Ocean Cay~ The Final Countdown

BermudaBound2014

46 minutes ago, rikitikitavii said:

Based on what MSC started with( google maps),  it may take years for the island to "recover".  

At one time there was a satellite photo when Ocean cay was an entire industrial waste. I wish I had saved that photo. It was updated to the current photo a few years ago which is 100% times better than the first.

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Here are a few: YC is in at the top here:

image.png.91267370fbdeffc0636720324056c782.png

image.png.8c623a66f15bd530ce824b5827fbc816.png

image.png.8981c49527cf0dcef3ba39eef81ee8d1.png

image.png.dfa3261cb0663da3bd5b7c8100a8e292.png

Thank you so much! Are the loungers in the last picture in the YC area. It is disappointing that there aren't loungers for the cabanas.  If there are just chairs, is it easy enough to just drag a couple of loungers up to the cabana?

Were you on the island or are these pictures you found? I'm wondering what is the best cabana number to request and hope to hear from someone that rented one.  This is our only day we are doing off the ship LOL  I plan on renting a cabana, as we did the last two years, in the YC area, and just hanging there and the spa during the day.

Thanks so much for these wonderful pictures.  I appreciate it!

1 minute ago, js said:

Thank you so much! Are the loungers in the last picture in the YC area. It is disappointing that there aren't loungers for the cabanas.  If there are just chairs, is it easy enough to just drag a couple of loungers up to the cabana?

Were you on the island or are these pictures you found? I'm wondering what is the best cabana number to request and hope to hear from someone that rented one.  This is our only day we are doing off the ship LOL  I plan on renting a cabana, as we did the last two years, in the YC area, and just hanging there and the spa during the day.

Thanks so much for these wonderful pictures.  I appreciate it!

I don't get to visit until April :(, I'm just a member who has followed the OC build for the last several years and I'm excited to see it come to fruition. I agree with you about the cabana's. I'd prefer a comfy padded lounger to the couch and chairs, but it does look like you could pull one of the regular loungers up. . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rikitikitavii said:

Based on what MSC started with( google maps),  it may take years for the island to "recover".  

I agree.  It was basically an industrial waste dump.  I think most other islands were in better shape when cruise lines purchased them.  The benefit of this one is how close it is to Miami.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

I saw Ken’s video on FB. Love it. He’s one happy guy that his company has finally delivered the goods. The island looks great. Once the island has time to allow the fauna to reach its potential, it will really be nice. It’s actually nice to see a private island not turned into an amusement park.

Yes they are going the more traditional route which is nice.  Royal is going the more attraction oriented route.  There is room for both and both can be very successful.  Coco Cay has become the highest rated destination for Royal in the entire world.  Pretty impressive.  The investment has paid off.  I hope the same will be true for MSC.   

SEASIDE is docked at Ocean Cay today ... so more pics and reviews are forthcoming I'm sure.  

2 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't get to visit until April :(, I'm just a member who has followed the OC build for the last several years and I'm excited to see it come to fruition. I agree with you about the cabana's. I'd prefer a comfy padded lounger to the couch and chairs, but it does look like you could pull one of the regular loungers up. . 

Thanks.  I'll guess I'll be reporting before you.  If the last photo is of the YC area, I guess it looks like we can drag a couple of loungers up.  I have been to many cruise private islands as well as renting the cabanas and this is lacking in comparison to some of the newer ones being built. 

I hope I am able to find the difference between the ocean view and the regular cabanas.  I paid extra for the ocean view but looks like they are all the same???

Our last one was when we cruised NCL and had our own bathroom, air conditioning, shower, and sitting area with music, fruit and stocked fridge with non alcoholic beverages.  Oh well. I'm still very happy we rented.

Thanks again.

38 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Lots of new videos are being posted in the last few hours. I don't want to keep copying and pasting them all, but youtube and multiple social media sites are starting to get quite a few real videos.

Thank you. Is there a specific group on FB that I can find these pictures and videos?

I'm very happy to see that its finally open.  Seeing the videos pour in this weekend when people get a chance to get home and edit/upload high quality/resolution files should be fun over the next few weeks and months.

Can't wait til we are there in about 3 months!

So I was reading someones post on FB and her cabana was not in YC  she went to the concierge desk to inquire about upgrading to a YC cabana as she was a YC guest.  She said they actually discouraged her as they were having some issues with food service.  I also read that there was only 1 bathroom in the YC area and the lock was not working.  They told her to come over and enjoy the YC area and restaurant at her leisure.  I want to book a cabana for my sailing.  I am in the YC but the price is quite a difference in the cabanas.  I wish I knew how you can select the area that your cabana will be in.   I think I am going to go ahead with the least expensive cabana.   I just want some shade and there doesn't seem to be a lot of it.   And if I can use the restaurant then that will be good.  I assume all cabanas are close to the beach.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CUontheC said:

So I was reading someones post on FB and her cabana was not in YC  she went to the concierge desk to inquire about upgrading to a YC cabana as she was a YC guest.  She said they actually discouraged her as they were having some issues with food service.  I also read that there was only 1 bathroom in the YC area and the lock was not working.  They told her to come over and enjoy the YC area and restaurant at her leisure.  I want to book a cabana for my sailing.  I am in the YC but the price is quite a difference in the cabanas.  I wish I knew how you can select the area that your cabana will be in.   I think I am going to go ahead with the least expensive cabana.   I just want some shade and there doesn't seem to be a lot of it.   And if I can use the restaurant then that will be good.  I assume all cabanas are close to the beach.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

I have already booked a YC cabana for our cruise next September. Very disappointed with the picture. Does not even look like there would be room for a lounger.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CUontheC said:

I have the same question. The YC cabins (or so-called cabins, really just some shade) do not seem worth the price. I’d like to find out more bout lower cost non YC cabins. I’d happily walk back and forth. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CUontheC said:

.   I just want some shade and there doesn't seem to be a lot of it.   And if I can use the restaurant then that will be good.  I assume all cabanas are close to the beach.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

Can you possibly wait to book until we start to get some informative reviews and video? I would think within the next week or so a lot of these questions can be answered. Video will tell a lot more than the stills coming in and people visiting this week may need to get home before posting detailed video. Right now, I would agree that the cabanas offer little more than shade, but on OC shade is a premium right now. Some of the pics I"ve seen of the YC cabana's indicate that there is a rock ledge (not a straight beach walk) to the sea. Not sure if that matters to you. 

This pic was labeled as the YC beach and comes from a CC member I trust for accuracy. You can see the cabana's (although this looks close to the ship to be YC area, the island is small so it's possible):

image.png.cdffe42b1b91e874d4f76f963dd97bec.png

This is also a YC cabana. While there are rocks in front of the cabana it looks more peaceful than most to me:

image.png.8a4003378370af931cf8d2f45806d152.png

These look like 'regular' cabana's, but they don't look like they would be quiet and relaxing as that is a lot of chairs between the cabana and sea and I would expect those chairs will fill as the weather warms.

image.png.d933712b4a3f1e6333a91d1f4198835a.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, greykitty said:

Could someone clarify for me - non-YC cruisers cannot book the YC cabanas, but YC cruisers could book either YC cabanas or the 'cheap' non-YC cabanas?  That doesn't seem fair to me from the non-YC cruiser POV.  I bet I misread.

I do not believe you mis-read. According to all the information posted thus far, that seems an accurate statement. However; MSC could change the policy at any given moment, so stay tuned :). 

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I do not believe you mis-read. According to all the information posted thus far, that seems an accurate statement. However; MSC could change the policy at any given moment, so stay tuned :). 

Hmm, that really doesn't seem right to me.  I hope they fix that policy asap.  I can see the YC people having their own area, if paid for - I don't see it being right that YC can monopolize all the resources because the YC area doesn't appear to be a good deal.  

• Like 2