Vero Water

spindrift

Can someone please explain what this new policy is regarding water stations and the term "Vero Water." And the issue of a single water bottle?  I'm not sure this is a factual report, so I would like to query those knowledgeable from Cruise Critic.

From Oceania's website:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/media/2019/OCEANIA+CRUISES+TO+ELIMINATE+PLASTIC+WATER+BOTTLES+IN+PIONEERING+GREEN+INITIATIVE+-+Partnership+With+Vero+Water+Will+Save+More+Than+Three+Million+Plastic+Bottles+Per+Year/

We've not been back on O since its Vero rollout so I can't comment on actual onboard implementation.  However, we've been on Regent...  and on the Navigator they are using Vero for filtered water in the suites.  They refill heavy glass bottles daily.  As of last month, the Navigator had not started the onshore/excursion Vero rollout.  We'll be back on O in November so will see for ourselves how things are going.

Edited by RJ2002

We were on the Marina this June with the Vero water in our stateroom.  Plastic water bottles were offered for shore excursions.  The system was fine, no issues whatsoever although I had misgivings.  The plastic straw ban is another issue that hasn’t been satisfactorily resolved.

24 minutes ago, shank63 said:

The plastic straw ban is another issue that hasn’t been satisfactorily resolved.

Well, it's better for the environment and you may have read my and others posts about bamboo ones.

2 hours ago, tropicalkerry2002 said:

On Regatta now. Vero in cabins and at restaurants. Sparkling water still in usual bottles in GDR. Disposable plastic bottles for on shore.

Riviera has the refillable glass bottles, purified Vero system water (still and sparkling) in all restaurants and in cabins. It is also possible to get bottled Perrier and Pellegrino water. Plastic disposables still used for excursions/port visits.

2 hours ago, clo said:

Hopefully they'll stop that.  Perhaps leave every pax a reusable bottle in the cabin.

No, hopefully they will continue the ability to take plastic bottles ashore. Major sanitation issue and convenience factor. Would not want to limit amount of sanitary water to one reusable container for all day excursions in hot climates.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, edgee said:

No, hopefully they will continue the ability to take plastic bottles ashore. Major sanitation issue and convenience factor. Would not want to limit amount of sanitary water to one reusable container for all day excursions in hot climates.

I have a medical issue that gives me a very dry mouth.  My reusable water bottle holds almost a liter and that will last me all day in 100 degree, 95% humidity weather.

Interesting topic, but unless O ships take on a significant amount of shore water, I doubt anyone would find much difference in the Vero water from what was previously served in the dining venues.  Essentially all the Vero system will do is remove the chlorine and calcium carbonate that is added to the ship's water for sanitizing (done previously at dining and bar venues using a simple carbon filter) and refrigerating the water.  Sounds like a lot of hype and expense for not much benefit.  Be interesting to see how they handle cleaning the bottles.

• Like 2

Two large Vero bottles of water were in the stateroom  We don't drink much water and so I was not sure this water was "fresh" each day.    This was on Nautica last month.   Small plastic bottles were offered to take off the ship when on tour.

As a side issue.............  I took my own small bottle on board and transferred the Vero into it to take on tour to avoid the plastic issue.       Inevitably I left this bottle on board  😥     so a new bottle has been purchased for next time.   J     

My daughter and I will be on the Riveria the end of October, so I guess I'll learn about this then.  Still a bit confused about their procedure.  Should we take our own water container for filling?

And someone mentioned straws.  we just started bringing our own, but I note that I am beginning to see the old fashioned paper straws we used to use.  Don't know why they don't use those, and those can be recycled.

We, sadly, don't go cruising for slightly over a year, so I suspect that they will be using refillable water bottles to take ashore.  We have a couple of sets, one of which was from our trip to the Galapagos seven years ago.  I think it is about time that they switched from the disposable bottles ashore as well as at sea.

As for the water source, I am likely thinking along the same lines as Chegkp75, and I suspect that the ship is still going to make its own water, and then for a final step perhaps running it through the Vero system.  Though it did not have a brand name associated with it, ship-made water was already about as pure as it can get.  But people are still people and will likely be prone to accept the brand name with the latest addition to the process.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, spindrift said:

My daughter and I will be on the Riveria the end of October, so I guess I'll learn about this then.  Still a bit confused about their procedure.  Should we take our own water container for filling?

And someone mentioned straws.  we just started bringing our own, but I note that I am beginning to see the old fashioned paper straws we used to use.  Don't know why they don't use those, and those can be recycled.

They give you glass bottles for the cabin instead of those  plastic  bottles & are replaced/refilled  daily

They so far are still giving out  plastic single  size  bottles of water for taking ashore

Eventually they will phase those out & supply you with a reusable bottle to take ashore

There were some photos  in a thread of the VERO bottles for in cabin use

18 hours ago, clo said:

Hopefully they'll stop that.  Perhaps leave every pax a reusable bottle in the cabin.

Hopefully they will stop re using bottles in the cabins.  I want a new fresh bottle of water, not one that someone else used already.  This whole thing is a crock of you know what. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hopefully they will stop re using bottles in the cabins.  I want a new fresh bottle of water, not one that someone else used already.  This whole thing is a crock of you know what. 

But the glasses, cups, plates, flatware, etc. in the GDR and everywhere else including room service have all been used already.  What's the difference?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, RJB said:
17 hours ago, clo said:

I have a medical issue that gives me a very dry mouth.  My reusable water bottle holds almost a liter and that will last me all day in 100 degree, 95% humidity weather.

So your standard of adequacy should apply to everybody? With plastic bottles people have a choice to carry enough to meet their needs and without the hassle of having to schlep an empty bottle back to the ship.

Edited by edgee
Brevity

5 minutes ago, clo said:

But the glasses, cups, plates, flatware, etc. in the GDR and everywhere else including room service have all been used already.  What's the difference?

I am pretty sure I have read that you are not supposed to reuse the plastic bottles that bottled water come in. I am not familiar with the reusable water bottles Oceania uses for Vero water. Hopefully they can be sanitized like flatware and dishes through the dishwashing cycle. If not-ewww.

49 minutes ago, RJB said:

I so agree with you. But the foolish politically correct way Oceania is going, that will not happen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cotto22 said:

I am pretty sure I have read that you are not supposed to reuse the plastic bottles that bottled water come in. I am not familiar with the reusable water bottles Oceania uses for Vero water. Hopefully they can be sanitized like flatware and dishes through the dishwashing cycle. If not-ewww.

You can always take your own refillable water bottle, then you know that it is yours and only yours and fill it either from the tap in your bathroom -- cruise ship water is extremely pure -- or you can find a place where the provide the Vero water that you can use to fill your refillable water bottle. 

I suspect that it is a matter of time until you see plastic, one-use bottles phased out generally, so be ahead of the curve and start helping the environment now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, clo said:

OMG this link contains scary nanny state rules of San Francisco. Goes way beyond prohibiting plastic straws. If imposed in most other places Nationwide backlash to such management of our lives would be overwhelming. So sad that some want to over control lives of others for the sake of feeling self rightous but not making any kind of significant difference.

When Oceania used to charge for bottles of water  we used to take our our reusable water bottles  & wash out nightly

For me it was not a big deal  but I must admit the single use bottles were easier  & we could leave the empty ones ashore in the recycle bins or garbage 

YMMV