Hairdressing

On behalf of Wonderwifey, can someone confirm precisely what ladies hairdressing services are available (on Explorer in particular) and how or perhaps if this will change with the forthcoming termination of Canyon Ranch running the overall Spa operations on board Regent?

Further how good is the hairdressing and what would be the  current likely price for a mid length volume blowdry? 

Edited by Belfast Taxman

I’ve heard mixed reviews over the years.  I’m sure it’s like salons on shore where some stylists are better than others.

I know my wife has had some up-dos done before and she’s done her nails a few times with mixed results.  I’d rather spend $$/OBC on a premium wine tasting or a nice excursion.

I usually have my hair done once or twice per cruise. The service offered will be exactly the same on each Regent ship. This year on Mariner I visited salon twice, I liked the products they used and the service given. From memory I think mybe $70 but can’t be certain. I have long hair so not sure if price varies depending on length?    Jean.

$70 for a blowout sounds very pricey! I know on Crystal for a medium length blow out the cost is $49 and I've always been happy with the final result. They also have GHD irons etc if one requires them. Does anyone know what the hairdryers in the staterooms are like? Again on Crystal they have the latest Dyson so hoping Regent will have something similar?

Thanks - they do not have them on Regent!  

In terms of the new spa that will be onboard Regent next year (or on Explorer in December), all that we are doing is speculating.  We really have no factual information about the pricing or services offered by the new company.  All I can hope for is that their attitude is better than employees of Canyon Ranch, that they are more knowledgeable and do not do hard sells for their products.

8 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

$70 for a blowout sounds very pricey! I know on Crystal for a medium length blow out the cost is $49 and I've always been happy with the final result. They also have GHD irons etc if one requires them. Does anyone know what the hairdryers in the staterooms are like? Again on Crystal they have the latest Dyson so hoping Regent will have something similar?

The hairdryer in the cabin is a hand held basic dryer. I usually use it to get a head start so to speak to dry hair , but I take my own hot air styler dryer and GHD, don’t travel light my husband says, but the set up in cabin at dressing table to dry hair etc is very good, I’ve found it to have good lighting and plugs well situated for the dryer etc.

I know it sounds expensive for the hair salon but I quite enjoy having it curled or set up.

Ive never heard or asked whether they have GHD to borrow onboard.   Jean.

If you Google Canyon Ranch at Sea on RSSC and click on Regent and then the name of your ship, a 42 page booklet describing all of their services on board will show up. The prices are at the end. There are no bargains here. I was in the WC in 2017 and had to go for a cut, color and blow dry several times. It's best to call in advance to make your appointments. I always chose to go on sea days. You can use shipboard credit. Please remember, as others have stated, there is already built into your bill an 18% gratuity.

• Like 1

Here is a copy of the price list for hair services on Voyager:

5A8B43CD-DFBE-4D71-B2E6-FD46376BC681.thumb.jpeg.690beaa9db6319c2cb9c6d4d4668642c.jpeg
The prices above, obtained from the Spa today, include the 18% service charge.

From my experience, CanyonRanch prices on Explorer will be slightly higher.

The hairdryers in the suites on Voyager are 3-speed, 3-temperature models; basic but reasonably efficient. I think they are similar on Explorer.

There are no hair appliances in the launderettes.

Edited by flossie009
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of great information re the current hairdressing services on Regent. Thanks to all contributors.

Let’s see what happens when Canyon Ranch depart. As some have said, maybe the services will improve but I don’t suppose the prices will come down. 

Edited by Belfast Taxman

I just paid $90 to my stylist for a shampoo, cut and blow dry for very short hair.  Then, I added a $20 tip.  Total $110.

The prices in the spa seem very reasonable to me.  Thanks for posting.  My hesitation would be the level of competence of the staff.  Even if they are the next Vidal Sassoon, it's always hard to have someone unfamiliar.  I know my stylists have commented through the years that it takes two or three sessions before they feel comfortable with a client and their particular needs.

I always take 10 to 12 day trips.  Still working.  I've often wondered how I would deal with a World Cruise and the hair dilemma?

Interesting post Orvil and it certainly put the current prices on Regent into one perspective.

Here is another perspective. Wonderwifey goes to the one more expensive salons in our city. She has medium length, “complicated” hair. For shampoo, trim and blow dry with add-ons such as curling with brushes, she pays less than $30.

ps - she agrees 100% with your comments on the need to get to know your stylist. This worries her a lot more than the prices. 

Edited by Belfast Taxman

2 hours ago, Belfast Taxman said:

Interesting post Orvil and it certainly put the current prices on Regent into one perspective.

Here is another perspective. Wonderwifey goes to the one more expensive salons in our city. She has medium length, “complicated” hair. For shampoo, trim and blow dry with add-ons such as curling with brushes, she pays less than $30.

ps - she agrees 100% with your comments on the need to get to know your stylist. This worries her a lot more than the prices. 

I pay $50 plus tip for the same service and I go to one of the less expensive stylists here. Yours sounds like a real bargain.

Just to clarify - I meant the Crystal salon had ghd hair straighteners to use, not to borrow out to customers and I only mentioned that because one poster said that the Canyon Ranch salon didn't have any. Travelcat, that's very strange that you didn't have a Dyson hairdryer in the Crystal Penthouse. We were in a regular PH and had one. Should you ever cruise on Crystal again please ask your butler to replace it. I notice that the $79 charge includes a roller set and blow dry but no prices for just a regular blow dry - I assume it must be less?

• Like 1

The prices seem pretty reasonable, compared to NYC prices!   Now that I live in North Carolina, thankfully I pay significantly less.  For everything! But on my one (so far!😊) Regent Cruise, I understood that I needed a salon service and didn’t mind paying.  

Edited by Pinksunset

4 hours ago, ClefsDor said:

Just to clarify - I meant the Crystal salon had ghd hair straighteners to use, not to borrow out to customers and I only mentioned that because one poster said that the Canyon Ranch salon didn't have any. Travelcat, that's very strange that you didn't have a Dyson hairdryer in the Crystal Penthouse. We were in a regular PH and had one. Should you ever cruise on Crystal again please ask your butler to replace it. I notice that the $79 charge includes a roller set and blow dry but no prices for just a regular blow dry - I assume it must be less?

No thank you - no plans to sail on Crystal again.  Not sure what they were thinking when their put their highest category suite(s) under the pool deck.  This assures that we will not be returning.  Interesting, we have Dyson "almost everything" but have no interest in their dryer.  I don't need a hurricane to dry my hair:classic_unsure:

Back to the topic.  Some posters must live in very expensive areas because prices where we live are less than half of what is charged on Regent (actually, a nail "fill" is around $15-20 here and close to $90 on board).

Again, keep in mind that the prices posted will be obsolete when the new company takes over (December 7th for Explorer).  No one knows if the prices will be higher or lower, whether or not tips will be included as they are with Canyon Ranch or if the services will be the same.

As I understand it, the company managing the new Spa on Regent will be the same group which is on Crystal/SilverSea/Seabourn and numerous other lines - a division of Steiner. Here is the web site: https://www.theonboardspa.com/page/About-Us-Our-Cruise-Partners.aspx

Regent isn't mentioned - yet. Norwegian is.

As I understand it, the Spas are somewhat different on each line, depending on what is expected.

I have no clue about costs - we'll all have to wait until the change happens. The Explorer will be first - in early December when the ship reached Miami.

Peggy