GTY Category downgrade?

I booked a 8D oceanview balcony guarantee.

Just got my stateroom and it is a 6D oceanview balcony Deck 14.

Is this a lower category?

I booked this knowing 8D is on decks 6, 7 or 8. Which I wanted.

I did not want a high deck, plus it is under basketball court.

This is the first time booking a guarantee.

I recently got three deck six promenade cabins assigned on my inside guaranty that I booked directly with rccl. I was worried about noise for my parents so called to downgrade to an open higher deck inside cabin. Luckily a promenade on deck 8 opened while I was on phone so moved them there. it is easier to move to different cabin in same category, but I learned they can call another department to get approval for downgrade if there is a cabin open. Good luck!

8 hours ago, Mullwi said:

I recently got three deck six promenade cabins assigned on my inside guaranty that I booked directly with rccl. I was worried about noise for my parents so called to downgrade to an open higher deck inside cabin. Luckily a promenade on deck 8 opened while I was on phone so moved them there. it is easier to move to different cabin in same category, but I learned they can call another department to get approval for downgrade if there is a cabin open. Good luck!

Called Royal, told me to have my TA contact them to put me back into 8D gty list or move me to another cabin, 6D or 8D.  Nice that they waited 11 months to assign me my cabin.

TA called all OVB sold out so I’m stuck with what they consider an upgrade.

Did a Royal up for Suites but most likely won’t be accepted.

Lesson learned...never do a Guarantee again!

10 minutes ago, Floridadude said:

Called Royal, told me to have my TA contact them to put me back into 8D gty list or move me to another cabin, 6D or 8D.  Nice that they waited 11 months to assign me my cabin.

Yes I agree you should never do a Guarantee again!

• Like 5

Yep.....just because you book a specific category doesn't mean that's the category you'll be in.  It means that's the LOWEST category you'll be in.  

Guarantee rooms are great...but only if you literally don't care where your cabin is (I pretty much only sail GTY).  You can get a great deal on them, but it sounds like you have strong opinions over where you want your cabin, so I wouldn't recommend it for you, no matter how attractive the price is.

• Like 2

We used to always do guarantee cabins, but we have come to know that we prefer to choose our location so we no longer do them. Especially now with the Royal Up upsells, you rarely get a "better" cabin with a guarantee.

23 hours ago, Floridadude said:

Hey, you are lucky you didn't just get your cabin assignment at the pier; it can happen.

And yes, when you book a guarantee, you should make sure that you will be happy with any cabin in that category or any cabin that might be an upgrade.  Also be aware as a guarantee and if the ship is oversold, you may also be called to be notified that the only cabin available is one of the worst on the ship and you can have it if you want (usually will come with some type of sweetener for the downgrade). 

9 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Hey, you are lucky you didn't just get your cabin assignment at the pier; it can happen.

And yes, when you book a guarantee, you should make sure that you will be happy with any cabin in that category or any cabin that might be an upgrade.  Also be aware as a guarantee and if the ship is oversold, you may also be called to be notified that the only cabin available is one of the worst on the ship and you can have it if you want (usually will come with some type of sweetener for the downgrade). 

If they need to downgrade you, are you also given the option of cancelling?

On 10/17/2019 at 5:26 AM, Floridadude said:

I booked a 8D oceanview balcony guarantee.

Just got my stateroom and it is a 6D oceanview balcony Deck 14.

Is this a lower category?

6D is a better category than 8D and if booking and choosing your own cabin a 6D would cost more than an 8D.  

A balcony Guarantee is XB category.  No such thing as a Guaranteed 8D however.  

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Single category GTY are possible, though less likely on the US site.

Since they changed their categories I have only seen Neighborhood and Oceanview balcony guarantees.  I guess it is possible for other locations to be offered inventory differently but OP indicates they live in Florida.  

22 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

A balcony Guarantee is XB category.  No such thing as a Guaranteed 8D however.  

Although rare,  I have seen an Oceanview balcony GTY for a specific category such as 8D.  Similarly for suites, I've seen a "W"  GTY and a  "JS" GTY.  RC pricing is so dynamic that anything is possible at ant time.