whatsoever and at best is CHEAP.

This thread is amusing to me...and I say that with all due respect.

Look, I get it. I have watched a movie in the room before...more than once. There will be an adjustment. This thread makes it sound like they removed breakfast.

It makes sense to be disappointed. Everyone has their routines and comfort zones. There are tons of things that can be a swap for a movie.

• Read
    • I understand some ships have better libraries than others. E-Readers are amazingly inexpensive. If you're not looking to spend the extra money, most of us have an ipad or tablet of some sort. Kindle has a free app and you can read on your current tablet.
  • White noise to relax
    • many free apps that could be used on your smartphone 
  • Music
    • make a playlist from Apple Music or spotify or your own collection of digital music. Relaxing songs...upbeat songs to get the evening going...the sing-a-long songs you both love. Make multiple playlists that are about your destinations.
  • Laptops and tablets
    • I know this is a huge assumption on my part, but the majority of us travel with a tablet or laptop. For work or for entertainment on the flight or whatever the reason...the bulk of us have them and bring one, if not both. Get a thumb drive and load it up with movies.

There was a poster that said her son liked to play his switch on the tv......I don't really know how else to say this, but, the Switch is a handheld game system...designed to be played in single player mode or across a LAN in handheld mode. The ability to play on the tv is a nice feature, but is not needed. It's absurdly silly to use the Switch reasoning for being upset you can't access the HDMI ports.

I guess what I'm saying is put it into perspective. You're in a floating hotel somewhere in the world where you were not yesterday. Send the emails. Express your displeasure. However, this is a relatively easy problem to solve. Is't one of the cool things about vacation trying new things?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Ok we have you down in the minority.   Great breakthrough ideas on alternatives to Free Movies.  

Just because I'm not choosing this to be the mountain I die on, doesn't put me in the minority. I'm just choosing the path of 'it's an easy problem to resolve'.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, txflood33 said:

Look, I get it. I have watched a movie in the room before...more than once. There will be an adjustment. This thread makes it sound like they removed breakfast.

It makes sense to be disappointed. Everyone has their routines and comfort zones. There are tons of things that can be a swap for a movie.

• Read
    • I understand some ships have better libraries than others. E-Readers are amazingly inexpensive. If you're not looking to spend the extra money, most of us have an ipad or tablet of some sort. Kindle has a free app and you can read on your current tablet.
  • White noise to relax
  • Music
    • make a playlist from Apple Music or spotify or your own collection of digital music. Relaxing songs...upbeat songs to get the evening going...the sing-a-long songs you both love. Make multiple playlists that are about your destinations.
  • Laptops and tablets
    • I know this is a huge assumption on my part, but the majority of us travel with a tablet or laptop. For work or for entertainment on the flight or whatever the reason...the bulk of us have them and bring one, if not both. Get a thumb drive and load it up with movies.

There was a poster that said her son liked to play his switch on the tv......I don't really know how else to say this, but, the Switch is a handheld game system...designed to be played in single player mode or across a LAN in handheld mode. The ability to play on the tv is a nice feature, but is not needed. It's absurdly silly to use the Switch reasoning for being upset you can't access the HDMI ports.

I guess what I'm saying is put it into perspective. You're in a floating hotel somewhere in the world where you were not yesterday. Send the emails. Express your displeasure. However, this is a relatively easy problem to solve. Is't one of the cool things about vacation trying new things?

While the switch is a handheld game system, it is also designed to be docked. And it is INCREDIBLY hard to play two players on it.  Have you tried to play two player mario kart or Rocket league on that small screen... Yeah, its nearly impossible to read the screen text and I am pretty young. Your back aches in less than 10 minutes from being hunched over with two people staring at that small screen. Even worse... Have you tried 4 player smash brothers on that screen???  You CANNOT get 4 people around it efficiently.  It just can't be done.  I won't even broach the topic of having 8 player smash playing on one switch. That's just silly.  The switch is the ONLY system on the market that continues to support local multiplayer play consistently.  Even Halo 5 killed off local coop.  The switch continues to support local multiplayer more than any other system. You say it's designed to be played on a LAN..... well if this was its main purpose why do you have to BUY A SEPARATE LAN ADAPTER? It's not included when you buy the system. You can't even play the system in LAN mode unless it's docked.  You cannot play the system handheld with a LAN.  Handheld only works in WiFi.    I would argue if it's not included when you buy it, it's likely not the primary purpose, and if you can't use it in handheld mode with the LAN Adapter, that is DEFINITELY not the purpose of the system.

I don't know really know how else to say this, but polls on major gaming websites show a very large number of people use their switch in Dock mode. In fact pretty much every poll says most play it in a docked state. I know I do.  To state no one plays the switch in dock mode is very misleading and just incorrect.  Nintendo just came out with the switch lite for people that don't want to dock their switch, but the current switch is still selling like hotcakes despite the the newer cheaper one with docking capabilities about to be released.  Me and my son love to play smash, mario kart, and rocket league together, and doing it on that small screen is just very difficult.  We do it on an airplane, as we have no other option, but outside of that multiplayer on one switch is just not very enjoyable. 

Of course there are other options.  No one argues that there are other options.  The main thing is it's the loss of something that many used and many are accustomed to.  I like to use the analogy of losing something at Disney World.  You pay a premium when you go to Disney, and when you pay a premium you come to expect certain amenities.  For example, if you are spending the money on a Deluxe Disney resort, you expect to have the small bottles of shampoo.  For $500 dollars a night, I do not expect to be pumping soap out of a dispenser.  You just don't.  Now while it's just as efficient (and keep in mind iPads and laptops are not just as efficient as turning on a tv and clicking a couple buttons) and arguably more efficient to pump it out of the wall dispenser, having those cute little bottles with mickey mouse is a nice touch.  Let's say Disney decides to put wall dispensers in the Grand Floridian and Contemporary resorts... I guarantee there would be an uprising about something so dinky and trivial.  When staying at a value resort at Disney, in this case we would use Carnival or RCI as the cruise equivalent, you aren't too shocked to be pumping soap out of a wall dispenser. 

The point is, you pay more and expect more.  You pay more for an X cruise than a RCI or Carnival cruise, and in the process expect more out of it.  When we pay for a DCL cruise, you can bet I expect the moon out of DCL compared to RCI or X or NCL or really any other major american line.  We paid a premium for that product and thus expect a certain level of service and amenities.

Complacency is why businesses tend to decline overtime.  Every great company eventually gets complacent and stops listening to their customers.  Without continual feedback improvements are not made and mistakes are not accounted for.  To simply state "try new things" while not necessarily a bad thing, is not always the best course of action. We love to try new things.  I've made my whole life around "trying new things."  Hence why I have been dragging our kids across the world since they were babies.  So they can try new things.

It is an easy problem to solve, but should we be having to solve the problem to begin with?  X made the problem...  They expect us to fix it?

This in no way ruins our cruise.  It just makes it a little less enjoyable.   

And don't joke about losing breakfast....  Give it enough time and everything on a cruise ship will come with a charge.  I fully suspect the MDR could be next on RCI.  For X it could be room service.  I anticipate in the next ten years, the free room service will likely be gone.  

Edited by rimmit
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, txflood33 said:

Just because I'm not choosing this to be the mountain I die on, doesn't put me in the minority. I'm just choosing the path of 'it's an easy problem to resolve'.

I agree it's an easy "problem to resolve."

The real issue though is I don't go on expensive holidays looking for things to resolve...

• Like 8

I doesn't matter if I'm on Celebrity, Princess or Royal Caribbean. I don't gamble, shop, pose for pictures, or book another cruise on board anymore. However, I do take full advantage of the drink packages and any food venues included in the fare. Financially they would be better off finding a way to keep me in my room. 

Understand completely.

This is an excellent example of why cruise lines are trying to attract new customers. Passengers who want to see and do everything available. People who want to have and document (pictures) new experiences.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, txflood33 said:

• Read
  • White noise to relax
  • Music
  • Laptops and tablets

Thank you, this is most helpful. I had no idea there were alternatives to watching movies. I’m also grateful for the suggestion  that I should try to do other things as I’m on holiday.

Next time you are on a plane and the in flight entertainment doesn’t work a good alternative is to look out the window or browse the inflight magazines....

yes, you could describe a ship as a floating hotel, - but every land based hotel I stop in these days (on average 2 nights a week) seems to have at least 50 free TV channels and free high speed internet.. 

• Like 3

That Millennium Transpacific cruise currently underway, glad we skipped out on it.  There were already problems with them keeping us in the dark about a charter, and then only giving those who booked direct a 2 week opportunity to switch itineraries.  

15 nights is a long time with only 2 ports, especially since Dutch Harbor often gets cancelled due to weather.  No movies and uncomfortable furniture, PASS.

X used to have a game controller in the desk..but we could never get it to work anyhow.. on one cruise, they did help fh set up our laptop for a games he was into...doubt they'd help much now!

Maybe they could compromise and show the public venue movies on the TV in the Stateroom at various times..They must have already paid to use them...And with X claiming to be so high tech this should be easy!  It would be fewer choices but at least something.

They could also replay some of the shows.  Get rid of all the awful sales pitches, and other empty content.

6 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Understand completely.

This is an excellent example of why cruise lines are trying to attract new customers. Passengers who want to see and do everything available. People who want to have and document (pictures) new experiences.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

They also want newbies who don't know about the good old days as well.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, Nymich said:

We were on Equinox last week and when we got on we noticed only 5 free movies and all others were $14.99.  We checked again mid week and they were all gone.  Called Guest Relations and they said broadcasting department said that the contract had ended and they would not be offering free movies in the cabins anymore fleet wide.   Please chime in if you are seeing the same or it was just poor service and communication on the Equinox.  Cheap move on this one imo if true.  I think it was Wednesday September 2nd that the movies were gone and I got this response from Guest Relations.   Anyone cruising right now let us know.  Thanks

I found this post from Chicago Paul  who is currently on the Millennium, I though I share with you! I will find out next month for myself, but thanks to this thread I will be downloading some movies to my IPAD for the upcoming cruise. Here is the link to Chicago Paul post; 

22 minutes ago, PENNST66 said:

I found this post from Chicago Paul  who is currently on the Millennium, I though I share with you! I will find out next month for myself, but thanks to this thread I will be downloading some movies to my IPAD for the upcoming cruise. Here is the link to Chicago Paul post; 

Unfortunately those will disappear as well per the guest services rep I talked to on the phone.  The contract for movies appears ship dependent when it will be up.  The newer revolutionized ships seem to have them longer, but they will all be phased out eventually.