Passport Problem

Jann5723

Hi,

We are planning to book a cruise for early January for 2 weeks.  Just realized that our passports expire in mid February.  I'm wondering if we should try to renew them before we go, or is that necessary?  I'm worried about sending them in and not getting it done in time (although we would be willing to pay the extra money to expedite things).  I'm wondering if there are any restrictions as to how much time you have before your passport expires when you go on a cruise.  Really don't want to book a cruise without having a passport at hand, but we can't wait too long to try to book, either.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Jann 

I would think you would need to renew. And as of your time limit, might check into expediting then. Just my opinion. You will need new photos also. Check online or ask others how long the wait has been. But get started now! 

• Like 1

You need to renew them NOW.  You have to have a valid passport that is good for 6 months AFTER your return to get on the ship.  .  You should have no problem getting it done by January.  Forms are available on line.  All you need to do is have your pictures made, send them in with the passport renewal forms and, of course, a check (lol).  They will most likely be returned within a couple of weeks--a month maximum. 

I can't tell you how many of my clients that I have caught not doing it.  It is to the point that I ask them to send me a copy of their passport to make sure they are o.k.  It doesn't hurt to have a copy on file for a back up for them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Tucker in Texas said:

You need to renew them NOW.  You have to have a valid passport that is good for 6 months AFTER your return to get on the ship.  .  You should have no problem getting it done by January.  Forms are available on line.  All you need to do is have your pictures made, send them in with the passport renewal forms and, of course, a check (lol).  They will most likely be returned within a couple of weeks--a month maximum. 

I can't tell you how many of my clients that I have caught not doing it.  It is to the point that I ask them to send me a copy of their passport to make sure they are o.k.  It doesn't hurt to have a copy on file for a back up for them.

If you are a travel agent you are not a good one. Only some itineraries require a passport good for 6 months after. The typical cruise out of a US port only requires a valid passport. Some don’t require a passport. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Supposed to have at least 6 months left on them when you cruise.

It is a cruise line thing.

Better get them renewed.

Wrong. It is not a cruise line thing. Some countries require that there be six months left. Most cruises from North America don’t require 6 months left. 

31 minutes ago, Jann5723 said:

Hi,

We are planning to book a cruise for early January for 2 weeks.  Just realized that our passports expire in mid February.  I'm wondering if we should try to renew them before we go, or is that necessary?  I'm worried about sending them in and not getting it done in time (although we would be willing to pay the extra money to expedite things).  I'm wondering if there are any restrictions as to how much time you have before your passport expires when you go on a cruise.  Really don't want to book a cruise without having a passport at hand, but we can't wait too long to try to book, either.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Jann 

It depends on your itinerary. Some countries require 6 months or 3 months left. Those are generally in Europe or Asia. If your cruise is a typical Caribbean cruise leaving from a US port and returning to a US port a valid passport is fine. Some US cruises only require a birth certificate. You do have time to renew your passport if the cruise is in January. Don’t panic. You can book the cruise. If you do need the six months you have time to renew. 

Edited by Charles4515

39 minutes ago, Jann5723 said:

Hi,

Jann 

If your passport expires within 6 months from the end of you cruise, you need to renew your passport.

This past Spring I used a passport on a Mexican Riviera cruise from LA followed by a cruise to Vancouver that was a couple of weeks from expiring.  I confirmed on the State Department website that for Mexico & Canada passports are valid until the expiration date.  It’s been my experience that other countries can have the valid for six months restriction.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/requirements.html

I sent my passport in for renewal in June 2019 and had a new passport within the month.  Here are the current renewal estimates from the State Department’s website.

372DE531-B41B-494B-ADA2-A163826FB69A.jpeg

• Like 1

My wife and I both just renewed our passports. Mine was expiring and hers wasn't being accepted by Princess as it wasn't good for a long enough period after our upcoming cruise. We downloaded the forms, filled them in, and took them to the post office. They took the picture and sent them in as priority mail. It took a few weeks to get the new passports back. I think my wife's actually took maybe 5 weeks. Mine was faster. It does take longer to get your old, expired passport back but who cares about that time frame?

4 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

They don’t enforce it when six months is not required. 

12 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Keith...they didn’t enforce a 6 month restriction for our Spring B2B cruises to Mexico & Canada from LA because neither country has the 6 month restriction.

Thanks Frank. 

I just renewed a passport using the expedited service (priority mail, etc.).  Got the new passport back in 9 days including shipping in both directions.  Just get the renewal and you won't have to worry about the 6 month rule.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jann5723 said:

Hi,

Jann 

You should renew them now even if you do not yet have a cruised book.  I cannot even imagine that a renew sent in on Oct 1 would not be returned in three months, but you can pay for the expedited service if you are more comfortable.

i suggest that you do not delay as others are debated the finer points of requirement.  

3 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Princess enforces it. 

I went on a cruise out of Fort Lauderdale last year to the Caribbean with my passport expiring just a few days after my return. The lady at check in just did a double check on it to confirm I was back before it expires and it was fine.