Stateroom free movies eliminated

Nymich

1 hour ago, Nymich said:

I got the same garbage.  That variety of channels are half X sales channels.  The others are CNBC, MSNBC, FOX NEWS, FOOD NETWORK and ESPN1 and ESPN2 Intl version so lots of soccer.

Flipping back and forth between MSNBC and FOX NEWS is all the entertainment I need on-board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An earlier poster stated that airlines offer free WI-FI.    I would like to know what airline(s) offer free WI-FI.   United, for instance, does not,  even in first/business class.  

I believe it was $14.95 per flight and it certainly wasn’t fast enough to stream.   They also don’t offer free entertainment unless you load their AP and watch it on a screen you carried with you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

So I just got a call from our shore side concierge for our upcoming cruise on Silhouette (11/22).  She said that my one touch email ended up with her and she wanted to discuss the matter with me.  She was absolutely wonderful and completely empathetic to the issue.  Like someone else posted, she seemed as outraged by the change as the guests and said she was glad I wrote to voice my concern because the more people who do so, perhaps the more top level executives will pay attention.  As we are in a RS, she did confirm that there are no more free movies for any  cabin category.  She also indicated that as a group, the concierges were called together to discuss the change and to determine the appropriate way to respond to guest complaints.  I believe that her dialog to me was very similar to what has already been reported.  At any rate, they are making note of the number of complaints that are coming in on this issue...so keep them coming, I guess.

This gives me a small glimmer of hope this could be a reversible change.  On other changes that I have complained heavily about (most recently the 7.95 surcharge on ALL room service on RCI except a very limited continental breakfast) there are slightly different responses I have noticed based o. the chance of a reversal.  With the 7.95 charge it was pretty much a hardline “suck it up.  This is how it is gonna be” kind of thing.  No sympathy no flinching,  just cold hard facts.  For reversals such as the internet coupon debacle, the loyalty ambassador was more flexible in terms of her response.  

Also in favor that that this is one that could get reversed is that it does not require more manpower.  Just more money.  The cruise lines seem to be much less responsive to reverse changes that require more manpower.  Room service requires a fair amount of manpower and time to deliver.  All this requires is for them to just renegotiate a contract.

Only time will tell.  I suspect this is here to stay, but it never hurts to voice your opinion.

I am shocked that it is not free for suite guests.  Typically these days everything is leaning toward delineating suite vs non suite.  

Edited by rimmit

27 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

An earlier poster stated that airlines offer free WI-FI.    I would like to know what airline(s) offer free WI-FI.   United, for instance, does not,  even in first/business class.  

I believe it was $14.95 per flight and it certainly wasn’t fast enough to stream.   They also don’t offer free entertainment unless you load their AP and watch it on a screen you carried with you.

JetBlue which is the only line I fly has had Flyfi for a few years now for free. There may be others but I don't know for sure. JetBlue also has free TV and  Movies along with pay for movies that are show on a screen on the back of the seat in front of you. This is all in coach 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 9:45 AM, hcat said:

So now Books on the tablet...some ships  like EDGE have No library and poor selection on others.

Now we'll have to download movies too.

On demand in the room is  much better than being on their  schedule for movies...and much  more comfy on the couch if tv swivels  or on the  bed...

Whoever is running this place seems really  out of touch with cruising and what people enjoy!  Not everyone sits at a bar all day and night!

But they want you to.

57 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Budget airline Norwegian offers free in seat entertainment.  I honestly don’t think in the last 10 years I have been on a carrier that does not have free inflight entertainment for their medium to long haul flights.  Short domestic flights that’s a whole other story.  

Random note,  but I also can’t remember the last time in my life that I have been on a long haul international flight that didn’t have a free PREMIUM drink package included.  They have always poured all the drinks I wanted and I only fly coach.

Edited by rimmit

1 hour ago, MamaFej said:

Have they gotten rid of BBC World News as well? I really enjoy watching it. The US American cable news channels each have a definite left or right lean to them. I always make a conscious effort to get multiple perspectives as I watch news, but sometimes it's nice to watch a more unbiased channel like BBC World. I don't have BBCW at home, so I especially enjoy having it when we travel. If Celebrity have gotten rid of it as well as the included movies, that's another reason to lean toward Princess when other factors are equal. 

oops I missed one yes they had BBC

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

some airlines offer free wifi not all

At a glance | Airlines that offer free in-flight Wi-Fi

• Emirates
  • Qatar Airways
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Norwegian
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Air China
  • China Eastern
  • Nok Air

40 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

JetBlue which is the only line I fly has had Flyfi for a few years now for free. There may be others but I don't know for sure. JetBlue also has free TV and  Movies along with pay for movies that are show on a screen on the back of the seat in front of you. This is all in coach 

Yes I use JB a lot.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:11 PM, Nymich said:

We were on Equinox last week and when we got on we noticed only 5 free movies and all others were $14.99.  We checked again mid week and they were all gone.  Called Guest Relations and they said broadcasting department said that the contract had ended and they would not be offering free movies in the cabins anymore fleet wide.   Please chime in if you are seeing the same or it was just poor service and communication on the Equinox.  Cheap move on this one imo if true.  I think it was Wednesday September 2nd that the movies were gone and I got this response from Guest Relations.   Anyone cruising right now let us know.  Thanks

This may be a stupid question, but is it $14.99 per movie, or per day to get the channel to watch movie?

15 hours ago, Kelowna Cruiser said:

Response received today from Celebrity One Touch after I expressed my opinion on Celebrity cutting 

in cabin on demand movies free of charge. They responded quickly.

Dear Mr. McWhirter:

Thank you for contacting Celebrity Cruises.

I am very sorry you are disappointed that we’ll no longer be offering free movies in our stateroom television line-up. Although in-stateroom movies will now only be pay-per-view, we want you to know that we’ll continue to show a good selection of new release films in the ship’s public areas, like in the theater and on our outdoor screens. Also, if you prefer to watch shows in the comfort of your own room, you’ll still have access to a variety of free TV channels. We hope you enjoy these viewing options when sailing with Celebrity.

We really appreciate that you’ve taken the time to share your thoughts regarding this recent change to our stateroom movies. Your feedback is extremely important to us, and we are carefully reviewing all comments being sent our way and sharing them with our operational teams.

Mr. McWhirter, we look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon.
Sincerely,

Heather DeVore
Celebrity Cruises

If Celebrity is doing this on all ships immediately, then that is truly unfair to those who are currently on board or who have made final payment already.  They removed something that was already paid for by the guests within their cruise fares.  They should give at least a 90 day notice for making such a change.  I don't really think that many will cancel their cruise over the free movie takeaway but they should be informed with sufficient advance notice.  Respect Your Customers.

34 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

If Celebrity is doing this on all ships immediately, then that is truly unfair to those who are currently on board or who have made final payment already.  They removed something that was already paid for by the guests within their cruise fares.  They should give at least a 90 day notice for making such a change.  I don't really think that many will cancel their cruise over the free movie takeaway but they should be informed with sufficient advance notice.  Respect Your Customers.

This is one of the things that pissed me off the most.  X pulled this stunt mid cruise on the Aug 31 Equinox sailing.

I agree with you on all points.  When X creates something they think is a big deal they advertise the heck out of it but when they CUT they do it in a sneaky way.   It will cost them it already has with us. Our my next 4 cruises unless we add another are NOT on X. 

Most of the bookings away from X are due in part to how they screwed up the balconies on the S class and we have booked one in the last week due to the cheap movie move.  We do put our money where our mouth is and I encourage people to do the same.

Don't get me wrong we are Elite and like a lot of things about X but we do not think they are consistently improving or even maintaining the product.  As they CUT we will too CUT on our dollars to X.  We do have a future cruise booking with X that we bought but time will tell if we use it.  Until then we will watch their corporate behavior closely.  

Edited by Nymich
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Nymich said:

some airlines offer free wifi not all

At a glance | Airlines that offer free in-flight Wi-Fi

• Emirates
  • Qatar Airways
  • JetBlue Airways
  • Norwegian
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Air China
  • China Eastern
  • Nok Air

Delta also ran a limited time pilot program a couple of months ago. They seem to be heading toward offering it fleet-wide, but appear to be studying logistics, bandwidth needs, etc.

I did notice on my recent RC cruise (two weeks ago) that they have no interactive TV.  This was on the Brilliance in the Baltic.  Is that on all RC ships?  Been 10 years since I sailed on RC.   At least on Celebrity you can look up your account and other info.  I do miss the news that had been available on interactive.

I was happy to see that ITV was showing on this sailing.  Previously on Celebrity all that was available was News, Sports and a lot of Celebrity channels.  On my April TA on the Reflection cruise the amount of free movies had dwindled.  And now there are none.  As for the cost of viewing a movie - I don't spend $14.99 to watch a first run at a theater.  This, however, is not a dealbreaker for me.  We will be on the Silhouette in December.  Since it is Caribbean, I will be out of my room often.

Just an observation from a very long time extensive cruiser.  I did not realize how naïve and "head in the sand" I was until reading this thread.  Had no idea that folks went on cruises to watch movies in their cabins.  I mentioned this thread to DW and she recalled that on far more then 1000 cruise days she can only recall watching one movie in our cabin (Kinky Boots).  Like many folks we have our own home theater set-up and that is where we prefer to watch movies (we might go to a movie theater once every 5 years).   Live and learn.    I hope that LLP reverses her decision on movies but I would not hold my breath.  Getting passengers to pay for movies will likely add to her annual bonus :(.

Hank

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 3:05 PM, Baron Barracuda said:

Had read somewhere on these boards that some pack a universal remote.  Pairing one with stateroom tv reportedly allows access setup screens.

I use to bring my Universal Remote and it worked as you described.   Recently on Summit post revolution and the new TV's no longer use infrared   I believe they are using RF and the TV's wouldn't recognize the Universal Remote.

• Thanks 1

I agree that this frustration is not just about the movies, but about the string of cuts (not improvements) made over the last few months, while continuing to raise prices. Celebrity claims they canceled the free movies because it was costing them too much money. Really? Holland America, by comparison, for a lower cruise cost, has improved their offerings, with new, large flat screens and a variety of recent movies, on demand, ALL FREE. Holland also offers nice included saunas - especially on their new ships, with windows to the sea. Celebrity took away the perfectly good saunas with ocean views on the M class ships, replaced it with really small interior ones and COMPLETELY ELIMINATED the included sauna on Edge and Apex, all in the name of upgrades. Who ever heard of a spa without some kind of whirlpool or jacuzzi? Edge and Apex spas have NOTHING with bubbles. Wow, great improvements - for MORE MONEY. Cut, cut, cut. Celebrity, your complete lack of appreciation for the quality of the customer experience is showing big time! 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Have they gotten rid of BBC World News as well? I really enjoy watching it. The US American cable news channels each have a definite left or right lean to them. I always make a conscious effort to get multiple perspectives as I watch news, but sometimes it's nice to watch a more unbiased channel like BBC World. I don't have BBCW at home, so I especially enjoy having it when we travel. If Celebrity have gotten rid of it as well as the included movies, that's another reason to lean toward Princess when other factors are equal. 

When on Summit a couple months ago they still had both ITV and BBC World.   

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Had no idea that folks went on cruises to watch movies in their cabins. 

Interesting. I have followed four threads in which the removal of included (nothing is free) movies is being discussed. I have not seen a single post that even remotely indicates that people go on cruises to watch movies in their cabins. I have seen dozens of posts where cruisers mention that they enjoy having movies in their cabins a a part of their cruising experiences. 

Our next cruise has six consecutive sea days and we have three more in the queue which also have numerous sea days. I imagine a movie or two might be a nice relaxing way to spend some of that time. It is definitely not the reason we booked the cruises. We do not attend movies in theaters, nor do we have the luxury of a home theater. We are just middle class folks who work hard, save hard, and invest hard so we can enjoy ourselves comfortably, sometimes by traveling. Occasionally those experiences include a bit of time to relax and enjoy a movie.

I must have missed the posts about people cruising to watch movies in their cabins. Maybe you can point them out to me? I'm always eager to learn, especially as someone fairly new to cruising. TiA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Just an observation from a very long time extensive cruiser.  I did not realize how naïve and "head in the sand" I was until reading this thread.  Had no idea that folks went on cruises to watch movies in their cabins.  ......

and some people go on holiday to sit at a bar and drink beer, wine and spirits (the same they could do at home) or queue to eat food at a buffet they'd probably pass and ignore at the local supermarket....

I suspect very few people actually go on holiday for the purpose of watching movies, many probably choose to  to while away a couple of hours in the late afternoon before evening meal, or to fill the "dead" time between evening meal and the late show in the relative peace and quiet of their cabin.

My wife and I currently each work about 60 hours a week - we currently don't want our holidays to be action packed food and booze filled partying.  

Edited by DYKWIA
  • Like 6

We also rarely go to movie theaters and don't have a home theater. We have found cruising a great opportunity to catch up on recent movies, especially during down time on sea days. I don't think anyone books cruises to watch movies - it is simply part of the overall cruise experience. We are not heavy drinkers and the spa is not our thing. Movies are a nice way to chill and you can stop and start them as time permits. 

• Like 8