Are beverage packages worth the price?

Mrsmac67

Basically a non drinker, glass of wine occasionally.  I do drink a lot of coffee and hubby drinks Coke.  Wondering if Starbucks on the Allure is part of the Refreshment package; if not are the prices in line with a free standing store.

Jo Ellen

If it is a Starbucks branded shop, then it is not included on RCI.  If it is a Cafe Lattitudes, that serves Starbucks coffee, then yes it is.

You will need to do the math.  For us, it pays over the whole cruise.  Well worth it on sea days, break even or slightly negative on port days

3 minutes ago, denmarks said:

Not unless you drink a lot. I used to purchase a coffee card for the cruise.

As an elite I can exchange my free bar setup for 2 coffee packages. That is all I need.

OP is referring to RCI Allure of the Seas which does not have a bar set up or coffee packages.  Elite is also a loyalty tier for Celebrity, which would be reciprocal to Diamond on RCI, but would not have a benefit like that you describe.

11 minutes ago, denmarks said:

Not unless you drink a lot. I used to purchase a coffee card for the cruise.

As an elite I can exchange my free bar setup for 2 coffee packages. That is all I need.

Sorry. I sometimes get carried away. I have an RSS feed for some CC forums and should look at the details before answering.

29 minutes ago, Mrsmac67 said:

Basically a non drinker, glass of wine occasionally.  I do drink a lot of coffee and hubby drinks Coke.  Wondering if Starbucks on the Allure is part of the Refreshment package; if not are the prices in line with a free standing store.

Jo Ellen

Based on this description I would doubt that the beverage package would be worth it, but you would have to do the math. If the Starbucks coffee on board is included, the package costs $38 per day per person, so that would be $532 for 7 night cruise.  That IMO is a lot of coffee and coke as wine is not part of the Refreshment package.  Would you spend that much in a week at home at a Starbucks?

The individual coffe pricing is about the same as it is at home and Cokes are about $3.50 - I would weigh your daily consumption of each to compare and base your decision on that.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The Starbucks on the Allure is a Starbucks. No the beverage packages do not include items from there. You use your SeaPass. There is free coffee available. At about $3.50 per CocaCola your hubby would need to drink at least 10 a day to justify a $38/day price on the refreshment package. It sounds like paying as you go may be more cost effective. However, if you enjoy the freedom to not worry about how much you're spending get the Refreshment Package.

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

The Starbucks on the Allure is a Starbucks. No the beverage packages do not include items from there. You use your SeaPass. There is free coffee available. At about $3.50 per CocaCola your hubby would need to drink at least 10 a day to justify a $38/day price on the refreshment package. It sounds like paying as you go may be more cost effective. However, if you enjoy the freedom to not worry about how much you're spending get the Refreshment Package.

Good clarification - I had forgotten if the one on Allure was actually a Starbucks or not.  Based on that, I would definitely question the value of the Refreshment package as well.

• Thanks 1

Value equals # how many drinks I plan a day on average * cost of average drink * # of days < package price.

Then remember once you got the drink package there are two behaviors possible, drink like a fish to water, I see a lot of those people sitting at the bar, making endless trip to the bar, amazes me that is their idea of fun and value, LOL

In the end I find it works better for me to order what I want, whenI want, I don't need 5 drinks a day, rather have glass of wine with dinner, beer/wine after and a beer maybe at lunch.   Okay that it is on my schedule and I pay a little more, I'm no fish.  

36 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Don't they still sell the soft drink packages?  Seems that might work better for Mr Mac.  

They do and the OP is asking specifically about that when referencing the Refreshment package, which on RCI ships is coffee, tea, water, and soda, and nothing alcoholic.

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Value equals # how many drinks I plan a day on average * cost of average drink * # of days < package price.

Then remember once you got the drink package there are two behaviors possible, drink like a fish to water, I see a lot of those people sitting at the bar, making endless trip to the bar, amazes me that is their idea of fun and value, LOL

In the end I find it works better for me to order what I want, whenI want, I don't need 5 drinks a day, rather have glass of wine with dinner, beer/wine after and a beer maybe at lunch.   Okay that it is on my schedule and I pay a little more, I'm no fish.  

All true and I agree, but in this case the OP is inquiring about the RCI Refreshment package, which as just mentioned, is non-alcoholic.

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

They do and the OP is asking specifically about that when referencing the Refreshment package, which on RCI ships is coffee, tea, water, and soda, and nothing alcoholic.

Yikes, $38/day for soda package.  Seems like not so long ago that it was more like $8 or $10/day  (well, maybe a little while ago but not all that long).   

It also includes fresh squeezed orange juice.  Non-alcoholic "mocktails" like pina coladas, etc.  Also bottled waters.

And specialty coffees, such a lattes, cappuccinos, and espressos. 

So fresh squeezed OJ and a couple of lattes for breakfast.  2 - 3 sodas during the day.  A couple of bottles of water.  A mocktail in the afternoon.  1 - 2 sodas with dinner, another mocktail during the show, and you are about at the break even point.

Similar with the alcohol package, just substitute drinks for sodas during the day.  And wine with dinner.

9 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yikes, $38/day for soda package.  Seems like not so long ago that it was more like $8 or $10/day  (well, maybe a little while ago but not all that long).   

At one time they did offer just a soda package at lower rates but that was merged into the expanded Refreshment package, which along with the items I mentioned includes those indicated by SRF.  Basically a non-alcoholic beverage package.  Still rather pricey IMO.

17 hours ago, Mrsmac67 said:

Wondering if I should buy a beverage package for our upcoming Allure of the Seas Cruise.  Is Starbucks included in the Refreshment Package?  

Thanks!

Jo Ellen

I would prefer if starbucks wasnt included.

Depends on how much you drink and what it costs. All lines a somewhat different.  Princess is something like $60 a day and I think you're limited to 15 drinks a day.  (A freind of ours met the daily limit by 2PM in the afternoon!)  You could drink more, but had to pay the going price per drink after the 15.  We're going on MSC this winter and thier basic drink package came to $22 a day.  A drink or two and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner a day......well worth it!

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, marco said:

Depends on how much you drink and what it costs. All lines a somewhat different.  Princess is something like $60 a day and I think you're limited to 15 drinks a day.  (A freind of ours met the daily limit by 2PM in the afternoon!)  You could drink more, but had to pay the going price per drink after the 15.  We're going on MSC this winter and thier basic drink package came to $22 a day.  A drink or two and a couple of glasses of wine with dinner a day......well worth it!

For $22 a day, a couple of drinks plus wine with dinner seems good.  $38 a day, as earlier mentioned, seems a bit pricey.  There are also significantly more expensive packages out there - which are essentially unlimited — but they would seem likely to incentivize excessive drinking.

i suppose it all boils down to how important drinking is to you.

It doesn't have to be that excessive.

On RCI, a fresh squeezed orange juice and a latte for breakfast.

3 - 4 drinks during the day at the pool.

A drink before dinner and a glass of wine with dinner.

And a frozen drink to go with the show.

Even without a late nigh nightcap, you are ahead of the game.

And I also like the convenience, no slips to sign or deal with.  No checking my cruise account to make sure I have not been charged for drinks I did not purchase.  MUCH easier

6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

For $22 a day, a couple of drinks plus wine with dinner seems good.  $38 a day, as earlier mentioned, seems a bit pricey.  There are also significantly more expensive packages out there - which are essentially unlimited — but they would seem likely to incentivize excessive drinking.

i suppose it all boils down to how important drinking is to you.

Again, the beverage package being discussed by the OP is the Refreshment package, which is the $38 per day per person reference, consists only of non-alcoholic drinks.

The alcohol package on RCI is $89.00 per day per person.  And while it is unlimited drinks, at $1,249 for two per 7-day cruise, that is a lot of $ IMO!