“Emergency” laundry

HMY624

11 hours ago, gaylemh said:

Has anyone had jeans or shorts washed?  Did they shrink?  I'll be on for 21 nights and don't want to bring more than 2 pairs of jeans and a few pairs of shorts, for during the day, but I also don't want my expensive jeans shrinking.

everything gets tossed into a  laundry bag and boiled  in water and dried in a volcano.   general consensus is the  wash and fold service is good for undies and  tee shirts  and not much else.  

to freshen heavier garments, I use fabric refresh stuff ( you can make your own by stuffing a dryer sheet in a spray bottle and filling with water)  but in reality I pretty much never pack jeans.   I pack  travel friendly  knits and khakis or casual maxi dresses

• Like 1

16 hours ago, matj2000 said:

I wash clothes in the sink & shower all the time.

Usually bring some sort of laundry soap. 

Hang them on the balcony chairs to dry

No need to bring detergent. The glop in the shower works just fine. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hogbay said:

Everyone blaming the ships laundry for clothes shrinking even those who didn't use it .... no one blaming Windjammer 😁😀😂

HAHA! My husband and I went to an all inclusive in Cabo for two weeks in December and we had laundry service done. They wrapped every piece of clothing, even tank tops and underwear, in individual pieces of tissue paper. He tried to blame his tight pants on the 5 star laundry service and not the 7 restaurants in the resort 😃😃 
Now on Royal, I haven't had any issues with legitimate shrinking but even at home I usually wash and dry my jeans/shorts so they are already as shrunk as they are going to get. 

I bought a camping clothesline online for our 27 day cruise. We washed undies in the sink, DH strung the clothesline from drapes to tv, we hung out wash with clothespins and went to bed. In the morning everything was dry. 

If anyone had looked, though, we would have looked like a Charlie Chaplin movie. 

13 hours ago, gaylemh said:

Has anyone had jeans or shorts washed?  Did they shrink?  I'll be on for 21 nights and don't want to bring more than 2 pairs of jeans and a few pairs of shorts, for during the day, but I also don't want my expensive jeans shrinking.

I have never had anything shrink but I have had t shirts come back different colors. Red came back burgundy and black came back a dark grey.

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Ships air conditioning is also a dehumidifier. Once they stop dripping, hang them from the air conditioner vents. Air flow is important 

A/C's job is to remove humidity from the air which helps cool the air.  I always dry swimsuits in the bathroom and they dry pretty quickly, overnight.  We normally only put t-shirts, socks and underwear in the laundry onboard for our free bags.  I did send a pair of 100% cotton shorts one time. Big mistake as they came back really crumpled/wrinkled even though folded, but that's what cotton does.  I wouldn't send good clothes except for dry cleaning.

Edited by BND

13 hours ago, gaylemh said:

The last thing I want to do on a cruise is spend a port day at the laundromat.  I'll pay whatever the cost to have it done on the ship. I just don't want my clothes ruined.

The problem is that they wash everything in very hot water and anything delicate will be ruined.  They do not guarantee the results.

11 hours ago, UKWLDCruise said:

I have tried that but the crew decided differently crossed out dry cleaning and washed my jeans shrinking them down at least one size, had to be charity shopped.

That shouldn't have been done if you filled out the "dry clean" pricing list hanging in the in-cabin closet properly....Hard to believe they would change your request. Dry Clean vs Laundry isn't the same thing at all !

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

That shouldn't have been done if you filled out the "dry clean" pricing list hanging in the in-cabin closet properly....Hard to believe they would change your request. Dry Clean vs Laundry isn't the same thing at all !

Agree. 

4 hours ago, Hogbay said:

Everyone blaming the ships laundry for clothes shrinking even those who didn't use it .... no one blaming Windjammer 😁😀😂

Funny. Thanks. 

we usually blame the “salt air” but it is more likely the salt in the food. 
m

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Agree, I've never heard of this or experienced it myself.

15 hours ago, BND said:

A/C's job is to remove humidity from the air which helps cool the air.  

No, AC does both.  It cools the air AND removes humidity.

Most AC coils run around 36-40F.  This condenses out a lot of the moisture.  And also cools the air.  The cool, dehumidified air is delivered to the space, where it mixes with the warmer, moister air, to give you the proper temperature and humidity.

If the system is properly designed and sized, it does both in balance.  If you have ever been to a large venue which is under populated, you will see what happens when the system is oversized.  You get either the right temperature, but humid, or you get very cold, but proper humidity.

15 hours ago, Ashland said:

it happened in the mid 90s and RC paid up so yes the crew decided to change the cleaning method.

I suggest you budget for laundry services.  It truly isn't wise to hang clothes on your balcony, nor make your cabin look like a obstacle course.  The laundry service, especially for the kids would be a wise decision.  We typically use the service and I give all washable garments to them without a problem.  They also do dry cleaning if necessary.  

It is your vacation, you shouldn't have to worry about doing laundry.

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 10/28/2019 at 11:23 PM, gaylemh said:

That's what I'm trying to find out.  If anyone had any experience with laundry.

Yes, and everything goes in a super hot dryer so if it's cotton it will shrink.  Best limited to socks, underwear, blended fabrics and t-shirts that have already been washed multiple times.

On 10/29/2019 at 2:10 AM, Ashland said:

Have the ship "dry clean" them instead. This option has worked out great for me.

I sent a pair of white linen pants to be dry cleaned and it appeared that they laundered them instead because they shrank in the process.  So be warned that even if you say dry clean, they might get laundered.

21 hours ago, Hogbay said:

In the case above, I paid for same day service and I assure you I did not gain 10 lbs in between trying the pants on in the morning and getting them back late afternoon.

18 hours ago, shofer said:

The problem is that they wash everything in very hot water and anything delicate will be ruined.  They do not guarantee the results.

More than the hot water, it's the super hot dryers they use.  They are designed to wash massive quantities of linens so they need to dryers to work in minimal time.  That means high powered and hot. Your cotton/linen clothes don't stand a chance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP - we have done the laundry bag wash and fold multiple times.  It’s worth the 25-35$ they have charged us. 

We use the bag for socks, underwear, t-shirts, work out gear, PJs and sometimes shorts.     We don’t put in things we think might bleed or have never been dried at home before.     

We wash some things in our room if needed and have used both the in room and balcony drying methods.   On humid days - in room is much better.   And always      Use the roll the items in a towel to get the moisture out method when possible.  Significantly reducing drying time.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

No, AC does both.  It cools the air AND removes humidity.

Most AC coils run around 36-40F.  This condenses out a lot of the moisture.  And also cools the air.  The cool, dehumidified air is delivered to the space, where it mixes with the warmer, moister air, to give you the proper temperature and humidity.

If the system is properly designed and sized, it does both in balance.  If you have ever been to a large venue which is under populated, you will see what happens when the system is oversized.  You get either the right temperature, but humid, or you get very cold, but proper humidity.

I never said it didn't cool the air also, so that NO wasn't necessary, but part of that is removing humidity which also helps cool the air.  I know how A/C works.  Why wouldn't I have ever been to a large venue?  I also have lived my life in hot and humid states so lots of experience with A/C. But, thanks for the "education".

Edited by BND

1 hour ago, BND said:

I never said it didn't cool the air also, so that NO wasn't necessary, but part of that is removing humidity which also helps cool the air.  I know how A/C works.  Why wouldn't I have ever been to a large venue?  I also have lived my life in hot and humid states so lots of experience with A/C. But, thanks for the "education".

This is what you said - "A/C's job is to remove humidity from the air which helps cool the air."

Which is an incorrect statement.  It removes humidity AND/WHILE it cools the air.  Your statement implies the the remove of humidity cools the air.