“Emergency” laundry

HMY624

Just a question for some piece of mind or a plan B. Does anyone know if we can get laundry done in an “emergency”? We have 4 kids and last time we sailed (on Carnival so they had laundry facilities) my son got a stomach bug so we had to do several loads of laundry. TIA

34 minutes ago, HMY624 said:

Just a question for some piece of mind or a plan B. Does anyone know if we can get laundry done in an “emergency”? We have 4 kids and last time we sailed (on Carnival so they had laundry facilities) my son got a stomach bug so we had to do several loads of laundry. TIA

No laundry facilities aboard any Royal ships.  You can send laundry out for a fee...

Oh that’s the worst! We brought a travel-sized laundry detergent, travel clothesline and disinfectant wipes for such an occasion, so we could do laundry in the shower or sink, disinfecting afterwards. Worked well for us for a few pieces here and there for our little dude. Good luck!

43 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Ask your stateroom attendant for a wash and fold special bag and explain your emergency 🙂

Sort of this..Definitely rinse in sink and then ask for the wash and fold bag! .But saying stomach bug on a cruise ship can have some other consequences that you should be prepared for..

• Like 3

Has anyone had jeans or shorts washed?  Did they shrink?  I'll be on for 21 nights and don't want to bring more than 2 pairs of jeans and a few pairs of shorts, for during the day, but I also don't want my expensive jeans shrinking.

24 minutes ago, gaylemh said:

Has anyone had jeans or shorts washed?  Did they shrink?  I'll be on for 21 nights and don't want to bring more than 2 pairs of jeans and a few pairs of shorts, for during the day, but I also don't want my expensive jeans shrinking.

Are there any port days in this cruise?  You might want to ask your cabin steward if he knows of any laundromats near the port.

Just now, shofer said:

Are there any port days in this cruise?  You might want to ask your cabin steward if he knows of any laundromats near the port.

The last thing I want to do on a cruise is spend a port day at the laundromat.  I'll pay whatever the cost to have it done on the ship. I just don't want my clothes ruined.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HMY624 said:

I hope this doesn't come across badly, but considering the nature of the emergency, would it be wrong for the items to go into a plastic bag, closed tightly and taken to the trash of the nearest public restroom? Just wondering as I can see myself handling it that way.

3 hours ago, gaylemh said:

Have the ship "dry clean" them instead. This option has worked out great for me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Have the ship "dry clean" them instead. This option has worked out great for me.

I have tried that but the crew decided differently crossed out dry cleaning and washed my jeans shrinking them down at least one size, had to be charity shopped.

13 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I wash clothes in the sink & shower all the time.

Usually bring some sort of laundry soap. 

Hang them on the balcony chairs to dry

Sure, why not. 😉

20190809_090307.thumb.jpg.e2be5c4ec374dfa17f601e56908c721d.jpg

I've found they dry faster in the cabin, less humidity 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gaylemh said:

I would bring a pair of old jeans to wear in emergency/send out for cleaning in case your nice jeans get dirty. I would only send things to the laundry that are not new/irreplaceable/expensive.

They are good but variable. I've had something lost, things faded, things shrunk, things folded nicely, things crammed into bag. You  just never know. I am talking about the laundry bag vs dry cleaning.

9 hours ago, gaylemh said:

I got off 23 nights on Anthem a few weeks ago and sent jeans, shorts and capris to be washed, as well as polo shirts and underwear. Everything came back in the same condition they were sent. I was a little concerned about the shirts but they didn’t shrink at all.   The denim definitely did not shrink at all. 

9 hours ago, gaylemh said:

I had a back to back and relied on a pair of white jeans. There was not too much room in them when I walked on the ship, and I was really worried about them becoming too small (😄 note to self-exercise more on board) and I was afraid to send them to the laundry.

I washed them in the shower blotted them and it took about 24 hours but they finally did dry.

I’ve sent dry cleaning , but I’m afraid if you send it out and for laundry it will be washed in hot water.

by the way, walked off the ship with them and they still fit -yay 

If needed, we use the wash and fold, we use some of the laundry for dress shirts for a long cruise, and we use dry cleaning. Most of my items are hand washed blotted and dried in the cabin or on the balcony

m

44 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

good point- our experience also

m

I have found this to be true too.  I hand wash some items--but have never done jeans--then roll them in towels to blot up extra moisture, then hang them in the shower.  They seem to dry much faster than outside, which was surprising to me.  I think the key is rolling them in towels.

1 minute ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I have found this to be true too.  I hand wash some items--but have never done jeans--then roll them in towels to blot up extra moisture, then hang them in the shower.  They seem to dry much faster than outside, which was surprising to me.  I think the key is rolling them in towels.

Ships air conditioning is also a dehumidifier. Once they stop dripping, hang them from the air conditioner vents. Air flow is important