Grandeur Sold

3 minutes ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

Have also seen a bar & hors d’œuvres set up on 11.

They didn’t do that when I was on the EN,  but there weren’t too many Ds.  Most nights after 7 we were the only ones there.

If they set up the bar and appetizers downstairs that would be a much better solution and make for a nice situation.  Given the sheer number of Ds that sail out of Baltimore I suspect it will become a permanent overflow practically.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Enchantment did overflow into the VCL when she was in PC. Worked very well since both lounges are up there

But if both lounges overflow, the Suite guests and Pinnacles (and D+, if they're allowed in the Concierge lounge) will have to associate with the "beneath me" Diamond members.  😉

Edited by Another_Critic

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

It can definitely and has been used as overflow.  I guess a better way of putting it is a “convenient”

overflow.  No one wants to be on that ramp and have a drink.  You can walk out of the grandeur DL and sit down immediately.  It’s nice and connected.  There is quite a distance between deck 12 and 11 when carrying a drink and hors d’œuvres.

Is it “that” far?  Not really but it’s just so easy on the grandeur as they are right next to each other rather than some long ramp to get up to deck 12.

But why even go up to the DL or CL if they are operating deck 11 as an overflow 🤔

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

But if both lounges overflow, the Suite guests and Pinnacles (and D+, if they're allowed in the Concierge lounge) will have to associate with the "beneath me" Diamond members.  😉

Never knew that was an issue. Must be a Baltimore problem.  We spent all our time on Serenade TA hanging out in Schooner and Safari Club with all levels of C&A

Love all, Serve all

Edited by John&LaLa

Excited to see so many folk who have been happy with Grandeur. I'm only half hour from the port and just booked an end of September 5-night cruise to Bermuda. I'd been thinking about it/monitoring prices and got an aft corner JS on deck 7 during the flash sale. I've been to Bermuda twice and going again November for my sister's first visit. This will be my first cruise there - it's only in port 24 hours but I'm going more for the relaxation and trying out the ship.

5 hours ago, Beachammo said:

We live in Virginia Beach

I find Grandeur more expensive per person per night than similar ships sailing out of Fort Lauderdale, Tampa and Miami. I can fly to FLL/MCO/TPA out of Norfolk, spend the night, and get on a Radiance class ship for a similar price as driving to Baltimore, getting a room, and paying for parking.

Plus I'll start my cruise in warm weather.

Guess that's the reason I've never been on Grandeur

That's the argument for keeping a ship in Baltimore.  Little competition and attractiveness of not having to fly allows Royal to charge higher prices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just find it interesting that Carnival has managed to keep all their Fantasy class ships with the Fantasy being close to 30 years old now. They are investing in them adding new food venues and  those hideous balconies. They seem to be able to make the numbers work. Wonder why Royal can't with the Vision class?

Edited by coaster

7 minutes ago, coaster said:

I just find it interesting that Carnival has managed to keep all their Fantasy class ships with the Fantasy being close to 30 years old now. They are investing in them adding new food venues and  those hideous balconies. They seem to be able to make the numbers work. Wonder why Royal can't with the Vision class?

Probably no longer their business plan. Bigger is better seems to be their mantra. 

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

That's been going on for 30yrs. When I first on Royal back then those that Cruised were called Newlywed, and Nearly Dead. We were 22, and only maybe half dozen younger then us. This on the Brand New Sovereign of the Seas, largest Cruise ship in the World. Was no kids or Teens, not a one. 95% were 40+ But then who could afford it back then, $3600 total for 2 of us in tiny Port Hole Deck 2 cabin. Had to Finance it for 12 months. Now it's cheaper take my Family on a Cruise then week in Orlando

My first cruise on Royal was 2007. We paid apx. $3100 CDN for an inside cabin on deck 3.  That same cruise (same week/same ship/similar Itinerary) priced today is $2688 CDN.  When you factor in the inflation that is substantially cheaper now than then.  

53 minutes ago, coaster said:

Entry level product aimed often at small markets.  That is a distinct market segment within the cruise industry but it's super hard to compete head to head in that budget conscious space largely because Carnival is there.  Like Carnival has done, Royal would need to make further service cuts to play in that space.  Royal has chosen not to play in that market segment.  

It's easy to be Walmart of the Seas because expectations are low.  Low expectations are easily met.  That isn't Royal.  Royal isn't trying to be the cheapest berth on the ocean.  

Carnival also has a problem selling off the old ships.  They have to be careful who they sell the old ships to or else they are potentially developing a competitor who can undercut them in the ultra low cost cruise market segment.  That is Carnival's niche so they have little choice but to keep their old ships. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

But why even go up to the DL or CL if they are operating deck 11 as an overflow 🤔

Because sometimes you hit that sweet spot where it is very crowded but they aren’t opening up overflow.  On the grandeur no biggie.  You walk out the door and it’s the South Pacific lounge.  It’s an easy overflow regardless of they are utilizing it as such.  Very easy access.  On the Enchantment you have to walk down a long ramp to get to seats if they are not operating overflow.

So sad about the lovely Grandeur leaving Baltimore. We cruised twice on her and once on Enchantment out of Baltimore long ago. These smaller ships are truly special. After a week to 10 days, the ship is your cozy home and you’re friends with everyone.  We lived in Washington, DC and drove to the dock in less than an hour.

We retired & moved to Florida but continue cruising.  However, we’ll try to fly back north for 1 more trip on our beloved Grandeur.

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

Because sometimes you hit that sweet spot where it is very crowded but they aren’t opening up overflow.  On the grandeur no biggie.  You walk out the door and it’s the South Pacific lounge.  It’s an easy overflow regardless of they are utilizing it as such.  Very easy access.  On the Enchantment you have to walk down a long ramp to get to seats if they are not operating overflow.

It's a ramp, probably 35' long. No big deal.

They even have a scooter lift if you need it

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

It's a ramp, probably 35' long. No big deal.

They even have a scooter lift if you need it

Thats 35 feet that I can spill a full drink or drop food.  I am not the most coordinated person.  It’s 0 feet on the grandeur to the South Pacific lounge area.

2 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Yeah, I never realized that ramp was such an issue. 

For me it’s not the ramp it’s the length of walking with a full drink, especially a lemon drop or something in a martini glass that’s full.  I will spill some of I walk with a full martini glass.

maybe I should just drink faster so it’s only half full.  🙂

7 hours ago, John Reid said:

This is not what I have experienced. Balconies run higher on Grandeur because there are so few. I haven't found the 10-day cruises out of Fort Lauderdale to be that comparable in price. 

Living in Virginia Beach, you could drive to Baltimore the same day. It's the same distance I drive same day to Bayonne.

I'm guessing parking isn't free at the Norfolk airport either.

Yes, one does start in warmer weather, but Grandeur cruises with similar itineraries are longer, more days for the money, and go to the same ports except the ABC islands.

I have never been able to price flying out of BWI to FLL and staying one night equal or less expensive than sailing Grandeur.

Guess you haven't looked well enough. 😎

We always cruise with an aft balcony and the cheaper per day cost of Florida cruises covers our flights down there.

I don't park at the airport. Uber is under $10. 

Same Day! Yikes!! I would rather fly than deal with all the DC/Balt traffic on the day I get on a ship. 

To each there own....

18 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

20190221_161217.thumb.jpg.c8df739952b8d0d8bd43127aa29e4f01.jpg

Lol.  As you well know that hasn’t been remotely enforced since the vouchers came out.  They really just need to take down the sign in the same way the have gone to “dress your best” instead of formal night.

If they did enforce it I don’t think the waiters have enough space to serve drinks.

Edited by rimmit

1 minute ago, rimmit said:

Lol.  As you well know that hasn’t been remotely enforced since the vouchers came out.  They really just need to take down the sign in the same way the have gone to “dress your best” instead of formal night.

If they did enforce it I don’t think the waiters have enough space to serve drinks and all around.

Many ships still promote Formal Night