Dinner in stateroom

dodger1964

On Celebrity, you can order dinner from the Main Dining Room and have it delivered to your room.

If in a suite they can serve it to you course by course...if in any other type room, they just bring it all at once.

You can order anything on the MDR menu.

Does Princess offer something similar?

Thanks for help.

6 minutes ago, dodger1964 said:

On Celebrity, you can order dinner from the Main Dining Room and have it delivered to your room.

If in a suite they can serve it to you course by course...if in any other type room, they just bring it all at once.

You can order anything on the MDR menu.

Does Princess offer something similar?

Thanks for help.

If you are in a full suite you can order from the full DR menu. Ask your cabin steward for the menus. If you are in any other category cabin you can only order from a room service menu. 

If you are in a full suite on Princess, they will deliver from the MDR menu during normal MDR hours. Make sure to tell the room steward you will need the menus before each meal. It is delivered all at once. They only issue is cold desserts. We just eat them first or put them in the mini-fridge. 

We order dinner many times during our cruises.  We have learned to order by the course and have found it works much better to insure foods are the correct temperature BUT it ends up costing a lot more in tips.   Make sure you order at least 15 minutes  before the dining room closes.   We seem to come back to the room for lunch and then realize it is 1:25.   They stop serving at 1:30.

15 minutes ago, compozer said:

We order dinner many times during our cruises.  We have learned to order by the course and have found it works much better to insure foods are the correct temperature BUT it ends up costing a lot more in tips.   Make sure you order at least 15 minutes  before the dining room closes.   We seem to come back to the room for lunch and then realize it is 1:25.   They stop serving at 1:30.

In a suite, right Sandy?

Full suite can order from MDR. Other cabins can order Room Service or can order Ultimate Balcony Dinner. These days any cabin lower than Premium Balcony doesn't have a second chair or an in-cabin table to eat on. I'd rather not have to eat on the bed.

5 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You could do a "balcony dinner" or a "balcony breakfast".

The dinner is very nice with LOTS of food. The price is comparable to eating in a specialty restaurant.

These are special dining experiences. Dinner is $100 for two. On the Crown Princess Crown Grill, Sabatini's or the Crab Shack dinners are $29/pp.

The balcony breakfast is $45 for two. There are no specialty restaurants serving breakfast.

Price wise balcony dining is much more than specialty restaurants. They are a nice treat.

Dodger, the Ultimate Balcony Dinner is, arguably, one of the best dining experiences on Princess.  The thing I just love about it is that there are two servers dedicated just to you.  Before we tried it I was a bit nervous about having servers hovering over us while we were eating.  However, there are no worries, there.  The servers leave the room for you to dine at your leisure, and, magically, reappear when you are ready for the next course. 

I understand Thrak's opinion that if you are in a standard balcony cabin, and outdoor weather or sea conditions make it impossible or just difficult to dine on the balcony, the fact that the cabin has only one chair may be unappealing.  We have found that bringing one of the balcony chairs into the cabin works just fine.

I also understand the opinion that there is "too much to eat."  I agree that it is a full meal.  Personally, I do not eat lunch--neither on a cruise nor at home.  While I am quite full after a UBB, the only thing that we have never finished is the plate of petit fours that comes at the end.  We, typically, take a few days to polish them off.

Have a great cruise.

We love the UBD.   But we always feel bad that they stay in the hall so we always invited them to stay in the cabin and they can watch tv while we are on the balcony.  One time I asked the head guy is he would like a drink.  he said yes - vodka.  He was off when he was down with us.      So I got a glass and asked when  - 3/4 full - he liked his vodka.  It was funny because when we went to the Crown Grill the next time, our favorite waitress knew all about it.   He was her boy friend.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dodger1964 said:

We are in a regular balcony.

Then the only room service food you can have is going to be from the room service menu which is in the room folio on the desk.

Room service selections are limited, but pretty tasty.  You can purchase Ultimate Balcony Dining, which is not inexpensive, but is served course by course.  Others have commented on how great it is, and I agree.

If you book a suite then the room service selection opens up to be whatever the MDR is serving that day, but only available during MDR operational hours (notably because that is when the MDR kitchen is open).  Other suite dining options include Club Class in the MDR, which is a good excuse to leave your cabin and go to the dining room.