Run over by a scooter

crazyank

We had an issue with a lady years ago.  We were in the rain waiting to get on the ship in a port.  They had a tent at the bottom of the gangway.  She came out of nowhere and rammed my friend.  She turned around and said excuse me.  The lady said "I am on a medication that I can't be out in the rain".  My friend said " please tell me what medication it is.  I am a doctor but have never heard about any drug like that"

I won't tell you what I would do if she pushed into the back of me.    I normally hold the elevator door and many time have asked people to wait so the person could get out.   The majority of scooter people are good.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I must have run into the same woman (or her twin) about eight years ago. 

Same use of the scooter to push her way through. Numerous comments by passengers about her bad behavior. The final straw came when we were all on line to enter a show. She kept nudging me from behind with the scooter to move me forward (the line was not moving as the doors were not yet open).

I asked her to stop several times. She kept doing it. The final time she did it, I whirled around, removed the key and told her to pick it up at Guest Services. I  left my sister to hold the space in line, ran to Guest Services and turned in the key (told them I had found it).

Go ahead, blast me. I already heard it when I posted this story several years ago. But if one does not correct bad behavior, it doesn't stop.

Sounds to me like a great idea.  I would have considered walking outside and slipping and having the key fall overboard on the way to guest services though.  Alternatively, you didn't say WHEN you would take the key to guest services!  So many options, so little time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, crazyank said:

During our most recent cruise my wife was injured when she was hit by a scooter.   Three broken toes were the result when her foot was run over by the rear wheel.

Normally we would just call this an unfortunate accident. But,  there were numerous complaints about the woman driving this scooter.  Bumping people from behind and yelling at them to get out of her way,  bashing her way to the head of the line in various places.  Backing out of elevators without looking.  In our case she came up behind my wife, started screaming "move aside!" and before my wife could step aside the woman accelerated and ran over her foot.   We immediately asked for help and a team of crew members took my wife to the medical services.  $600 in fees,  several cancelled excursions,  and a lot of pain!  Security was notified and told us all they could do was caution the woman.  We confronted her (security was with us) and she refused to admit what she had done and of course refused to pay any of the medical expenses.

In the end we were lucky, our insurance covered the medical care fees and lost excursions.

This is not the first time we've seen people injured by rude scooter drivers.  We're wondering what, if anything can be done about this, and how others would have handled this situation?

6 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Don't know that the OP could have handled this situation much differently.

However the cruiseline really dropped the ball.  Crew/staff "having a talk" with the driver is not satisfactory.  If the line permits mobiliy devices onboard, the line assumes significant liability and responsibility.  At a minimum, ALL charges incurred by the OP should have been either added to the offender's account or absorbed by the line.  At the extreme, the line should have restricted the scooter use to inside the cabin.  I suppose the line could have debarked her and her scooter  next port.

Unless you made a complaint to a supervisor or officer yourself, I wouldn't assume anyone actually did.  Talking about other inconsiderate guests with other guests doesn't constitute a complaint so it is possible it was the first time it was brought to the attention of security.

I would have taken video.

11 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Unless you made a complaint to a supervisor or officer yourself, I wouldn't assume anyone actually did.  Talking about other inconsiderate guests with other guests doesn't constitute a complaint so it is possible it was the first time it was brought to the attention of security.

If Mrs. Dawg got three toes broken by a Scooter driver and the first thing I did, instead of comforting her, was whip out my phone to video her pain,  I'd end up with five broken toe and two broken ....... ah...... family jewels.  😬

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, pms4104 said:

Don't know that the OP could have handled this situation much differently.

However the cruiseline really dropped the ball.  Crew/staff "having a talk" with the driver is not satisfactory.  If the line permits mobiliy devices onboard, the line assumes significant liability and responsibility.  At a minimum, ALL charges incurred by the OP should have been either added to the offender's account or absorbed by the line.  At the extreme, the line should have restricted the scooter use to inside the cabin.  I suppose the line could have debarked her and her scooter  next port.

I agree.  Seems to me the cruise line really did drop the ball, or more accurately wimped out.  This was not much different than any other physical assault.  If it were a fist or foot instead of a tire I doubt all they would do is talk to the person.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

They notified security. Security dropped the ball by apparently not telling her she would be dealt with if reported again. And complaining “higher up” cannot force security to do something when she denied it. Did the OP say they discussed this with other guests?

Video what? The incident already happened and the driver denied everything. I think the immediate concern would be to treat the injury.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Same use of the scooter to push her way through. Numerous comments by passengers about her bad behavior. The final straw came when we were all on line to enter a show. She kept nudging me from behind with the scooter to move me forward (the line was not moving as the doors were not yet open).

I asked her to stop several times. She kept doing it. The final time she did it, I whirled around, removed the key and told her to pick it up at Guest Services. I  left my sister to hold the space in line, ran to Guest Services and turned in the key (told them I had found it).

Go ahead, blast me. I already heard it when I posted this story several years ago. But if one does not correct bad behavior, it doesn't stop.

Your my hero, perfect response, seen a few issues like this on princess which seems to have a huge amount of scooters . 

On one cruise there was a husband and wife that both used scooters.  Did they really need them? - not sure.  But the rule is that they have to be stored in cabins.  Well, this couple left both of theirs in the hall and charged them there.    I know there was a person that unplugged them everytime he went past.

There was another time that Crooners had a very popular entertainer and he packed the room every night.  One lady in a scooter went early every night and parked the scooter along the rail.  Three people could have stool where it was parked - or she could have sat in it or if she really could not walk far, have a friend take it to a location that did not block prime a viewing area.    Next time I will look for the key.    hee hee

OH - so many stories!!!!

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

They notified security. Security dropped the ball by apparently not telling her she would be dealt with if reported again. And complaining “higher up” cannot force security to do something when she denied it. Did the OP say they discussed this with other guests?

Video what? The incident already happened and the driver denied everything. I think the immediate concern would be to treat the injury.

Agreed, I suppose you could video the damaged toes, but I am not sure what good that would do.

I am a scooter user.  I have muscular dystrophy and have been using a scooter for the last four years  I have never ever hit anyone but I have been driving one for years.  I have been hit by able bodied people. They walk right into me.   I don't think people see me because I am in a lower field of vision.  

I think part of problem is people rent one maybe once a year.  They don't practice.  They also put it on full speed.  That is ridiculous on a crowded ship.  

This woman gives us experienced scooter users a bad name.  

• Like 6

3 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

The OP notified security after the incident not before.  If she was a hazard to other guests before she injured someone, did the OP witness someone reporting her or did themselves report her before was the question.   

"But,  there were numerous complaints about the woman driving this scooter."  To who?  Too many times, "everyone" says doesn't mean anyone actually did other than talk among themselves and expect crew to confront a badly behaving guest.

If "everyone" knew she was a hazard, I would have videoed that before not after. If no one had complained directly to GS or an Security Officer ahead of time that she was going to hurt someone by her actions then of course, they are going to write it off as an accident.  Public areas have cameras

4 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

If Mrs. Dawg got three toes broken by a Scooter driver and the first thing I did, instead of comforting her, was whip out my phone to video her pain,  I'd end up with five broken toe and two broken ....... ah...... family jewels.  😬

Why would you be videoing your wife?

43 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why would you be videoing your wife?

I guess because videoing a  lady riding away on a scooter or videoing the stage show wouldn't really convey the seriousness of the accident. 

But, I have sat through a few stage shows on cruise ships that have curled my toes to almost the breaking point. 🤔

Edited by DirtyDawg

3 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

The OP notified security after the incident not before.  If she was a hazard to other guests before she injured someone, did the OP witness someone reporting her or did themselves report her before was the question.   

"But,  there were numerous complaints about the woman driving this scooter."  To who?  Too many times, "everyone" says doesn't mean anyone actually did other than talk among themselves and expect crew to confront a badly behaving guest.

If "everyone" knew she was a hazard, I would have videoed that before not after. If no one had complained directly to GS or an Security Officer ahead of time that she was going to hurt someone by her actions then of course, they are going to write it off as an accident.  Public areas have cameras

Really hard to notify security before the incident happens. OP did not say they had heard any comments about her BEFORE his wife was struck. Quite possible that is when a few people in the area made comments, and he reported it.

If public areas have cameras, why would guests need to video other guests. Usually those things happen rather quickly anyway. One would need to stalk people with camera at the ready to catch them doing something they want to video and report?

Most people are too busy trying to enjoy their cruise.

• Like 2

Last cruise on Princess a “lady” ran over my toes with her scooter.  I immediately brought this to her attention, expecting a sorry or some type of apology.  What I got was oh did I? As she zoomed away.  Same lady used scooter everywhere except theatre, she liked to sit in front row,  she would walk down the stairs and back up again, no problems. Go figure,

Shame one or two scooter people give others a bad name.  Most users are courteous and careful.

My daughter thinks when you get a scooter you get an entitlement.  I can do whatever I like.  Lol.

Unfortunately there are rude people that cruise, some of these may be on scooters and run over and crush people's toes, others may not, but can still crush our feelings.

IMO, rudeness is like bully ing, it should not be tolerated but not to the detriment of your holiday. Say something if you want or must (damage done), report it to crew if needed but remember to maintain your own peace and mind or your trip will be ruined.

9 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Last cruise on Princess a “lady” ran over my toes with her scooter.  I immediately brought this to her attention, expecting a sorry or some type of apology.  What I got was oh did I? As she zoomed away.  Same lady used scooter everywhere except theatre, she liked to sit in front row,  she would walk down the stairs and back up again, no problems. Go figure,

Shame one or two scooter people give others a bad name.  Most users are courteous and careful.

My daughter thinks when you get a scooter you get an entitlement.  I can do whatever I like.  Lol.

We saw same thing several scooters were parked in back of theater also princess but years ago, again have no problem with people using them , just a few bad apples giving them a bad name. 

34 minutes ago, GrJ Berkshire said:

Maybe not PC , but I do worry re the safety of people on scooters, if there was an emergency how would they move about without lifts and if the decks were at an angle !! Equally the ability of some to use tenders or the gangplank worries me.

I remember one cruise down the west coast.  We noticed so many walkers, scooters, canes,etc.   and  we wondered if there were really enough crew to get everyone off the boat.   There was a gentleman across the hall and we told him to knock if there was anything he needed day or night and said we were there if there was an emergency.

On 9/29/2019 at 4:50 AM, crazyank said:

During our most recent cruise my wife was injured when she was hit by a scooter.   Three broken toes were the result when her foot was run over by the rear wheel.

Normally we would just call this an unfortunate accident. But,  there were numerous complaints about the woman driving this scooter.  Bumping people from behind and yelling at them to get out of her way,  bashing her way to the head of the line in various places.  Backing out of elevators without looking.  In our case she came up behind my wife, started screaming "move aside!" and before my wife could step aside the woman accelerated and ran over her foot.   We immediately asked for help and a team of crew members took my wife to the medical services.  $600 in fees,  several cancelled excursions,  and a lot of pain!  Security was notified and told us all they could do was caution the woman.  We confronted her (security was with us) and she refused to admit what she had done and of course refused to pay any of the medical expenses.

In the end we were lucky, our insurance covered the medical care fees and lost excursions.

This is not the first time we've seen people injured by rude scooter drivers.  We're wondering what, if anything can be done about this, and how others would have handled this situation?

We we're on the Explorer of the Seas in June for a Baltic Cruise and had a similar experience.  There were many people with scooters on that cruise and most operated them well, while some others exhibited really poor judgement/behaviour.  My DW and I left the Royal shop on the Promenade and my wife was run over by a woman in a scooter.  It was bad enough she ran over my wife's foot but then she proceeded to yell at her that she was in her way.  Her companion/husband also started yelling at my wife until I gave them both a piece of my mind and they scampered off.  My wife's foot was very red and swollen.  Fortunately she didn't have any broken bones.  We reported the issue to the Customer Service Desk.  We should have taken a picture of the woman and her husband for the crew to reference but didn't think of it at the time.  Like I said there were quite a few people on ship with scooters for this cruise and most behaved well.   However, we've noted that the number of scooters on ships has gone up significantly.  I'm glad people are able to travel and enjoy going on cruises but believe now is the time for cruise lines to put in place requirements/behaviours for people driving scooters so that everyone can enjoy their cruise.   

On 9/29/2019 at 4:50 AM, crazyank said:

We we're on the Explorer of the Seas in June for a Baltic Cruise and had a similar experience.  There were many people with scooters on that cruise and most operated them well, while some others exhibited really poor judgement/behaviour.  My DW and I left the Royal shop on the Promenade and my wife was run over by a woman in a scooter.  It was bad enough she ran over my wife's foot but then she proceeded to yell at her that she was in her way.  Her companion/husband also started yelling at my wife until I gave them both a piece of my mind and they scampered off.  My wife's foot was very red and swollen.  Fortunately she didn't have any broken bones.  We reported the issue to the Customer Service Desk.  We should have taken a picture of the woman and her husband for the crew to reference but didn't think of it at the time.  Like I said there were quite a few people on ship with scooters for this cruise and most behaved well.   However, we've noted that the number of scooters on ships has gone up significantly.  I'm glad people are able to travel and enjoy going on cruises but believe now is the time for cruise lines to put in place requirements/behaviours for people driving scooters so that everyone can enjoy their cruise.   We hope that your wife has fully recovered.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:47 PM, Homosassa said:

Outrageous. Completely inappropriate. Turning in the key. 😉

It's a big ocean.  There's lots of metal down there already.  One more little piece won't hurt the eco-system too much. Quick stroll to the rail and a key overboard. Can you jump start a scooter? 

Edited by K32682