Last off ship

75Vette

We are diamond and always do self assist to avoid standing in line for an hour getting off the ship. However, on our sailing next month on the Magic, we plan on spending an extra night in Fort Lauderdale - would like to stay up late the last night and sleep in the next morning.  We have several hours to kill before checking into our motel.  I know we need to be out of our cabin around 8:30.

Has anyone ever talked to your cabin steward about leaving your luggage in the closet and picking up around 10:00:?  Or is there someplace you can leave your luggage as we would like to get our daily hours walk in..

Also, can you walk around the promenade deck or the jogging track for an hour?

How late can you eat breakfast in the main dinning room?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Linda

22 minutes ago, 75Vette said:

We are diamond and always do self assist to avoid standing in line for an hour getting off the ship. However, on our sailing next month on the Magic, we plan on spending an extra night in Fort Lauderdale - would like to stay up late the last night and sleep in the next morning.  We have several hours to kill before checking into our motel.  I know we need to be out of our cabin around 8:30.

Has anyone ever talked to your cabin steward about leaving your luggage in the closet and picking up around 10:00:?  Or is there someplace you can leave your luggage as we would like to get our daily hours walk in..

Thanks.

Linda

Out of your cabin means out of your cabin.  After 8:30 am, the doors are opened and the halls filled as stewards are rushing to turn over rooms.  They don't need or want guests still traipsing through.  Crew ending their contracts or just having some time off can't depart until all guests including and B2Bs are cleared out.  The B2Bs can't be cleared until the other guests are off.  

Put your luggage out the night before, have breakfast and then  when they start make last calls to depart, depart.

You can mosey up to lido with your luggage till they make last call and casually exit the ship. That will usually be around 10am. You can't leave your luggage in your cabin as the stewards need them clear so they can turn the ship for the next guests. To add to your cardio why not roll them with you around the track as you are doing laps.

• Haha 1

Thanks Finoky for your courteous helpful response and unassuming position to the question.

Pulling the luggage would  definitely add to our cardio.

We have always been among the first ones off the ship usually around 7:30 a.m.  - sure didn't mean to cause such a stir - really didn't know what passengers did until their time to debark - that's why I ask.

Guess we will be the first ones off the ship.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 75Vette said:

Thanks Finoky for your courteous helpful response and unassuming position to the question.

Pulling the luggage would  definitely add to our cardio.

We have always been among the first ones off the ship usually around 7:30 a.m.  - sure didn't mean to cause such a stir - really didn't know what passengers did until their time to debark - that's why I ask.

Guess we will be the first ones off the ship.

Thanks again.

Just put your luggage out the night before. We are also Diamonds and we are never in a hurry to get off the ship. We go to Lido, have a leisurely breakfast and wait till the majority of the passengers have disembarked.

Pat

5 minutes ago, quickrate said:

Just put your luggage out the night before. We are also Diamonds and we are never in a hurry to get off the ship. We go to Lido, have a leisurely breakfast and wait till the majority of the passengers have disembarked.

Pat

I'd second this.
We always let them drag our luggage down and just take our carry on bag with the essentials.
Sometimes we have a nice little breakfast before disembarking while letting the crowds thin out, other times we get off asap so we can hit a nice spot for breakfast on the way back home.

As long as you are out of your room and they are serving, I don't see any need to be "the first ones off". 
Just be considerate and respectful of their need to turn around for the guests boarding at 11, and enjoy your morning!

• Like 1

Thank you for asking this question, I will be in the same situation next April after a cruise out of Galveston on the Vista. I just booked airfare and our return flight does not leave until 3:45 from Hobby. There are 5 in our party, including our 6 year old grandson so spending 5+ hours at the airport is not enticing. 

Thanks for the replies, I am booking a round trip shuttle so will choose the 11 To 11:30 port departure. I will have the family put out all our bags except backpacks and duffles for valuables the night before. We will leave our rooms at the time required and hang out on the Lido deck for breakfast until last call. We’ll grab our luggage and get out of the way if we have extra time before our shuttle. 

I have scouted Hobby and they have at least one sit down restaurant where we can have a nice lunch after checking our luggage. If I am missing something please chime in, thanks! 

Edited by LaRue1975

Regardless of the cruise line, we always go to the MDR for breakfast on the morning of departure.  It is much more relaxing than fighting the crowds in the buffet with bags.  Unless a flight is involved, we usually get off the ship around 10 am and usually there are still a few people still on board.

Edited by mek

We have purposely gotten the highest number luggage tags on quite a few occasions because we want to be the last off. Personally, I think it would be very rude to ask your steward if you can leave your luggage in the closet simply because you don’t want to check your luggage. They have enough going on that morning that they shouldn’t be asked to be responsible for your luggage (since the door to the room won’t be locked, so it won’t be secure). 

That said, check your luggage and enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. We love to do this while everyone else is stressing to get off the ship ASAP. Then we usually find a nice place to sit while we wait for “last call” off the ship. I’m sure you can walk around the track instead if you want. I don’t see why they would close it. 

as far as sleeping in fogetaboutit, it is so loud starting around 7, even with ear plugs. We never leave the same day and are usually in the last group leaving. The best part is when you go to the luggage area, your bags are the only ones left. Around 10am they make the last call

• Like 1

13 hours ago, coevan said:

as far as sleeping in fogetaboutit, it is so loud starting around 7, even with ear plugs. We never leave the same day and are usually in the last group leaving. The best part is when you go to the luggage area, your bags are the only ones left. Around 10am they make the last call

Exactly what we do. 

Pat

Another vote for leaving your luggage out in the hallway the night before and just keeping with you a small carry on to walk off the ship with. Then finding a quiet spot after a leisurely breakfast to kill time until last call for debarkation or until you’ve had enough, whichever happens first.

I’ll echo what others have said. There’s no “sleeping in”. We’ve had the same thoughts as you before but the cabin stewards make it blatantly clear that they want you out. They start knocking on your door, and some go from being your best friend for a week to a cold faced stranger annoyed by your presence. 

The closest we’ve come to last call was on the Sensation since we didn’t have any flights to catch or any plans after the cruise. We ate breakfast, walked around, and then found a spot on the lido deck to relax. But after a while we said “this is dumb, let’s just go”. When we saw everybody leaving, and the whole place basically shutting down, we lost interest in spending any extra time onboard. 

Edited by Tapi

14 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Diamond guest that I know have told me this.

They get extra time in their cabins at the beginning of the cruise- they can go straight to their cabin rather than waiting til about 1:30.  But not at the end.  At the end, the rooms are cleaned pretty quickly and methodically, having random cabins staying later would mess with that.  

13 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

We have purposely gotten the highest number luggage tags on quite a few occasions because we want to be the last off. Personally, I think it would be very rude to ask your steward if you can leave your luggage in the closet simply because you don’t want to check your luggage. They have enough going on that morning that they shouldn’t be asked to be responsible for your luggage (since the door to the room won’t be locked, so it won’t be secure). 

That said, check your luggage and enjoy a leisurely breakfast in the MDR. We love to do this while everyone else is stressing to get off the ship ASAP. Then we usually find a nice place to sit while we wait for “last call” off the ship. I’m sure you can walk around the track instead if you want. I don’t see why they would close it. 

This. No need to be huffy about the responses and decide you need to be off the ship at 7. Simply ask for the latest numbers for your luggage and put it out the night before. Much more convenient for you and everyone else than trying to leave it in your cabin or schlep it around with you all morning. You can still take your time getting off.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 4:06 PM, 75Vette said:

Thanks.

Linda

While you're trying to kill a few hours there's a few thousand waiting for you so they can get onboard and start their vacation.

3 hours ago, Lottacruises said:

While you're trying to kill a few hours there's a few thousand waiting for you so they can get onboard and start their vacation.

Waiting for last call is fine if you are near or at the gangplank when that happens. It is just rude to be lounging at the furthest most point on the Lido deck and then casually stand up and gather your things and amble to the exit.

I don't think that what I"m about to say has been discussed...maybe it has & I overlooked it. If so, my apologies.

The primary reason that Carnival wants guests to debark as quickly as we can, is because the entire staff & crew of the ship is working feverishly to make ready for the next set of passengers waiting to embark, and they cannot begin until everyone is off the ship. Remember, while you are waiting to debark, there's a few thousand passengers waiting to embark. Time is of the essence for the staff and crew of the ship. And any delays could possibly mean a delay for the ship to sail, which I'm sure is very costly to the cruise line.  Just my opinion. YMMV.