Veggie entrees at Steak House?

Bookster99

My wife loves the steak house. I am currently vegetarian. Technically, "Lacto-Vegetarian" I eat cheese. Anyway, we are going to the steak house the first night. I wondered what vegetarian entrees they might offer up. Let me first say, I am completely unconcerned: There is a long extensive list of sides that will fill me up completely. However, a giant portabello mushroom "steak" might be an amazing entree. On their  actual menu, there is no vegetarian entree listed at all. When i emailed guest services, they told me that's all handled on the ship and could provide no real guidance ahead of time. 

So, to repeat, I am sure it will be an amazing experience. However, since I have the collected wisom of cruise hive mind at my disposal, has anyone out there requested a vegetarian entree from the steakhouse? What did they do for you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tm_aw_love said:

There isn't a specific vegetarian friendly entree on the menu; however, if you speak to the Steakhouse Manager in advance, I am sure that they would be able to make some sort of accommodation for you. 

I'm sure they will. I have no doubt! Just curious what other people may have experienced.

I do this every cruise - usually twice!  The steakhouse has the best vegetarian experience on the ship.  First, I do make note when I make my reservation that I'm a vegetarian.  Then, when we get aboard, I go to the steakhouse and have the hostess make a note of it.

Every time I've done this, once we're seated,  a chef has come out to ask me what I'd like to eat.  They make me something WONDERFUL and in a portion that is much more than I can ever eat.  I've had pasta, risotto, grilled vegetable plates, etc.  Sometimes, I do just like a baked potato with some of the other sides.  When I've told the chef I just want a baked potato, they seem disappointed - I think they like preparing something different.

One thing I've never gotten is the amuse bushe (sp?) - those are set up before hand and the waiters aren't as familiar with vegetarianism as the chefs are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, fabby50 said:

I do this every cruise - usually twice!  The steakhouse has the best vegetarian experience on the ship.  First, I do make note when I make my reservation that I'm a vegetarian.  Then, when we get aboard, I go to the steakhouse and have the hostess make a note of it.

Every time I've done this, once we're seated,  a chef has come out to ask me what I'd like to eat.  They make me something WONDERFUL and in a portion that is much more than I can ever eat.  I've had pasta, risotto, grilled vegetable plates, etc.  Sometimes, I do just like a baked potato with some of the other sides.  When I've told the chef I just want a baked potato, they seem disappointed - I think they like preparing something different.

One thing I've never gotten is the amuse bushe (sp?) - those are set up before hand and the waiters aren't as familiar with vegetarianism as the chefs are.

Awesome! Thank you.

2 hours ago, coevan said:

FYI, all vegetarians eat cheese, Vegans do not. My wifes a veggie and loves Portobello Melt. 

No, lacto vegetarians eat dairy.  Vegetarians do not. Vegan is a different term that encompasses a lifestyle, not just eating habits.

To get really technical, a lacto vegetarian doesn't eat eggs. That would be a lacto ovo vegetarian.  Your wife is a lacto ovo vegetarian most likely.

These terms do mean something, as certain religions follow strict guidelines.  For example, allowing dairy but not eggs.  This is common in India.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BNBR said:

No, lacto vegetarians eat dairy.  Vegetarians do not. Vegan is a different term that encompasses a lifestyle, not just eating habits.

To get really technical, a lacto vegetarian doesn't eat eggs. That would be a lacto ovo vegetarian.  Your wife is a lacto ovo vegetarian most likely.

These terms do mean something, as certain religions follow strict guidelines.  For example, allowing dairy but not eggs.  This is common in India.

I just like it because it's easier then saying I'm vegetarian but I eat cheese.

I know some vegans who eat one of the UNhealthiest diets on earth.

Beer, French fries, potato chips, and Oreo's are some of their main staples.

I am a vegan and have not had any problem with the food on the Carnival ships I have been on. Still not brave enough to try one of their veggie burgers. If they finally make a good black bean burger, I'm in.

• Like 2

I have just a few questions that fall into the realm of just curious:

I wonder if anyone has ever gone to a vegan/vegetarian restaurant and insisted that they be served a steak?

Will vegan/vegetarian establishments have a steak on hand to accommodate those who want meat?  If not, why not? Vegans/vegetarians seem to be offended when veggie burgers are not available at a burger stand or other food establishments where the serving of meat is a specialty of the restaurant as implied by their name  (steak house, BBQ, burger grill, chicken place, etc.).

As I said, just wondering as I see many threads about wanting vegetarian/vegan fare in on board locations that are geared to meat.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I wonder if anyone has ever gone to a vegan/vegetarian restaurant and insisted that they be served a steak?

Will vegan/vegetarian establishments have a steak on hand to accommodate those who want meat?  If not, why not? Vegans/vegetarians seem to be offended when veggie burgers are not available at a burger stand or other food establishments where the serving of meat is a specialty of the restaurant as implied by their name  (steak house, BBQ, burger grill, chicken place, etc.).

As I said, just wondering as I see many threads about wanting vegetarian/vegan fare in on board locations that are geared to meat.

This post is quite rude. I haven't heard anyone on this thread, or really on this board in general demand that they be served something in particular due to a dietary restriction. It's generally posts like this where the poster knows what is on the menu and is perfectly fine making due with what is one the menu but simply asking if there are off menu options. Asking and insisting are not the same thing. Especially considering this isn't a restaurant where they have a particular menu with cooks who are trained to cook it and they only source their menu items. This is a cruise ship where there are stores for a great number of items, and other kitchens on the ship where they are cooking many other menu items. It's not unreasonable to simply ask what the options are.

• Like 5

Many of us cruise with family members that have different dietary needs than ourselves.  It's nice to be able to eat together in different venues.  My husband loves his filet, I am a vegetarian.  Would I go to the steakhouse if I was cruising on my own?  No.  Do I want him to miss out on his beloved filet because he's cruising with me?  No.  I am perfectly content on other lines that only offer the side dishes to vegetarians - I've had many meals of a baked potato and steamed asparagus (or other veg).  My husband calls me his "cheap date".  I love that Carnival goes a step beyond that - it's a selling point for me.  I've never insisted on having or become offended by the lack of a veggie burger and I don't think I've seen a post where any other veg head has either.  Disappointment maybe.  Most of us roll with the punches, we're used to it.

Edited by fabby50
additional comment
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Homosassa said:

You aren't as clever as you think you are.  Common sense would suggest that meat eaters tend to eat non-meat items as well.  It doesn't go both ways.  Your argument is invalid and fails.  Would you like to try again?

• Like 1

Of course common sense would suggest that a meat eater would enjoy vegetarian fare in a vegetarian establishment.  However, common sense is in short supply.

As I said, my mind was just thinking about how life does work both ways.  My post was just a random thought and was just a comment to make people think sometimes about what is being asked.

If I go to a vegetarian restaurant, yes, I  eat vegetarian. If I go to a steak house, I don't insist on a tofu steak. It is the same as following the local customs of any location I visit. 

But as far as the meat/vegetarian issue goes, how many threads have been posted over the years where the questions has been raised if a vegetarian option is available at a hamburger grill or other on board venue (leaving out the buffet and dining room where there are such options). Look back in this thread, there is a post about the restrictions being on the poster because some venues on board don't have a vegetarian option.  Or the infamous complaint several years ago that even John Heald commented on when a woman who was vegetarian raised a ruckus because the on board steak house actually had a poster outside the door that showed a steak. Gasp!!!!! Vegetarians had to walk by that sign and  see it.

Obviously, from the reaction of some to my post, the idea of reversing the situation and wanting meat in a vegetarian/vegan establishment is rude and not funny. Isn't the idea of expecting a vegetarian /vegan option to be available anywhere one goes also rude and not funny. 

I had no intention of being either.  It was just a comment to make people think about the situation.  I failed in my intention.

Here is another rhetorical question to cause knicker twisting in some:  If vegans decide to raise their children vegan and will not include animal products in the child's diet, is the milk of a human female animal also excluded?

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Of course common sense would suggest that a meat eater would enjoy vegetarian fare in a vegetarian establishment.  However, common sense is in short supply.

As I said, my mind was just thinking about how life does work both ways.  My post was just a random thought and was just a comment to make people think sometimes about what is being asked.

If I go to a vegetarian restaurant, yes, I  eat vegetarian. If I go to a steak house, I don't insist on a tofu steak. It is the same as following the local customs of any location I visit. 

But as far as the meat/vegetarian issue goes, how many threads have been posted over the years where the questions has been raised if a vegetarian option is available at a hamburger grill or other on board venue (leaving out the buffet and dining room where there are such options). Look back in this thread, there is a post about the restrictions being on the poster because some venues on board don't have a vegetarian option.  Or the infamous complaint several years ago that even John Heald commented on when a woman who was vegetarian raised a ruckus because the on board steak house actually had a poster outside the door that showed a steak. Gasp!!!!! Vegetarians had to walk by that sign and  see it.

Obviously, from the reaction of some to my post, the idea of reversing the situation and wanting meat in a vegetarian/vegan establishment is rude and not funny. Isn't the idea of expecting a vegetarian /vegan option to be available anywhere one goes also rude and not funny. 

I had no intention of being either.  It was just a comment to make people think about the situation.  I failed in my intention.

Here is another rhetorical question to cause knicker twisting in some:  If vegans decide to raise their children vegan and will not include animal products in the child's diet, is the milk of a human female animal also excluded?

I think you make very good points

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

The OP was asking, not insisting.  And it appears from the responses that it's a fair question to ask for someone who doesn't eat meat, but who might want to have the unique steakhouse restaurant experience on a Carnival ship.  In asking for others' experiences,  I think the OP was quite deliberately trying to avoid the scenario you're describing.

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 4:29 PM, Homosassa said:

On 10/15/2019 at 3:50 PM, Bookster99 said:

My wife loves the steak house. I am currently vegetarian. Technically, "Lacto-Vegetarian" I eat cheese. Anyway, we are going to the steak house the first night. I wondered what vegetarian entrees they might offer up. Let me first say, I am completely unconcerned: There is a long extensive list of sides that will fill me up completely. However, a giant portabello mushroom "steak" might be an amazing entree. On their  actual menu, there is no vegetarian entree listed at all. When i emailed guest services, they told me that's all handled on the ship and could provide no real guidance ahead of time. 

So, to repeat, I am sure it will be an amazing experience. However, since I have the collected wisom of cruise hive mind at my disposal, has anyone out there requested a vegetarian entree from the steakhouse? What did they do for you?

I'm not taking the time to search for the many threads, but rather focusing on this thread.  The OP didn't insist, they asked what options might be available.  He even implied that it would be fine if there weren't any options beside the side dishes. @Homosassa, I don't understand where your hostility is coming from in people asking questions.  If someone doesn't ask, then the answer is always no.  Asking at least lets you find out if there is an option (which there often is) or if it is a deal breaker (which it isn't in this case) to go somewhere else.  I'll answer some of your other questions below.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, Homosassa said:

Is it ok to ask for any accommodations, or should those who are traveling with others who want the specialized menu not dine with the rest of their party.  Not everyone who goes to the steak house orders steak - the menu also has chicken, seafood, and possible pork or lamb options.  My MIL doesn't like seafood but knows many of us do, so she finds something else to eat (steak or chicken) if we are going to a seafood restaurant (which we won't choose if they only serve seafood).

Some people can't eat gluten, should they be barred from going to Brunch or an Italian restaurant where their will likely be a gluten heavy menu?

Expecting/demanding could be rude.  Seeking information about if something is a possibility is not rude.

You said you didn't mean to be rude or funny, but make people think.  Therefore I will answer you "rhetorical question" to cause "knicker twisting" in a way that might actually inform.  Someone who understands vegan practices will hopefully correct any wrong information.

I'm not vegan, but from my limited understanding I think human breast milk would be allowed because it is a natural result of the pregnancy and not something extra done to a different mammal species to provide nutrition for a human.  The issue (from my minimal understanding) is not interfering with another animal's life - especially one who cannot give consent.  A cow, goat, sheep, etc cannot consent to being impregnated so they can produce milk nor can they consent to having their milk taken from them.  Most humans are able to consent to nurse their own child, be a wet nurse, or sell their milk to a family or hospital if the mother is unable to nurse.

Again, I am not vegan.  I am fine using animals for milk/milk products, meat, and clothing products.  That doesn't mean it isn't good to understand someone else's perspective.

• Like 1

It is common practice for restaurants to have vegetarian options, including steak houses.  It is not common practice for a vegan restaurant to serve steak.  Nobody is demanding anything, but it's not out of line for a vegetarian to expect an option at almost any restaurant - since, again, that's common practice, even if that option is just side dishes or a salad.  Trying equate this to demanding steak at a vegan restaurant is utter nonsense and fails.

Your argument is nonsense.  Maybe you should take your own advice and follow local customs, which means you would understand that nearly every restaurant in America serves vegetarian friendly options. So you pretty much argued against the point you are trying to make.

And no knickers are twisted.  As I said, you are nowhere near as clever as you think you are.  Vegans do not have a problem with breast milk.  That's not a "thing."

Edited by BNBR

On 10/24/2019 at 11:51 AM, BNBR said:

You aren't as clever as you think you are.  Common sense would suggest that meat eaters tend to eat non-meat items as well.  It doesn't go both ways.  Your argument is invalid and fails.  Would you like to try again?

Now there is the CC posting we all know and love 😎

On 10/24/2019 at 9:45 AM, SmileEh said:

This right here shows you don't know much about veganism

( ps I am not vegan nor vegetarian however support my 2 sons that are)

13 hours ago, pinto18 said:

This right here shows you don't know much about veganism

( ps I am not vegan nor vegetarian however support my 2 sons that are)

hmmm weird... the part of the quote you responded to has my username attached to it but that quote is actually from  "On 10/24/2019 at 12:21 PM, Homosassa said:"... as I only said (I think you make very good points)... guess its the way you carried it forward... no biggie

• Like 1