Itemised daily cost breakdown for cruise costs?

IndiaCruising

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:09 PM, Essiesmom said:

If the ship was operating as a ferry, such as the many ferries and cruise ferries in Europe, where everything is a la carte, it would be possible.  There, you pay for passage, perhaps an airline type seat is included, a cabin is extra, and food/drink are extra.  But a cruise ship is not a ferry.  It is offering a semi-inclusive product and they are not going to break it down for you.  EM

It's still not possible to do because most entertainment is included.

On 9/26/2019 at 7:51 PM, IndiaCruising said:

Hello cruise friends! I am currently searching for cruises and am very excited. However I have a slight issue. My company pays for the travel portion (eg airfare, train, etc) of my vacation but not food, amenities, etc. 

I’m struggling to get a cruise company to give me a price breakdown of the total fare. For example, if my total cruise fare is $5000 I need to know what part of that is the transport equivalent. Does anyone have experience getting this price breakdown from a cruise company?? Please help experts!! Thank you in advance 🙂

OP, I get where you're coming from and suspect that we might be working for a similar type of employer. My job will pay to get me home from an overseas job, but that's benchmarked to the airfare (often on a particular airline, route and ticket type.) While I could normally book something different (Drive or train versus flying, stopovers, etc.) and make them pay the airfare amount toward that while I paid the rest, it gets a little tricky when you're talking about food, etc. being added in, because they're not allowed under our travel policy to pay for those things for more than like, the one day it would take me to get home while flying.

I've never been asked to provide the cost breakdown on my own before, so I assume someone in my organization has some fuzzy math that they do to figure this out. Another option would be to subtract your company's food, meals, etc. and lodging per-diem rates from the fare, and presume that everything else is transport which I suspect is ultimately what my job does. It means that they end up usually paying much less for the cruise that they would for equivalent airfare, but something is better than nothing.

I also have to take vacation days for all the time I'm in transit that exceeds normal flight times, which is as it should be.

On 9/26/2019 at 12:51 PM, IndiaCruising said:

Hello cruise friends! I am currently searching for cruises and am very excited. However I have a slight issue. My company pays for the travel portion (eg airfare, train, etc) of my vacation but not food, amenities, etc. 

I’m struggling to get a cruise company to give me a price breakdown of the total fare. For example, if my total cruise fare is $5000 I need to know what part of that is the transport equivalent. Does anyone have experience getting this price breakdown from a cruise company?? Please help experts!! Thank you in advance 🙂

I agree that you are not going to get this type of information from any cruise line in the detail that you are asking for. Either use a proxy to estimate the transportation cost, i.e. the cost of a flight from London to Miami as a proxy for a transatlantic cruise or see if your employer will accept an incredibly accurate estimate of the transportation portion of your cruise fare from your friends at Cruise Critic. 

I've run the numbers; double and triple checked them; had my CPA, Louis Tully, (Who you gonna call) go over them with a fine-tooth comb and, lo and behold, $4,750 of your $5,000 cruise fare is for transportation and therefore eligible for reimbursement from your company.  You are very welcome.  😉

Our bill is in the mail.

3 hours ago, SimplyMarvie said:

OP, I get where you're coming from and suspect that we might be working for a similar type of employer. My job will pay to get me home from an overseas job, but that's benchmarked to the airfare (often on a particular airline, route and ticket type.) 

Again, this assumes that the OP is traveling to or from a business related function and is looking at a one way (re-positioning) cruise as their method of transport.  As the OP has provided absolutely no information whatsoever to support any of that, any such response remains pure speculation.  They only indicated that it is a vacation and that - for some reason - their employer would reimburse some impossible to determine amount of their expenditure. 

But if your assumption was the case, as you indicate, the only likely reimbursement available would be that based on the least expensive comparative method of travel available (airfare, train, etc.) v a cruise - the rest would be on the OP.

Again, IMO this is a bogus thread and as there has been absolutely no follow up from the OP, they are probably just enjoying watching all this unfold.......

And I, for one, am now done with it.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Again, this assumes that the OP is traveling to or from a business related function and is looking at a one way (re-positioning) cruise as their method of transport.  As the OP has provided absolutely no information whatsoever to support any of that, any such response remains pure speculation.  They only indicated that it is a vacation and that - for some reason - their employer would reimburse some impossible to determine amount of their expenditure. 

But if your assumption was the case, as you indicate, the only likely reimbursement available would be that based on the least expensive comparative method of travel available (airfare, train, etc.) v a cruise - the rest would be on the OP.

Again, IMO this is a bogus thread and as there has been absolutely no follow up from the OP, they are probably just enjoying watching all this unfold.......

And I, for one, am now done with it.

There are certain vacations that also qualify for reimbursement -- rest and recuperation trips, etc. and would be reimbursed along the same lines, so the fact that the OP said "vacation" rather than "work" doesn't seem odd to me. 

What does seem odd to me is that you're so angry about someone asking a (possibly stupid) question on a board for people to ask questions that you felt the need to post a four paragraph discussion about how you're taking our ball and going home rather than presuming positive intent and just scrolling on by...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, SimplyMarvie said:

What does seem odd to me is that you're so angry about someone asking a (possibly stupid) question on a board for people to ask questions that you felt the need to post a four paragraph discussion about how you're taking our ball and going home rather than presuming positive intent and just scrolling on by...

Not angry at all - just trying to convey my opinion about the merits of the thread and responding to the different comments.  Not taking your ball - just no longer interested in the thread (other than to try to clarify my comment in view of your post).  And as mentioned before, no offense intended - we can just agree to disagree.

But remain curious why the OP hasn't come back at all to assure the positive intent....

Well, this has been enlightening. Thanks to the many responses. A few notes from me: 

1) Many of you were right. I contacted cruise companies and none are able to provide the breakdown I would need to provide my employer. I've decided not to do the cruise option and now am a little smarter on vacation-making. Thanks!

2) Yes this was a serious post and question. There are indeed employers (including the U.S. federal government) who will pay for portions of a vacation. You may not like it but it is what it is. 

3) Sorry I didn't respond fast enough to some of the doubtful (and vitriolic) responses. I know you felt like you wasted time responding to a board post. You didn't. I read each of your posts with joy.

4) The cruise community is an emotional roller coaster. The genuinely helpful responses were great! The snarky, oddly bitter ones were amusing but make me question why you're surfing a cruise website board when it clearly upsets you. You should relax. Maybe...take a cruise? 

All best my friends,

OP

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, IndiaCruising said:

Well, this has been enlightening. Thanks to the many responses. A few notes from me: 

1) Many of you were right. I contacted cruise companies and none are able to provide the breakdown I would need to provide my employer. I've decided not to do the cruise option and now am a little smarter on vacation-making. Thanks!

2) Yes this was a serious post and question. There are indeed employers (including the U.S. federal government) who will pay for portions of a vacation. You may not like it but it is what it is. 

3) Sorry I didn't respond fast enough to some of the doubtful (and vitriolic) responses. I know you felt like you wasted time responding to a board post. You didn't. I read each of your posts with joy.

4) The cruise community is an emotional roller coaster. The genuinely helpful responses were great! The snarky, oddly bitter ones were amusing but make me question why you're surfing a cruise website board when it clearly upsets you. You should relax. Maybe...take a cruise? 

All best my friends,

OP

As I clearly questioned the intent of your thread I would like to thank you for returning to offer some clarity.  Obviously I felt as though many of the responses were speculative as I, at least, did not have what I thought was enough information to understand the request or answer accurately, and felt many of the responses were speculative as a result. 

To me the your original question did seem vague and with your lack of responding further made met think that your post may not, in fact, be genuine.

But I stand corrected and appreciate your feedback.

Cost revenue breakdown for operating a cruise ship - https://cruisemarketwatch.com/financial-breakdown-of-typical-cruiser/

For a average cruise fare of $1293, fuel costs $193.

Food costs $107.

But not breakdown of crew cost by job.

Even a tougher call, if lodging is not paid, striping out the cost of the cabin from the other costs.

The Department of Defense allowed 'reconstructed travel reimbursement'.  For example, suppose you wanted to drive your car instead of the customary flying.   Essentially, the DoD calculated the cost of travel by air and you submitted your actual costs.  DoD would reimburse your actuals up to, but not exceeding, the cost of air travel.  

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The Department of Defense allowed 'reconstructed travel reimbursement'.  For example, suppose you wanted to drive your car instead of the customary flying.   Essentially, the DoD calculated the cost of travel by air and you submitted your actual costs.  DoD would reimburse your actuals up to, but not exceeding, the cost of air travel.  

That would be OK as long as the extra time to drive isn't considered work time.  

7 hours ago, SRF said:

Cost revenue breakdown for operating a cruise ship - https://cruisemarketwatch.com/financial-breakdown-of-typical-cruiser/

For a average cruise fare of $1293, fuel costs $193.

Food costs $107.

But not breakdown of crew cost by job.

Even a tougher call, if lodging is not paid, striping out the cost of the cabin from the other costs.

Interesting. For the average 7 day cruise the TA's commission is double the cost of three squares a day.  I would not have thought the food cost was managed that well.  Actually, I'm impressed.