Am I the Only One?

tip

1 minute ago, Mike45LC said:

I am under the impression that even with the Medallion, there is no "alert" for messages. 

Let's put this into perspective.  We are all now walking around with the "Model T" of Medallions.  The future is a Ferrari and technology like this moves at the speed of light.  No telling what features will be active in 6 months. 12 months.  18 months.   Two years in tech is a literal lifetime. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dog said:

Thanks, tailspintom.

Appreciate hearing about your experience.

My concern is about my cabin door being unlocked before I am standing in front of it and I am not sure if this is accurate, but I do not want other passengers seeing where I am. (female, alone sometimes)

I hear you Dog.  My wife and I tried a bit of an experiment with the Medallions.  Her's seemed to open the cabin door a bit earlier than mine.  So we held back in the passageway and she walked up and the door clicked open, I would say some 15 feet from the door. Mine took about 5 feet. Mache nichts for us. But it is you that needs to feel comfortable, so go the way that you feel safe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dog said:

My concern is about my cabin door being unlocked before I am standing in front of it and I am not sure if this is accurate, but I do not want other passengers seeing where I am. (female, alone sometimes)

3 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

People may think that their whereabouts are private matters, but when you are out and about in a public venue, not so much.  The cruise line very much wants to know where you have been, what services you have availed yourself of, how long you spent at the pool, how many bars you visited.  None of this is state secret information when you are a paying customer consuming their product.  You have no expectation of privacy when you walk into an MDR.  It's not as if you can whisper to the head waiter that you don't want anyone to know you are there. 

When I stay in a hotel I expect them to not give out my room number or where abouts. Same for a cruise.

I know the cruiseline is using it as a marketing tool. They are out for our money. And yes, I agree the MDR, POOL etc are public areas. Isn't it great that we still have the option to opt out?  dog

8 minutes ago, dog said:

Thanks, tailspintom.

What makes matters even worse is if you happen to lose your Medallion, anyone that finds it can go directly to your cabin without your knowledge. 

That can't happen with the cruise card. 

We still like the Medallions and no your door won't open before you get there. 

Just now, dog said:

When I stay in a hotel I expect them to not give out my room number or where abouts.

The Medallion does not give out your room number to anyone who does not already have it.  As for your whereabouts, your hotel key does give out certain information.  You just don't think about it.  Ever use your hotel key to activate the elevator?  Big Brother knows when you entered the elevator.  Ever use your key to open the door to the Business Center, Pool or Gym?  Big brother knows what facilities you used.  This tech is all around us.  It's only getting better and faster and more precise.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

What makes matters even worse is if you happen to lose your Medallion, anyone that finds it can go directly to your cabin without your knowledge. 

They can't go directly to your cabin. They would have to walk the length of every corridor hoping to get lucky to find the door that opens. You can do the same with a cruise card. Sliding it in every lock. Or in the "old" days look at the name on the card and walk from door to door looking at the name plates.  Same difference new technology.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tailspintom said:

I hear you Dog.  My wife and I tried a bit of an experiment with the Medallions.  Her's seemed to open the cabin door a bit earlier than mine.  So we held back in the passageway and she walked up and the door clicked open, I would say some 15 feet from the door. Mine took about 5 feet. Mache nichts for us. But it is you that needs to feel comfortable, so go the way that you feel safe.

Thanks. I appreciate hearing from you.  dog

6 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Does the Medallion have your name, cabin number written on it?  I appreciate hearing from you. dog

3 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

The Medallion does not give out your room number to anyone who does not already have it.  As for your whereabouts, your hotel key does give out certain information.  You just don't think about it.  Ever use your hotel key to activate the elevator?  Big Brother knows when you entered the elevator.  Ever use your key to open the door to the Business Center, Pool or Gym?  Big brother knows what facilities you used.  This tech is all around us.  It's only getting better and faster and more precise.

I appreciate the fact that it is for some and not for others. Thanks for your input. dog

Ocean Medallion has just begun.  The best way to look at the Medallion is as a platform off you you hang functionality.  It represents foundation infrastructure. The Medallion is constantly interfacing with the ship IT systems which allows the capability to do far more than the card ever allowed.   I think it is far too early too judge, give it 2-5 years to see how it turns out.

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, dog said:

Thanks, tailspintom.

Another thing to be concerned about is the fact that your OM will unlock your door from inside your cabin as well. Get it too close to the door and the lock will snap off. For this reason I would advise you to remove the OM from around your neck when you walk inside and store it on the far side of your cabin when inside.

Tom

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, shanecindy21403 said:

They can't go directly to your cabin. They would have to walk the length of every corridor hoping to get lucky to find the door that opens. You can do the same with a cruise card. Sliding it in every lock. Or in the "old" days look at the name on the card and walk from door to door looking at the name plates.  Same difference new technology.

46 minutes ago, dog said:

Thanks. I appreciate hearing from you.  dog

Does the Medallion have your name, cabin number written on it?  I appreciate hearing from you. dog

I appreciate the fact that it is for some and not for others. Thanks for your input. dog

Although the Medallion doesn't have your cabin number printed on it all you have to do is go to the display board on any floor near the elevator banks & it'll give you the exact cabin location (with directions if needed).

If one of the new apps has an option to disable this feature it's news to me since I haven't had much luck with the Android app version yet.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tip said:

Am I the only one who is questioning the value of the ocean medallion program?   I don’t find the need to have all the latest technology at hand 24/7.  Yes, it may save a minute or two here and there, but what other value does it really have?  It would seem that you would be more apt to lose it than you would a key card.  Of course Princess would be more than happy to sell you a special wrist band or lanyard at an additional charge.  As for using your cell phone, we turn it off and lock it in the safe as soon as we call our loved ones to let them know we are on board safely.

I've been saying this for a couple years now, and haven't changed my opinion:

Ocean Medallion is not for us pax, it's primarily for reduced operating costs (especially in man-overboard scenarios) and secondarily for more sales opportunities.  The hype is to get us to wear the thing.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Haboob said:

primarily for reduced operating costs (especially in man-overboard scenarios)

Man-overboard scenarios cannot possibly occur frequently enough to support the introduction of a multi-billion dollar initiative.  I don't doubt that accounting for the whereabouts of passengers is made easier through OM.  But the cost savings associated with the electronic accounting system times the number of situations each decade that this is necessary cannot possibly move the financial meter.    

Edited by JimmyVWine

19 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Although the Medallion doesn't have your cabin number printed on it all you have to do is go to the display board on any floor near the elevator banks & it'll give you the exact cabin location (with directions if needed).

If one of the new apps has an option to disable this feature it's news to me since I haven't had much luck with the Android app version yet.  

It didn't work that way for me. When I walked up to the displays I had to scan my medallion and to get any personal information like my cabin, account or whereabouts of my grand daughters I had to enter my pin I choose when I setup my ocean apps. 

• Like 4

If there's only one thing besides opening my door I would like to see is to have them be to locate the inconsiderable shi....s who show up late for the immigration walk through on B2B trips, it would be worth the money. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, shanecindy21403 said:

It didn't work that way for me. When I walked up to the displays I had to scan my medallion and to get any personal information like my cabin, account or whereabouts of my grand daughters I had to enter my pin I choose when I setup my ocean apps. 

Of course you have to first hold up the Medallion to the sensor but as of maybe 4 or 5 weeks ago the board was still providing the cabin location to anyone holding the sensor. No pin needed. 

If it has changed then they've fixed a major flaw with their system.👍

I'll be checking it our for myself very soon. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

People are really simplifying the Medallion program down to just having a device that is used to open their door.  It is much more then that and we love Medallion ships because we think the technology really enhances our cruising experience on Princess ships.  We especially love the faster internet speeds.  

This issue kind of reminds me when my parents first received an ATM card from their bank.  They could not figure out why you would need a card to go to a machine and withdraw money when you could go into the bank and have their favorite bank teller do it.  According to them the ATM machine could and should not be trusted and too much could go wrong.  I never knew them to withdraw money from an ATM as long as they were alive!

My wife's stepfather refused to use an ATM as he didn't trust them not to steal his information of money. However, he had no problem at all handing his credit card to some person working in a restaurant who would take it in the back and run it through the little machine to make a paper receipt that, of course, contained his full card number.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, tip said:

Am I the only one who is questioning the value of the ocean medallion program?   I don’t find the need to have all the latest technology at hand 24/7.  Yes, it may save a minute or two here and there, but what other value does it really have?  It would seem that you would be more apt to lose it than you would a key card.  Of course Princess would be more than happy to sell you a special wrist band or lanyard at an additional charge.  As for using your cell phone, we turn it off and lock it in the safe as soon as we call our loved ones to let them know we are on board safely.

I totally agree and if we had a choice - I’d get the key card.

We lock our cell phones up too.  No need to use them for their apps.

Interesting  how they sell wrists bands, bracelets and necklaces for the Medallion.

Don't  need anything special for the key card..... hmmmm

Edited by dcruisers
Misspelling
  • Like 1

Yes - I need yet another thread about wanting to go back to the horse & buggy days, freaking electricity, internet, cable TV, it all sucks. Give me a nice fireplace, and, having to go hunt & pick berries every day to survive!!! Those were the days!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

If you ordered your OM and received it via FedEx your name will have been imprinted on it and on the ship the name of the occupants of each cabin are located next to the cabin door. Or at least that was the way it was on the Royal a couple of months ago. I suppose if a person really wanted to get in your room after finding your OM he or she could walk down the passageway and listen for the lock to snap open and if all else fails you can simply look at the names next to the door.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

If you ordered your OM and received it via FedEx your name will have been imprinted on it and on the ship the name of the occupants of each cabin are located next to the cabin door. Or at least that was the way it was on the Royal a couple of months ago. I suppose if a person really wanted to get in your room after finding your OM he or she could walk down the passageway and listen for the lock to snap open and if all else fails you can simply look at the names next to the door.

Have you cruised with a Medallion?

Names by the door?

1 hour ago, Colo Cruiser said:

Have you cruised with a Medallion?

Names by the door?

Yip! On the Royle in August everyone was named inside the cabin, even our 12 year old granddaughter. Which was an OM ship. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

Yip! On the Royle in August everyone was named inside the cabin, even our 12 year old granddaughter. Which was an OM ship. 

Can the passenger remove their names from next to the door?

37 minutes ago, dog said:

Can the passenger remove their names from next to the door?

Yes. The first person I spoke to at guest services said not, but the second removed my name from the screen with a few keystrokes on his computer. 

The old paper entryway nametags were my bookmarks. Now I have to use the time zone change reminder card.

• Like 1