Does the having the Super Bowl in Miami affect cruising

dolittle

Was wondering does the Super Bowl affect cruising .I know hotel rates are very high and I would think air fares would also be high . It seems to me it would be a royal pain to go that week .  Does anyone know is it more popular or less.I guess if you drove and did not stay you might be able to avoid the crush.

No (in answer to your posting title).

If you want the specific cruise, then book it. You might consider flying into FLL, renting a car and the driving to Miami. Or...drive down yourself, rent a car one-way and explore. Then fly home when you are done. Be adventurous.

Jim

45 minutes ago, dolittle said:

Was wondering does the Super Bowl affect cruising .I know hotel rates are very high and I would think air fares would also be high . It seems to me it would be a royal pain to go that week .  Does anyone know is it more popular or less.I guess if you drove and did not stay you might be able to avoid the crush.

Is it more popular or less... than what?

Yes, hotel rates in the area will be high, and so, likely, will flights. At this point hotel availability in the Miami area for the days preceding the game is likely very limited. 

But I wouldn't let this deter me from a cruise if it was one I couldn't do a week earlier or later. Fly into a different airport, stay there until the day of the cruise, then rent a car and drive to the port.

We are sailing in February out of Ft. Lauderdale a week after Super Bowl. The price difference in flights and hotels is substantial. One way tickets from ATL (our hometown airport) to FLL are $59 the weekend of our cruise and $350 for the same exact flight on Super Bowl weekend. Same thing with hotels. Some hotels where we’ve stayed before and paid $200 a night are charging over $700 on Super Bowl weekend. I’m guessing that some people may need to fly into Palm Beach or even Orlando just to get decent airfare if they are cruising during the Super Bowl. 

When the Super Bowl came to Atlanta a few years ago, you couldn’t get a hotel anywhere in the city. We live in the “suburbs”, more like a semi-rural area 45 miles south of the city (out in the boonies) and even the hotels near where we live were full that weekend and charging considerably more than normal. I learned that a lot of people come to town, not to go to the actual game, but to participate in the countless parties and experiences that are set up throughout the weekend. 

So yes, the Super Bowl definitely has a significant impact. 

15 hours ago, JimnKaren said:

No (in answer to your posting title).

If you want the specific cruise, then book it. You might consider flying into FLL, renting a car and the driving to Miami. Or...drive down yourself, rent a car one-way and explore. Then fly home when you are done. Be adventurous.

Jim

Couple of things, flight prices into the airport are through the roof as well as hotels.  We had a post a couple months  ago where Embassy suites on 17th st was over $500 per night and 500,000 Hilton Honors points. Generally about 30, 000 points. I doubt you get a rental car and if you did the price would be outrageous.

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

I would assume transportation will also be effected.

Well, rental cars could be an issue if you want one.  The majors do bring in extra vehicles for special events, but you still need to book as far in advance as possible.

Uber/Lyft also bring extra vehicles for special events (at least the ones I've been to).  BUT, you'll have surge pricing all day long.  An example: last year for an event in my town, Uber to the airport ran $250-$350.  Any other day, it runs between $40-$80. Now, they may price depending on your to/from - to port may be less because you're not going with the herd to the stadium or bar hopping wherever the place is to go party.  

If you don't have a hotel by now, look for one!!!  You may have to go an hour out of the port to find one.  Just based on my experience locally with special events (for one, people were staying 90 minutes away!!!)

So taking a cruise out of Miami on Superbowl weekend will entail much more expensive hotel, if you can find a room, airfare, if you can find a flight, rental cars if..., Uber etc.,  and getting from point A to point B, like your hotel to the cruise port, will be more of a hassle. Where do I book? 🙄

• Haha 1

It's all about planning ahead.. we are sailing out on Feb in FLL.. but are planning on flying in a day before to check out all the pre Super Bowl activities on South Beach..., I also sailed out of Miami last time Super Bowl was there.. and yes it is more crowded than usual.. but we had no issue getting shuttle service and a taxi.  

It may be worth considering the Virgin Trains / BrightLine cruise package.  Originate your trip in West Palm Beach, where hotel prices will likely be lower, take the train to Miami. Avail yourself of the VT/BL arrangement to transfer you to the cruise port via LYFT.

The Hard Rock stadium is probably 12 miles from the cruise port and MiamiCentral train station. Up around 200th street, and west of the Turnpike.