Havana area change

jimbo5544

42 minutes ago, M2LR said:

That is exactly what I own. The thing is still almost as tall as me when it is folded (granted I am super short). I find it a pain to haul out to the soccer field much less across the country but to each their own. The one end is like a spike to go into the ground. I cannot believe they allow that in the main cabin when I had to throw away a pair of nail scissors years ago ( I am still bitter about that). EDIT: I checked it is 54"

Not even half my size and it appears I may be a little stronger than you. Easily fits under the bed or you can hang up. Scissors and a umbrella are fairly two different items, don't you agree? This product has always worked well for me and the family. Enjoy your next cruise!

10 minutes ago, Oldskl said:

Not a tent, umbrella designed for the beach. My posts represent many families. I'll use my umbrella wherever I want and offer my opinion as I please.

Then why’d you call it a “wonderful tent”? 

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic so I’m done with this. I’ll leave it with reiterating my view that Carnival did a great thing by not allowing non Havana guests in the Havana pool area at any time and hope they go even one step further and raise the age to 18+ to book a Havana cabin. Lots of families must feel this same way because all Havana balconies on the Horizon are sold out on all the cruises I’m looking at for Fall 2020.

Happy cruising!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

A tent is inappropriate at the beach but I get the feeling by reading all your posts here that you think only you and yours count so......

Looks just like most of those cabanas for rent at most beaches.

Where is all the anger coming from on here? Most everyone defending the exclusivity of Havana because you paid a lot of money for it but yet jumping on someone who has to travel for business and takes his family along as if he is bragging.

You have different opinions—move on.

As for Havana, i couldn’t care less either way. I walked through it (legally) on Horizon and that was enough.

2 hours ago, Jerseygirl1416 said:

Then why’d you call it a “wonderful tent”? 

Anyway, this has gotten way off topic so I’m done with this. I’ll leave it with reiterating my view that Carnival did a great thing by not allowing non Havana guests in the Havana pool area at any time and hope they go even one step further and raise the age to 18+ to book a Havana cabin. Lots of families must feel this same way because all Havana balconies on the Horizon are sold out on all the cruises I’m looking at for Fall 2020.

Happy cruising!

Because it is an umbrella that folds out to act like a tent. Great for blowing sand, sunlight, and rain unlike normal umbrellas.

Havana discussion has been thoroughly covered. As I said many times before, Carnival needs to update the pool areas on the LIDO deck, and aft pool so people are not so packed in like sardines. This will help alleviate the need for many wanting to use an under-utilized pool area in the Havana. Serenity is already an adult over 21 venue that accomodates the crowd running from the little ones. Make things better for all passengers and noone will care about the Havana area. This area would also be sold out because of its limited number of rooms and exclusive use of the pool and whirlpool if no age restriction was incorporated.

Enjoy your next cruise and continue to offer your viewpoint!

1 hour ago, 2wheelin said:

Looks just like most of those cabanas for rent at most beaches.

Where is all the anger coming from on here? Most everyone defending the exclusivity of Havana because you paid a lot of money for it but yet jumping on someone who has to travel for business and takes his family along as if he is bragging.

You have different opinions—move on.

As for Havana, i couldn’t care less either way. I walked through it (legally) on Horizon and that was enough.

They are called clam shells and can be hot as hades if facing the wrong direction. We did not like them, an umbrella is fine 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2020 at 6:59 PM, jbethel11 said:

Why must you always assume the culprits are minors, when in fact it is often the drunk partygoers who initiate these changes?

Update:  Just off the Vista yesterday and very much enjoyed the adults only Havana!  I asked both Havana bar staff and life guard/doormen why the rule change was implemented and everyone I spoke with said it was because of kids.  Apparently, they would gather in the bar area fist counting down the time and then invade the pool and hot tubs.  I was told that they were simply too many kids being disruptive, loud and trashing it.  Many pax complaints came from the aft balconies.  

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, devinc said:

Update:  Just off the Vista yesterday and very much enjoyed the adults only Havana!  I asked both Havana bar staff and life guard/doormen why the rule change was implemented and everyone I spoke with said it was because of kids.  Apparently, they would gather in the bar area fist counting down the time and then invade the pool and hot tubs.  I was told that they were simply too many kids being disruptive, loud and trashing it.  Many pax complaints came from the aft balconies.  

I think this quote from the Carnival marketing website is very telling of what the Havana area was intended for:

• Children must be 12 years of age or older in order to cruise in a Havana stateroom. The Havana staterooms and experience is designed to be a place where guests can relax and recharge in a more intimate and private setting and the age requirement will enable us to sustain the desired atmosphere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, devinc said:

Good, glad they put a stop to that!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 4:14 PM, devinc said:

I appreciate your response. But my question is if the three bartenders really know if that is the entire reason why Havana became exclusive to Havana guests 24/7? I feel like if it were just the kids, the age limit would have changed, not the 7pm rule.

4 minutes ago, jbethel11 said:

I appreciate your response. But my question is if the three bartenders really know if that is the entire reason why Havana became exclusive to Havana guests 24/7? I feel like if it were just the kids, the age limit would have changed, not the 7pm rule.

You are correct Grasshopper, we really do not know the reason, but at the end of the day, they corrected a wrong for whatever reason.  Would you agree?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/3/2020 at 4:05 PM, jbethel11 said:

On 2/3/2020 at 4:11 PM, jimbo5544 said:

You are correct Grasshopper, we really do not know the reason, but at the end of the day, they corrected a wrong for whatever reason.  Would you agree?

On 2/3/2020 at 5:10 PM, coevan said:

I like the change, the reason we like adults only A.I.'s

I know this thread is old, but i am doing my research on a cabin in the "Havana Area" for Jan 2022

I can tell you this, as a seasoned cruiser, I would not even be considering the Havana Area in a Vista class ship for double the money of a comparable accommodation outside this area if it was not exclusive and limited to 12+ occupants.  In fact not even sure i consider returning to Carnival at this point in time, if it wasn't for the Havana Area.

On 9/22/2021 at 5:26 PM, cruisegus said:

I know this thread is old, but i am doing my research on a cabin in the "Havana Area" for Jan 2022

I can tell you this, as a seasoned cruiser, I would not even be considering the Havana Area in a Vista class ship for double the money of a comparable accommodation outside this area if it was not exclusive and limited to 12+ occupants.  In fact not even sure i consider returning to Carnival at this point in time, if it wasn't for the Havana Area.

Im confused, you would not consider the Havana  area and also would not consider  Carnival if it were not foe Havana area?

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

Im confused, you would not consider the Havana  area and also would not consider  Carnival if it were not foe Havana area?

lets see if I can clear up the confusion.

"also would not consider Carnival if it were not foe Havana area?"

Although we have cruised on Carnival 6 times, I'm not sure i would sail Carnival again if not for them having the Havana Area which has access limited to passengers 12+ years of age and those staying in the 61 cabins considered Havana Cabins.

"you would not consider the Havana  area "I would not consider booking a Havana cabin at twice the cost of a comparable cabin outside the Havana Area if it was not for the fact that they limit the access to the Havana area as described above.

Bottom line I like the limited access of the Havana Area and think that Carnival did that right on Vista Class ships

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

Bottom line I like the limited access of the Havana Area and think that Carnival did that right on Vista Class ships

Totally agree.  We cruised the Horizon in July 2021 (second cruise after the lockdown) and absolutely loved the Havana area and our aft facing Havana extended balcony.  The peace and serenity of the Havana outdoor area made it one of our favorite cruises.  

4 hours ago, cruisegus said:

lets see if I can clear up the confusion.

"also would not consider Carnival if it were not foe Havana area?"

Although we have cruised on Carnival 6 times, I'm not sure i would sail Carnival again if not for them having the Havana Area which has access limited to passengers 12+ years of age and those staying in the 61 cabins considered Havana Cabins.

"you would not consider the Havana  area "I would not consider booking a Havana cabin at twice the cost of a comparable cabin outside the Havana Area if it was not for the fact that they limit the access to the Havana area as described above.

Got it

On 10/27/2019 at 1:52 AM, Schlinger said:

I booked a cruise on the Carnival Horizon in a Havana cabin after seeing all the positive feedback.  At the time of booking, I did not realize that access was granted to the crowds after 7pm.  If I had known that, I would not have booked a Carnival cruise at all. 

It seems insane to me that they would sell premium cabins at a higher price but that the advantage you're paying for would only be available part-time.  That would be like booking a business class flight where people from tourist class get access after dinner.  Go to the bathroom and find your seat taken by another passenger upon return.  Madness IMHO.  Good to hear they corrected that mistake.  How they could make it to start with is still mysterious to me.  Any ideas ?

We were in the Havana area on the Vista and there was no one at the pools after 7 pm, even when all were allowed.  It was dead.  It was quiet during the day when only Havana area residents had access.  That was the important time.  Loved it.  We loved our time in the Havana area. 

Enforcement is key… sometimes access is not being strictly enforced and IMO it has a lot to do with new crew. Sad 😢 that we pay a premium for the enjoyment of the area but those who don’t seem to get through if they want. And it could be because they designed the area putting public restrooms on the private outdoor area. 🤦🏻‍♀️