Fishing allowed?

SergeM

Brand new to cruising. I look at all the pics and see all that water and I can't imagine not fishing. Anyone know or know of a resource for fishing at some of the Caribbean ports? Don't need a boat. I love surf/pier fishing. As I am looking at NCL solo, is fishing allowed at Harvest Caye? Or should I stick to trying to find some deep sea boat fishing?

Don't know about HC specifically but most places we've been to require a fishing license unless you are doing a deep sea boat trip or similar. I know some itineraries offer fishing excursions so check that out for your cruise. Good luck.

• Like 1

Make sure you know what you'd do if you caught something!   You can't just throw it in a bag and carry it back on the ship.    You'd need to throw it back or arrange locally to have it frozen and shipped home.

There could be exceptions.    I believe on some Alaska cruises, I've seen ship-sponsored tours that specifically allow you to bring your catch back on board to be prepared by the chef.    This is probably not going to happen on the larger, mass-market cruise lines - more likely on the smaller, more upscale ships.   

• Like 1

You might want to get in touch with some fishing guides local to the areas you will be visiting.  I suspect you will find a lot of charter captains but not so much for surf fishing.    Maybe check out and even join some local fishing forums, if they exist.  You might get some leads.  

Good luck.  I'm not that familiar with fishing opportunities in the Caribbean, but chasing some bonefish or barracuda sounds like a fantastic time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SergeM said:

... Anyone know or know of a resource for fishing at some of the Caribbean ports? Don't need a boat. I love surf/pier fishing. As I am looking at NCL solo, is fishing allowed at Harvest Caye? Or should I stick to trying to find some deep sea boat fishing?

Howdy SergeM and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo22.gif

I suggest you research the following Port of Call forums:

Caribbean

Private Islands

Also, you might want to ask your question on the NCL forum to fellow Cruise Critic members that have fished on their NCL cruises.

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif

• Like 2

Fly in a day or two earlier to South Florida and check out either fishing charters in the Miami or Fort Lauderdale area. I personally recommend Capt Taco Fishing Charters in Fort Lauderdale Beach. He’s located right on A1A near the Bahia Mar Hotel. Great boat, great crew and a lot of fun.