Let's talk salt

Saint Greg

19 hours ago, deadmoney said:

My cardiologist would smack me for even looking at all those options🙂

You WILL NOT be cursed to use your choice for the rest of your life.   I am guessing you are on vacation...splurge for the night!!  Besides...there probably is more salt on the carrots in the MDR anyways.  LOL    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

@crewsweeper What's the black salt called? Is it healthy for you? Which salt is the healthiest?

All are primarily sodium chloride.   Differences in taste due to coming from different sources.  Slight difference in other mineral content. Black salt is from volcanic salt stone salt. Black salt and Himalayan salt are not processed.  But even so contain very very little of anything else than sodium chloride.  It would take over 4 tablespoons of Himalayan salt to give you just 6% of the  daily recommended  iron you need. far above any recommended salt intake for anyone.

On 10/14/2019 at 4:03 PM, Palmetto Pilot said:

I've heard it's the best salt but it's very expensive. 

We use Himalayan Pink Salt at home, so that is what we choose on board.  It is really not that expensive.  I just bought 5 pounds of it for $8.99 last week.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2019 at 5:03 PM, Palmetto Pilot said:

I've heard it's the best salt but it's very expensive. 

Actually, there are no studies that have ever correlated pink salt to be healthier for people.  There are trace elements of many other minerals in the pink salt, but not nearly enough in it to make any kind of difference in health.  It's not worse than regular salt, just there's really no difference.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Surrealistic said:

Hmnn........never been offered a salt choice and we've eaten at the steak house just about every cruise.  Does it matter what you order?

It may be something new. They had it on Vista in Feb and Glory in August. I never ate in the steakhouse before Vista so being offered a salt choice is all I know. But I was offered it on Vista both times (surf n turf and filet) and on glory (cowboy steak).

1 hour ago, buckeyefrank said:

Actually, there are no studies that have ever correlated pink salt to be healthier for people.  There are trace elements of many other minerals in the pink salt, but not nearly enough in it to make any kind of difference in health.  It's not worse than regular salt, just there's really no difference.

I don't know about studies, but my BIL just had open heart surgery and the doctor told him the only salt he can use is the pink sea salt. My son also has high blood pressure and his doctor told him the same thing.

Funny, I had been passively reading this thread a few minutes ago, and just now, this article popped up in my Google news stream thingy:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-pink-salt-took-over-millennial-kitchens?utm_source=pocket-newtab

All you never wanted to know about the gimmick that is Pink Salt.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

I don't know about studies, but my BIL just had open heart surgery and the doctor told him the only salt he can use is the pink sea salt. My son also has high blood pressure and his doctor told him the same thing.

I'm not being argumentative, just presenting something to think about.  I was actually referring to the pink himilayan salt that a lot of people tout as being much healthier.  That has not shown to have any additional health benefits by any study that I have found.  History is full of scientific "facts" that have later been proven to be wrong, misleading or outright false.  For example, doctors believed bloodletting was a good thing for disease in the middle ages.  Another example is that nutritionists even today aren't sure what level of salt to recommend on a daily basis.  The fact is that everyone is different and they can't even say that if you reduce salt intake it will reduce blood pressure.  

Their doctor could be recommending sea salt for a variety of reasons.  Maybe the doctor just doesn't want refined salt or salt with iodine in it, which most table salt has.  Honestly, though most of the salt intake we get is through the food itself and not added after.

2 minutes ago, ShakyBeef said:

Funny, I had been passively reading this thread a few minutes ago, and just now, this article popped up in my Google news stream thingy:

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-pink-salt-took-over-millennial-kitchens?utm_source=pocket-newtab

All you never wanted to know about the gimmick that is Pink Salt.

Funny how that works.

14 minutes ago, buckeyefrank said:

I'm not being argumentative, just presenting something to think about.  I was actually referring to the pink himilayan salt that a lot of people tout as being much healthier.  That has not shown to have any additional health benefits by any study that I have found.  History is full of scientific "facts" that have later been proven to be wrong, misleading or outright false.  For example, doctors believed bloodletting was a good thing for disease in the middle ages.  Another example is that nutritionists even today aren't sure what level of salt to recommend on a daily basis.  The fact is that everyone is different and they can't even say that if you reduce salt intake it will reduce blood pressure.  

Their doctor could be recommending sea salt for a variety of reasons.  Maybe the doctor just doesn't want refined salt or salt with iodine in it, which most table salt has.  Honestly, though most of the salt intake we get is through the food itself and not added after.

Gottcha.  I really don't have a dog in this fight.  I use what is ever on the table which is not much.  That being said, the hubs likes the pink salt.  Don't think it's for "medicinal" purposes, he just likes it.

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1000 said:

Gottcha.  I really don't have a dog in this fight.  I use what is ever on the table which is not much.  That being said, the hubs likes the pink salt.  Don't think it's for "medicinal" purposes, he just likes it.

Fair enough.   I use whatever's available as well.  I can't argue there's not a taste / texture difference though.  I'm sure there is.

• 2 months later...

I’m a little more confused about the salt thing now. On Magic I ate at the steakhouse three times. I had the wagyu, the ribeye, and the lobster. They never gave me a salt choice. I thought “maybe they don’t do that on this ship.” But on my lobster night, they gave the table two tables down from me a salt choice for their steaks. So now I’m wondering if it’s only for certain steaks? That doesn’t make sense. Maybe some servers do it and others don’t want to bother with it? I don’t know.