Room occupancy?

Bob NC

We have a stateroom on deck 7 on the Breeze in January.

I went online and saw a room I would rather have on Lido deck, that wasn't available when I booked.

I called Carnival to see if I could switch rooms and the guy told me I could, but the occupancy for this new room is 4 and I will probably lose it if a party of 4 wants to book later.

What are my chances, really?

I cruise solo, and have occupied cabins designed for 2, 3, and 4 people.  I've never been bumped out of my cabin if someone with 1+ in their party wants the cabin.  Maybe I'm not understanding something here.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jonesbk said:

Once you are booked in a specific cabin, unless you booked a guarantee, I don’t think they can bump you unless you approve it (I think the sole exception to this are Accessible cabins).

That is my understanding.

2 hours ago, Bob NC said:

We have a stateroom on deck 7 on the Breeze in January.

I went online and saw a room I would rather have on Lido deck, that wasn't available when I booked.

I called Carnival to see if I could switch rooms and the guy told me I could, but the occupancy for this new room is 4 and I will probably lose it if a party of 4 wants to book later.

What are my chances, really?

Hi

As long as you understand, that they can move you, but they might not. 

Generally they wont allow you to book the cabin in the first place. 

If you get someone on the phone that is willing to make the booking for you and you don't mind the possibility of being moved, then go for it. Don't forget Lido deck is (for many) a preferred location. 

have a great cruise

7 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

As long as you understand, that they can move you, but they might not. 

Generally they wont allow you to book the cabin in the first place. 

If you get someone on the phone that is willing to make the booking for you and you don't mind the possibility of being moved, then go for it. Don't forget Lido deck is (for many) a preferred location. 

have a great cruise

That sounds like the correct answer .👍

• Like 1

This is very interesting, because I've taken 20+ solo cruises and never been bumped, only upgraded.  You would think a solo would be the most vulnerable to a bump.  Guess I've just been lucky.  I assume they won't bump you off the ship, only change your room and compensate you if it's a downgrade.

5 minutes ago, Roz said:

This is very interesting, because I've taken 20+ solo cruises and never been bumped, only upgraded.  You would think a solo would be the most vulnerable to a bump.  Guess I've just been lucky.  I assume they won't bump you off the ship, only change your room and compensate you if it's a downgrade.

It is stateroom location that matters most and no, there isn't any compensation.  What you consider an upgrade or downgrade is probably not the same as Carnival.  

8 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

It is stateroom location that matters most and no, there isn't any compensation.  What you consider an upgrade or downgrade is probably not the same as Carnival.  

If I was moved to a lower category of cabin it sure would be downgrade, and I would expect a refund of the difference or the equivalent in OBC.  Carnival and every other cruise line bases fares on categories, so how can they charge me for a 6A and put me in a 4A?

21 minutes ago, Roz said:

Hi

As you say, you could have been lucky.

I have never heard (I am sure anything is possible) of them downgrading passengers. They don't normally even allow people to do this if you ask them. If it did happen you normally would just have to call and they would fix the "mistake". Their process is normally to try and fill the most expensive cabin classes as quickly as possible. Hence the "upsell fairy".

Don't forget as a solo cruiser on Carnival you are almost always paying double for whatever cabin class you book. If you are in a cabin for two, there is no single cabin class to move you to.

There was a thread last month concerning this.  A older couple was taking the 8 year old granddaughter on a cruise and due to ship update , it changed the max number to 2 instead of three and Carnival didn't notify them so happen to see the change.

Can't recall the outcome perhaps someone can bump

3 hours ago, Roz said:

If I was moved to a lower category of cabin it sure would be downgrade, and I would expect a refund of the difference or the equivalent in OBC.  Carnival and every other cruise line bases fares on categories, so how can they charge me for a 6A and put me in a 4A?

Because they can according to the cruise contract,  any reason, any ship.

56 minutes ago, airlink diva said:

There was a thread last month concerning this.  A older couple was taking the 8 year old granddaughter on a cruise and due to ship update , it changed the max number to 2 instead of three and Carnival didn't notify them so happen to see the change.

Can't recall the outcome perhaps someone can bump

That was someone who booked on a ship not finished yet

7 minutes ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

but 6a to 4a is not a comparable cabin change. I would think they'd have to move you to at least another 6a to be considered a comparable cabin.

They don't have to move you to something comparable.  They just have to put you in a cabin.  They are most likely going to move you to something they think is comparable and they may sweeten the pot but according to the contract, they don't

18 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

They don't have to move you to something comparable.  They just have to put you in a cabin.  They are most likely going to move you to something they think is comparable and they may sweeten the pot but according to the contract, they don't

The part of the contract you posted said "reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom" so now you say they don't have to move you to something comparable. 4a is not comparable to 6a 

30 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

That's not what you posted earlier in the thread.<confused>

20 hours ago, canes20 said:

The part of the contract you posted said "reserves the right to move Guests to a comparable stateroom" so now you say they don't have to move you to something comparable. 4a is not comparable to 6a 

What you think is comparable it unlikely to be the same as the ship  You could be moved from a 4J to a 4B, both are interiors.  Another interior cabin comparable could move you from deck 1 to deck 2 (which they consider a upgrade)  and now under the galley.  You could be moved from midship balcony on Lido to aft balcony, still balcony.  

4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

What you think is comparable it unlikely to be the same as the ship  You could be moved from a 4J to a 4B, both are interiors.  Another interior cabin comparable could move you from deck 1 to deck 2 (which they consider a upgrade)  and now under the galley.  You could be moved from midship balcony on Lido to aft balcony, still balcony.  

4J would be comparable to 4B as they are both interiors but the question was if they could move you from cat 6 to cat 4 and those are not comparable even in the cruise lines eyes. They won’t move you from a balcony to an inside for instance. They can move you within a category or up a category but not down. ——Although maybe they could-they won’t.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:51 PM, KevInPitt said:

So Roz and Jonesbk say you can’t be bumped (or they haven’t been) but the terms and conditions posted by Elaine say it can happen.

Take the conflicting advice for what it’s worth knowing it could happen but likely won’t.

Basically, they think that their own personal experiences mean it can never happen. But that’s not true. In a case like this Carnival can and will move you to another room in the same category if one is available and they need your room for a larger party. This is why I never book a room with a capacity of more than 2. 

• Like 2