Which Side When Doing The Suez Canal

harfield

We are seriously considering doing a possible Grand Cruise on possibly the Regal Princess leaving from London or Rome through to Singapore a 28 or 38 day cruise. One question, is there a better side of the ship to be located on for seeing the canal. Also does anyone know is there much to see while cruising through the Canal. There are a lot of sea days as well but the itinerary looks great  for 2020 but looking 2021 around October it departs at this stage. Any tips and suggestions for this trip would also be great.

Many Thanks in advance

Edited by harfield

Southbound - when going from Southampton / Rome to Singapore - the starboard western side in the Suez Canal is the most interesting. There is plenty to see.

The eastern port side is mostly Sinai Desert which is still Egypt - not Saudi Arabia as many on Sapphire Princess thought in Oct. 2018.  That side you also see the northbound conoy passing.

We had bush fire smoke most of the early part of the transit as far as the lakes.

Photo #1 - passing traffic in new by-pass near Ismailia.

#2 - Great Bitter Lake.

The Suez Canal is now a two-way operation & the southbound convoy no longer anchors in the GBL.

1-Suez by-pass Ismalia.JPG

2-Suez - Gt.Bitter Lake.JPG

I agree that the western side is ‘more’ interesting.  But just marginally so; I would not make my cabin selection based on that factor.  If you are mobile, there is plenty of opportunity to capture the view (such as it is) from both sides of the public decks.  Our best photos were of Port Tawfiq at sunrise (we went north) and the later sandstorm approaching that enveloped everything in minutes.

8 hours ago, harfield said:

We are seriously considering doing a possible Grand Cruise on possibly the Regal Princess leaving from London or Rome through to Singapore a 28 or 38 day cruise. One question, is there a better side of the ship to be located on for seeing the canal. Also does anyone know is there much to see while cruising through the Canal. There are a lot of sea days as well but the itinerary looks great  for 2020 but looking 2021 around October it departs at this stage. Any tips and suggestions for this trip would also be great.

Many Thanks in advance

We are doing this voyage in 2020 from England (nothing published yet for 2021).  We didn't have to worry about a side because we book Inside cabins.  😎.  It has an interesting attraction for the timing as Dubai is hosting a World's Fair beginning in late October.  We are going to "jump ship" for several of the sea days around that port stop to have additional time in Dubai.

Edited by steelers36

9 hours ago, harfield said:

Many Thanks in advance

We are doing the Rome to Singapore itinerary next month on the Sapphire, Nov 10-Dec 7. I won’t be blogging live because of limited internet minutes, but if you want to email me after the trip I’d be more than happy to share my thoughts and some photos. My email is in my signature. 

5 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

When I sailed through the Suez Canal i spent almost all my time at the front - in a public area. You get to see both sides and where you are headed. Much better than a balcony...and cheaper 😀

I agree with this post.  There are things to see on both sides of the Canal.  The small towns, the ferries that cross the waterway, the bird houses, the military installations, the barges docked along the West side of the Canal for Egypt's use if they wish to block the Canal, etc.  It's an experience like none other.  If the ship's staff provides commentary, as it did when I sailed on the Amsterdam, it makes the experience that much more special.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 12:21 PM, frugaltravel said:

When I sailed through the Suez Canal i spent almost all my time at the front - in a public area. You get to see both sides and where you are headed. Much better than a balcony...and cheaper 😀

While we've never been thru the Suez Canal, we've been thru the Panama Canal multiple times and in both directions.  I agree with the above advice!  One time while going thru the P.C. I sat in the "window well" in our Plaza Deck cabin as we were lowered in one of the locks just to see what it was like (and to enjoy the a.c. <g>), otherwise I've always been roaming the ship for different views.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Grand is doing it in April 2021.  Lots of variations ending in Southampton. 

Right.  The reverse of Regal trip in fall 2020.  It didn't come up when I did a search before and hence my remark, but I see it now after your note.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:20 AM, idahospud said:

We are doing the Rome to Singapore itinerary next month on the Sapphire, Nov 10-Dec 7. I won’t be blogging live because of limited internet minutes, but if you want to email me after the trip I’d be more than happy to share my thoughts and some photos. My email is in my signature. 

We are on that cruise also.  Are you on the roll call?